Old 03-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Does Using Crystal Light Hinder Weightloss?

I've always wondered if Crystal Light stalls weight loss or water retention, or cause cravings. I drink a lot of water each day BUT with the help of a flavor added. I can't drink all the water i need to if it's plain. It's torture for me

Anyone know if it slows retention during TOM especially or in general?

Thanks!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #2  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

I drank it for a long, long time and it never had an effect. But every body will react differently.

I stopped because I started forcing myself to drink tap water and Crystal Light was then way too sweet for me. Now, for something different, I'll buy those carbonated flavored waters you can find at grocery stores.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 193.4 / 133.0 / 120

Height: 5'1

I drank crystal light a LOT. Never hurt my weight loss at all =)
hle82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/see tracker/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Rose View Post
Now, for something different, I'll buy those carbonated flavored waters you can find at grocery stores.
That's what I do! I love those flavored waters!

As for Crystal light...I haven't noticed anything with me personally but like another member posted, everybody reacts differently to certain foods/drinks. Try stopping crystal light for week and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then you know its the culprit.
kireos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I agree, it depends on the person. For some people, the sweet flavor may trigger cravings. But I don't think it'll make you gain any weight unless you're consuming unholy amounts of it (it's like 10 cals a pack).

For me, I like it but I usually drink my water plain. But some days I need something with flavor. However, if I drink too much of it I get (TMI, maybe) really gassy. It's the sweetener in it that does it. I'm more sensitive to it than some people.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM   #6  

I think I read somewhere that Nutrasweet will trick your body into producing insulin..so...I suppose with some people that would make you store fat instead of burning it.
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

For me it never did. I drink it quite a bit, but in addition to lots of water and tea.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #8  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

I found it too sweet for me so now I put a squirt of lemon or lime juice in my water if I need a little flavor. I do this especially for the container I take to the gym
nancylmrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I lasted a bottle and a half of plain water....back to the flavored lol!! I found a zero calorie iced tea powder that tastes good
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #10  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

I gave up Diet Coke at home (used to drink 6+ cans a day) a year ago, and so I used Crystal light as a transition item. I try to still have more plain water than crystal light, but its a great thing when I just need some flavor. My husband and I probably go through 10 jugs a week of crystal light.

I love the variety of flavors, it really helps me to stay away from soda!
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've done a lot of experimenting, adding and subtracting all sorts of things from my diet, and I've learned a lot about how my body reacts to certain foods (this may not be true for everyone) but for me

Calories matter the most. Carbohydrates come in a close second. On low-carb I experience a lot less hunger and even some symptom improvements in many of my health issues.

I've noticed that sweeteners do sometimes increase my hunger and cravings, especially for sweet foods, but to gain weight I have to indulge that hunger. As long as I stick to my calorie and carb limits, I lose just as much weight with Crystal Light and other artificially sweetened foods as without.

As for Crystal Light being too sweet, I agree, but there's a very simple solution. Use more water than the "recipe" on the box calls for.

I wanted to get some of the antioxidant benefits of tea, but I wasn't a fan of the flavor, so I started making refrigerator tea. I'd add one packet of Crystal Light to a gallon pitcher of water (twice the water recommended on the Crystal Light label), and then threw in a few tea bags for 24 hours or more.

Half-strength is now my preference, whether or not I add tea.

I do believe that sweetness is somewhat "addictive" (not the best word, but I can't think of a better one). The more you eat, the more you want, and the more it takes to satisfy the "sweet tooth," but I think many flavors are like that. Saltiness and the spiciness hot pepper for example. The more you eat, and the more often you eat, the more intense you need to get the same amount of pleasure.

I don' t think that means we should avoid all salty, sweet, or spicy foods, it just means we need to be aware that our tastebuds are easily influenced by what we are eating.

The less sweet things I eat (and the less sweet they are) the less sweet I want, but it's just as true of salt and spiciness.

I have never eaten much salt, so I don't have much of a salt tooth, but I do crave spicy and sweet foods, but those cravings are influenced by how much and how often I eat them. I used to eat spicier and spicier food, and if I hadn't met my husband, I probably would have continued. My hubby is a "wimp" when it comes to spicy foods, so I started eating less spicy food and spicy food less frequently. As a result my tolerance and preference for spicy food has also dropped (and it would increase if I started eating more spicy food more frequently again).

But just because a food increases preferences and cravings, doesn't mean a person has to indulge those cravings.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote