PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

Unhappy Newly diagnosed, lots of questions!

Hi Everyone,

I am 29 years old and just recently was diagnosed with a "mild" form of PCOS.

Currently, my weight is 145. I am working towards 130. I am 5'5". I am a vegetarian, and eat mostly organically.

I've seen every doctor imaginable since the symptoms started. (Irregular periods - normal monthly period, then 2 weeks later spotting, which turned into a mini period. Mild pelvic pain. Ovary pain. Just recently I noticed thinning hair at forehead.)

The endo doctor looked bored with me and said I had a mild form. Didn't explain anything beyond that.

Is there such a thing as a mild form? I thought you either have it, or you don't.

I keep reading it's best to lose weight to minimize the symptoms. I'm in the normal weight range now. The lowest I should be is 118. If I make it to that, would the symptoms/disease disappear?

How often do you have your hormone levels checked when you have PCOS?

Is there anything I should be eating or not eating?

I don't have any of the unusual hair growth, but as I stated above, my hair is slightly thinning along my brow. Anything to help with that?

Thank you all so much for this amazing forum! I look forward to reading through it and educating myself about this disease.

Lastly, should I have children, is this likely to be passed on?

Thanks!!!!!
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/130/110

Height: 5'4"

Hi thepapillon,

I'm in the same boat as you. I was recently diagnosed. We're of similar height and weight. And yes, there is such thing as a mild form, in terms of the symptoms range from a wide spectrum. I have been put on Metformin, and started taking it approximately one week ago.

I have been working out and eating healthily, but for some reason, my weight has increased by 20lbs in the last 3 months. I've missed my periods. My dietician agreed that my weight should be lower with all my intense exercise (I do P90x 5 days a week; 30DS 1-2 days a week).

My mom has PCOS, so I do think it's inherited.

A low-carb diet is best, so I've heard. And regular exercise and healthy eating habits, etc.

I have noticed too much extra hair growth, because I do laser. But I noticed more breakouts, definitely.

I would also like some insight into your questions.
AllisonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepapillon View Post
Is there such a thing as a mild form? I thought you either have it, or you don't.
You have a mild form in the sense that your symptoms are not as extreme as other people. As you read on this forum, you'll see all kinds of folks, some who exhibit some symptoms really strongly, others who don't have it.

Astrophe (one of the members here) posted a poll that's now a sticky that has all the different types of PCOS. You could have a mild form of one of those types.

Quote:
I keep reading it's best to lose weight to minimize the symptoms. I'm in the normal weight range now. The lowest I should be is 118. If I make it to that, would the symptoms/disease disappear?
The disease doesn't just disappear. Symptoms can get better, which is why doctors always recommend to eat healthy, lose weight, and treat it with medicine. Some symptoms may never go away.

Quote:
I go to my reproductive endocrinologist once a year now and he checks it. Last time, he was pretty happy with my results, because my blood work doesn't show any indication that I have PCOS. My hormones are within range, etc. However, that doesn't take away that I have PCOS and my struggling weight loss (I'm stalled right now at 160-165) is a symptom of it.

Quote:
This really depends on whether you're insulin resistant (IR) or not. Usually, PCOS is associated with similar issues as diabetes. So, if you are IR, then usually eating a very healthy diet, with lots of fiber and no crappy carbs (as I call them -- cookies, cakes, white rice, etc.) is the way to go. Depending on your body, whole carbs, like brown/black rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta may be fine. It may not be for others, who have to eliminate them.

Quote:
I don't have any of the unusual hair growth, but as I stated above, my hair is slightly thinning along my brow. Anything to help with that?
If your hormones are off, then that's partly a result of it and if you bring them under control, you can get some of that hair back. It kind of depends on your body and what's going on there.

Quote:
It may, it may not be. My mother does NOT have PCOS (as far as we know) but my father does have diabetes -- as do a lot of his family members. Therefore, in my case, I see the link between my father's genes and my own PCOS/IR stuff.

The thing that I've been reading recently is that while PCOS is a crappy thing to have now in this world of abundance, it wasn't in the past. An article that I was reading indicated that diseases like PCOS might actually just be our bodies being super-efficient at managing calories and allowed women with these symptoms to survive periods of famine, while "normal" women died. Therefore, those genes were passed on to their daughters and sons, who then kept passing it on as they survived famines. The problem, nowadays, of course, is that we aren't in famines and we are probably eating too much for our own good.

So, don't feel depressed about this. It's a manageable thing to have, it just takes some education.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #4  
Medifast Newb

S/C/G: 269/243/140

Height: 5'2"

For your eyebrows you can go to a makeup counter and ask to be matched for a brow pencil. Then ask if they can show you how to use it.
medifaster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
The endo doctor looked bored with me and said I had a mild form. Didn't explain anything beyond that.

You do have it or you don't. What you may/may not have is symptoms presenting in a big way or a smaller way.

PCOS patients present in at least 5 ways -- check it out.

Though it has no cure, it CAN be managed and symptoms fade back.

Quote:
Sounds like you are a thincyster -- not all PCOSers are overweight.
Quote:
I get labs every 3-4 mos, but I have extra issues like hypothyroid. It will depend on the patient.

Here's the inciid PCOS FAQ. It tells you more about labs and things.

Mary's PCOS faq suggests lower carb.

Nutrition Summary from Dietitian's Guide

Hormone Balance suggestions

Natural Solutions book can largely be read at google books.

It's going to largely be up to you, but low GI, whole foods, and lower carb doesn't hurt. 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% fat is a common enough split.

Quote:
Check on thyroid -- that can also add to that. Or it can just be age. How were your androgens?

Quote:
People aren't totally sure yet. I watch my kid like a hawk but she isn't anywhere close to puberty.

I think it is passed on and some studies suggests it is in chromosome 19. There's some initial articles online but it's the tip of the iceberg still. That's just one article.

But I have it and my sister does not. So child could be "carrier" rather than full on PCOSer. YKWIM? It is simply too early to tell. In my fam we have a lot of diabetes on the dad side and then there's cousins on both mom and dad side who are PCOS, I'm just the oldest one. Sooooo.... I'm thinking I get the dbl dose from both sides.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-24-2012 at 08:28 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote