Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

Default What can I do until shins heal

I have had shin issues for a long time, but finally got them where I could take walks with little to know pain. I spend quite a bit on my shoes because I know it is important to have good shoes. I was having problems with the last pair of asics I bought so I went to a specialty store and had some one watch me walk and look at my other shoes. They sold me some shoes and now my shins are in so much pain. I have been back to the store once so they could put something in the shoe to help, but again made it worse. I am going back tomorrow but I am not hopeful of the outcome. Long story short, what can I do while my shins are healing? I have finally started losing weight and am afraid if I stop working out now I won't lose anymore weight. Any advice?
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #2  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

S/C/G: 178/172/130

Height: 5'

I would go to the foot doc and have him tell you the kind of shoes you need. I would not trust someone at a shoe store tell me. What kind of training have they had?

To help with shin splints (I assume that is what your pain is) if you do stretches for your shins that will help. Put your toes on a step and let your heel hang off....then raise and lower yourself (to the degree you can stand it). Works wonders for stretching out the muscles and relieving the pain. Also, ice. After you tolerate your exercise (yes I say tolerate because I know how shin splints hurt)....ice them down. Stretch, exercise, stretch, ice.
peachypeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Rest Ice, Compression, Elevate. Then stretch. On one of the running sites there is a whole stretching regimin to heal shin splints. Worked marvelous for me. If you do a search on them (can't remember if it was cool running or somewhere else). Basically, stretch by keeping toes on a step and dropping heals off. Then do calf raises. Then wall across a room on toes then back on just heals. Repeat 3 times. Then take a band and wrap around the ball of your feet and push down 10 times, then rotate left and then right 10 times. Do this twice a day along with icing. Works like magic!!!
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I'm having shin issues, too. Bad bone pain, like someone kicked me. I went to the doc just to make sure it wasn't a stress fracture. He said that it's my body saying "I don't like this running thing" and that it could respond by building more mineral and getting stronger. I've been icing it for a few days, and ran on it for about .7 miles last night (walked for 3). It hurt like the dickens, but since I knew it wasn't injured, I just kept visualizing mineral growth.

If its more muscular than bone, then I agree that those stretches will help. Try also shortening your stride. Good luck!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 AM   #5  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

Also, potassium supplements can help. I know that potassium will help with muscle cramps so I am testing it to see if it helps with my shin splints. My bf says it has helped his.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

*true* shin splints are a form of tendonitis-- medial tibial tendonitis. The correct shoes and/or inserts will "cure" it. You may have to get custom orthodics to fix it. The tendonitis wont go away on its own because its caused by a biomechanical feature of your body/legs/feet/gait wahtevver. If i remember correctly people who who supinate and/or have flat feet are more prone to shin splints. Also, learning to change your gait can have aneffect as well.

Good luck
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #7  

Thanks for all the advice. The shoe store I go to is owned by a podiatrist so I trust what he says, but I am starting to question this last pair of shoes I bought there. I supinate (always have) and these shoes make me feel like I am standing on the outside of my feet even more than normal. I have an appointment at 1:30 today to see what they can do for me. At this point I want them to exchange the shoes for a different kind. I'll let you guys know what he says/does for me. Also, thanks for the shin stretching exercises. I will definitely be doing them and will continue to ice.

peachypeg how much potassium do you take? When the pain goes away do I stop the supplements? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #8  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

Superchick......the supplement pill I take is 595 mg. I only take one a day (in the am with my vitamin). I have been taking it for almost 2 weeks. My bf has been taking it for almost a month. So far so good for us both. I would think that to stop taking it will mean the pain will return....not sure. But it is a daily supplement whose supply is not infinite....just like any other vitamin or mineral, your body must have a daily dose in some way, shape, or form.

I am glad to hear that the shoe store is owned by a Dr. BUT......is he in it for the profit or the actual treatment (like a doctor that just has a practice not a store)? Was he recommended to you by someone you trust?

I have been told by an Ortho doc that my shin splints are because my calves are over developed and the small muscles, tendons, and ligaments can't keep up. This was way back when I trained for the mile and 2 mile events. Now, if I walk really fast (can't run any more because of knees), I get horrible shin splints. My calves have never gotten fat like the rest of me....so I figure it is nearly the same as back when I ran really fast or hard.

I do hope you find something that works....
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #9  

My visit to the shoe store went pretty good. He ended up putting me in a different shoe that I think will work better. I could tell right away they were way more supportive on the outside of the shoe and just felt more comfortable. I have Earth shoes for casual and really like them. They are good for people who tend to roll out because they sit you back in the heels so it is impossible to roll. So he decided to put me in a Earth shoe designed for working out. It is hard to tell though because my shins hurt, so until they calm down I won't be walking in them. I am icing about four times a day and will start doing the stretches mentioned above. I am also going to try the potassium supplements and see if those help.

peachypeg-Did he tell you how to strengthen the small muscles, tendons, and ligaments?
Old 03-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #10  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

Honestly, there is no way to do it :/ It has been one of those "deal with it" things. One thing you can do now is find that sweet speed of walking that doesn't hurt. On my treadmill I know the speed. Every so often I push that speed but only until I feel the burn in my shins and then I back it down. I am hoping that I can push more and longer with the potassium.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #11  

The new shoes I bought are working great. They are made for people who supinate and so you can't roll out in them. They are ugly and bulky, but they do the job so I won't complain. I also bought some potassium supplements have been taking them for about a week. So far I have only walked at a slow pace on my treadmill(still icing shins) but tonight will be the true test. My husband and I are going to try and walk the trail by our house that we were walking before the shin splints came. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #12  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

sounds super!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #13  

We took a 3.5 mile walk tonight and my shins didn't hurt once. The only thing was my calves hurt for a while because the shoes kick you back in your heals so it stretches the calf muscles out. But over all I am very pleased. I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has shin splints. Pricey and ugly, but get the job done.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #14  
Improvise Adapt Overcome

That is really great Superchick! I am really glad you have found the answer!