Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #1  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Talking I am doing a 30 day Juice fast but eating Clean/Whole after

Hello ladies I am on day 3 of my 30 day (maybe more) Juicing fast of nothing but veggies and fruit. I do eat veggies and fruit in between my juice/meals if needed. I am doing it for weight loss/ health reasons, I started this at 230 this Monday morning. So I just wanted to say hey and see if anyone else has juiced before.
Michelle
707Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I have juiced but not as a fast. I might do more juicing again over the summer since my in-laws friend gave me his juicer (his ex wife bought it and he has no use for it). I don't think I'll do a fast though. Too much sugar and I'd probably just go binge on something.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

My parents do juicing but not as a fast either like PP said. Good luck, this sounds like it would be hard, for such a long period of time too! Just make sure you still get your protein and other necessary nutrients somehow
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

I have recently gotten into juicing and really enjoy it. I got a slow juicer so they are much quieter than the ones that sound like a plane taking off in your kitchen. I find the process of prepping the fruit and veggies and feeding them into the juicer very zen. I have thought about doing a juice fast but since I am out of the house most of the day I am not sure how well it would work. I might be laid off for a short period over the summer so that might be the time to try it out.

I have heard of people having incredible health and weight results from juicing and my goal would be to deal with on going energy issues and a major sugar addiction.

I will be watching this thread and hope to get some inspiration from you maybe even join you for a couple days!
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #5  

good luck let us know how it goes!
skinnyscow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/251/145

Height: 5 Feet, 5 1/2 Inches

How is your juice fast going? I just started a 60 day juicing fast. I am a whole foods girl anyway, but still have lots of trouble losing weight. Are you still juicing?
Isabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #7  

Height: 5' 7"

I did just juice for 10 days and enjoyed it. 80% green, 20 fruit. I was not hungry although there is mental hunger. I am a vegetarian and started craving fast food that def does not fit into my lifestyle! Once the fast was done I did not crave or eat what I should not! I did not have detox symptoms perhaps because I was eating healthy before I started. I did lose .5 lbs per day and since I lose slowly, this was great. I would add chia seeds to keep your GI system moving.
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I did a juice cleanse for 30 days and lost 25 lbs. It was great!!!! I will do another one after Mother's Day. I need to lose another 20 lbs and this will get rid of it.

I love juicing !!!!!!!!!!!!
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #9  

LAgreeneyes- Good job! Congratulations!! I started my juice fast, trying to go 60 days and was doing well, however I only made it 10 days. How do you go the whole 30 days? After the 10 I started eating even worse than before the juice cleanse. Doesn't help that I work in a market and have to smell fresh cooked pizzas and other foods all day long!

What kind of juices did you drink? I was making mean green and a carrot type combo (plus one fruit juice smoothie in the morning). I found that by the 8th or 9th day the juices started tasting really horrible to me! I almost wanted to throw up when I was drinking them. So did you mix your juices up? Did you have any hurdles to overcome?

I just started again this morning. I really love the way the juicing makes my body feel (energetic and light). I want to do it at least the month of May and see how much real weight I can lose. I need some advice on how to overcome my hurdles. Did you also exercise?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabunny View Post
LAgreeneyes- Good job! Congratulations!! I started my juice fast, trying to go 60 days and was doing well, however I only made it 10 days. How do you go the whole 30 days? After the 10 I started eating even worse than before the juice cleanse. Doesn't help that I work in a market and have to smell fresh cooked pizzas and other foods all day long!

What kind of juices did you drink? I was making mean green and a carrot type combo (plus one fruit juice smoothie in the morning). I found that by the 8th or 9th day the juices started tasting really horrible to me! I almost wanted to throw up when I was drinking them. So did you mix your juices up? Did you have any hurdles to overcome?

I just started again this morning. I really love the way the juicing makes my body feel (energetic and light). I want to do it at least the month of May and see how much real weight I can lose. I need some advice on how to overcome my hurdles. Did you also exercise?
Thank you. The first 3 or 4 days was TERRIBLE!!!!

For me, it was the mind set and determination. I was determined to lose weight. I hated the way I looked in the mirror and I hated the way I felt. I was always out of breath, so that was my motivation to not quit.

I juiced any and everything that I could. Here are some of the fruit and vegetables that I juiced:

Fruit
Grapes
Apples
Oranges
Pineapples
Mangos
Grapefruit
Lemons
Limes

Veggies
Beets (MY FAVORITE)
Carrots
Spinach
Tomatoes
Celery
Kale
Collard Greens
Red Lettuce
Green Lettuce
Cabbage
Sweet Potatoes

I didn't have any special recipes. I juiced and mixed whatever I thought would taste good. It was always a different mixture every day.

There were several times that I just REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted something to eat. So, on those days, I steamed 1 cup of cabbage and I was FINE. Another day, I steamed 1 cup of rice and I was fine. All in all, I probably got hungry maybe 5 times during the 30 day juice cleanse so I steamed veggies or ate a piece of fruit. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

The only advice that I can give you as far as overcoming your hurdles is to do what I did. If you feel hungry, please allow yourself some fruit or steamed veggies. That is the ONLY way I was able to do it. It was pure H*** for the first few days but I was determined that I was not going to fail. I had read about the estimated weight loss that a person could have doing the 30 day cleanse and I wanted to see if all of the stories were true. And they were.

Believe it or not, I DID NOT exercise and still lost all of that weight. I will do another juice cleanse (but this time only 10 days) after Mother's Day and I will incorporate exercise ALL 10 days. I want to see what the effects of exercise has in combination with the juice cleanse. I will track my weight loss.

After the 30 days, I had trained my body NOT to be so hungry and had learned in the process what to eat AFTER I had completed the juice cleanse. I didn't want all of the yucky stuff and toxins in my body, so I was determined to continue to eat healthy after the cleanse. Some people say that people gain the weight back after the juice cleanse but I didn't want to be a statistic. I stayed on track and have lost 40lbs to date and I have about 20 more lbs to go (my breasts probably 20lbs).

So to answer your questions.

I was able to complete the 30 days by allowing myself a few small "healthy" meals to chew on when I got hungry.

The hurdle that I had to overcome was getting hungry every now and then. Another hurdle I had to overcome was at work when my co-workers were in the kitchen warming up and heating food in the microwave and I had to smell the food. I left the building and sat in my truck and drank my juice and listened to the radio. Sounds like you may not be able to remove yourself.

The kind of juices that I drank are listed above. I mixed and tried new things. Don't get bored drinking the same thing. Mix it up. Have fun with it.

Maybe you should just try 10 days at a time (for 3 times) instead of 30 days.

If you want to partner up and go at it as a team and support one another, I don't mind juicing with you. We can keep in contact by posting and talk through our progress, our struggle and ideas. Just let me know. I could always use a partner to motivate me as well and vice versa.

Tell me about your juicing. What did you do? What did you juice? How often? Let's hear your story.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #11  

I was reading a magazine today and I found these recipes.

Greens Lover Juice
3 Kale leaves
1 bunch of Cilantro
1 cup of spinach
1 cucumber
1 - 2 carrots
1 green apple

Combine ingredients and juice.

Green Clean Juice
1 lime
1 lemon
1 large cucumber
1 handful basil
1 handful mint
2 handfuls of spinach
Ginger to taste

Combine ingredients and juice.

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 05-01-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #12  

Top Delicious Green Juice Recipes:

Perfect Morning Essential: 4-6 Carrots, 4 stalks of Celery, 1 Lemon , 1 Macintosh or Yellow Apple

Hot Afternoon Boost: Up 4-6 Carrots, 4-6 stalks Celery, 1/2 bunch Cilantro, 2 Roma Tomatoes, 1 Lemon

Power After-Workout Drink: 1/2 Romaine lettuce, 3-4 leaves of Kale, 3-4 Carrots, 1/2 bunch Carrot top, 1 Apple, 1 Lime

Serious Detox: 1/2 sour green Apple, 1 Lime, 1 large Beet, 3-4 leaves Beet tops, 3-4 Carrots, 3-4 Celery stalks, small piece of Ginger

Excellent Craving Response: 3-4 large leaves of Kale, 1 whole stalk of Leek, 1 Lime, 1 large Tomato, 1/2 bunch Cilantro, 3-4 Carrots, small piece of Ginger

Delightful Green Snack: 1/2 of red Cabbage, 3-4 stalks of Celery, 4-5 leaves of Kale, 1 Lemon, 1 Lime, 1 Apple, small piece of fresh Ginger

Sweet Filling Delight: 3 cups fresh baby Spinach, 1 Lime, 1 large Tomato, 2-3 Carrots and 1/2 Carrot top bunch, 1/2 bunch Parsley, 1 stalk Celery

Quick Cleansing Drink: 2-3 Carrots, 4 Cucumbers, small piece of fresh Ginger, 1 Lemon, 1 whole Beet

Variety Vitamin Drink: 1 Lemon, 2 cups of Alfa Alfa Sprouts, small piece of fresh Ginger, 2 Carrots, 3 Cucumbers, 1/2 bunch Parsley

Exquisite Green Goodness: 3-4 leaves of Kale, 5 large Romaine Lettuce leaves, 1 Beet, 1/2 bunch of Cilantro, 1 Lime, 2 cups fresh Spinach, 1/2 Apple

Note 1: These recipes make roughly 24-28 oz. This depends the efficiency of your masticating juicer works dryness of the pulp.

Note 2: Leeks and Cabbage are challenging on some juicers so check your juicer’s instructions.

Note 3: You may taste some bitterness in these juices. If you do, add an Apple or a Tomato for taste.

Yummy Fruit Juice Recipes:

Please be ware of the sugar intake with fructose in fruit juices. In general, try to limit your fruit juices to 1-2 cups a day.

Refreshment in a Cup: 1 whole Cantaloupe, Frozen Trader Joe’s Strawberries – My favorite!

Sweet & Tart: 1 Orange, 1 Grapefruit, 1 Macintosh Apple, 1 Lemon

Citrus Essential: 2 Oranges, 1 Macintosh Apple, 1 Lemon

For the Love of Watermelon: An entire watermelon, all by itself, not mixed with anything else – Excellent for hot summer days!

Always peel your oranges, tangerines, and grapefruits before juicing. You do not need to peel limes or lemons. They add a mildly bitter taste to the juice unpeeled.

Mean Green Juice (original)
This is the official recipe used by Joe Cross and Phil Staples according to the Reboot Program.
6 Kale Leaves
1 Cucumber
4 Celery Stalks
2 Green Apples
1/2 Lemon
1 piece of ginger

Mean Green Juice #2
handful spinach
3 stalks of kale
2 golden delicious apples
small handful parsley
1 lemon
1 cucumber

Mean Green Juice #3
2 stalks celery
1/2 cucumber
1/2 apple
1/2 lemon
small piece ginger
1/2 green chard leaf
bunch cilantro
5 kale leaves
handful spinach

Mean Green Juice #4
1/2 pear
1/2 green apple
handful spinach
handful parsley
2 celery stalks
1/2 cucumber
small piece ginger
slice of papaya

NOTES FOR MAKING JUICE
peel or slice off lemon rind leaving some of the white pith
to juice small leaves such as parsley and cilantro, roll them up into a ball to compact the leaves
wash all vegetables and fruits before making juice
buy organic if possible

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 05-01-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #13  
Nutritarian

S/C/G: 289/257.8/125

Height: 5'4"

After watching "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" on Netflix, I too would love to do a juice fast. I am waiting to get a job/income before buying a juicer though.

It's great to hear about your progress =) Right now I am eating only whole foods so transitioning into a juice fast shouldn't be too big a problem for me.
Laifierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:08 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/138

Height: 5'4"

Thank you for the recipes, LAgreeneyes. I needed more ideas.
sunshauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #15  

LAgreeneyes: Thanks for all the awesome information! I did start the juice diet on Monday, but just couldn't stomach the juice. I used to love the juice, but my stomach is not into it! So I am going to do it a little different. Started the May OP Challenge. Going to do 3-4 juices a day and one healthy small meal. I am definitly going to do juices and smoothies to change it up a bit. I am also going to try some of the premade juices from Odwalla to cut down on all the prep. Also that will give me something to eat/drink at work. I work at a market with tons of prepared foods and the sights/smells really get to me. I work four hours straight without a break. By the time my break comes around, I have seen so much yummy food that it is so hard to stay on a juice diet! Buying an Odwalla, gives me something to look forward to drinking and a little more variety.

I want to incorporate exercise again into my day. I stopped exercising 3 months ago when I started my new job. I am on my feet for 8 hours a day (only sitting for a 1/2 hour break in the middle). My feet/back would hurt so much after my shift it was crazy. Exercising on top was too much. Now I am more accustomed to standing for long periods of time and no longer have the aches and pains. However I exercised on Monday morning then worked a shift. My legs hurt for the last couple of hours and the next day. Wish me luck in incorporating exercise into my day. I know I can do it! It will just take awhile to get through the aches and pains.

The May OP challenge has started. DO you guys want to join in?
Thank you! Thank you! Thank You!

Last edited by Isabunny; 05-02-2012 at 08:56 AM.