Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Thoughts on what I could be doing wrong

Hello all. I don't normally post on this forum but thought I would tell you what happened and maybe someone could give me some tips. I am not new to strength training. I have belonged to 2 or 3 different gyms, have done free weights and machines and worked with trainers so I am pretty confident that I know what I am doing as far as my form goes. I had not done any training in years and started back at the beginning of the year following a routine in a book. It's a good book, nothing unreasonable or too advanced for my out of shape condition. I am not stupid enough to launch into something that is going to hurt me. I was doing about 20 minutes of strength training 3 times a week with a day off in between for rest, most of the training was using body weight or light dumbbells. I did about 3 weeks and the 3rd week I had the worst back pain of my life at the end of the week. I had to take narcotics for 2 days to get rid of the pain, also used a heating pad on my back and was pretty much in bed for those 2 days. I laid off doing any kind of exercise for about a week and then started back walking on my treadmill (I had been walking/jogging about 1-2 miles daily) and again started on my strength training. 1 session into it and again with the back pain, again I stopped the strength training but kept walking on my treadmill. This past weekend I may have strained my back cleaning the bathtub as I had some back pain but it was not nearly as intense as the other 2 episodes. I am positive that I was using correct form when I was strength training and not overdoing it but obviously I have done something to my back. The question is what do I do now? I don't know if there is any use in going to the doctor, what is she going to do? Any suggestions??
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

Maybe it's not from the weight training ?
Is there another possibility ?
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

What exercise were you doing when you experienced the pull? Usually, if you tweak something while lifting, you feel it right away.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #4  
Jen

I didn't have any problems when I was doing my work out. The pain started on a Friday, my last strength training was the previous Wednesday. It seems odd to me that it could have been working out but I can't think of what else it could be. I had this terrific pain for 2 days, then another episode the day after I started and then again after I think I probably strained my back cleaning the bathtub. I feel like I've got some kind of soft tissue injury but I've been resting it plenty and definitely not over exerting any more by working out doing strength training. It's possible it is something else, it was mid lower back, it could have been something with my kidneys I suppose but other than that back pain I have been symptom free. It's very strange.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

Do weight training lying on flat surface or on stability ball. You must have a weak muscle. Give it rest for few days. Also if your muscles are not warm when you start weight training, you get muscle pains. So do run on treadmill for 15-20 minutes and then start weight training. Try waistband. But pl do not do any exercise without support.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #6  
Jen

Thanks for the suggestions! I always warm up first with treadmill walking/jogging but a good idea to do some training lying down until I strengthen my back and core. Thanks!