Default Double Chunk Chocolate Chip Muffins

Double Chocolate Chunk Muffins

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c oats
3 egg whites
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (or regular plain low fat yogurt)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar (or 1-1/2 Tbsp. vinegar)
1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
1 cup sugar substitute (like Splenda granular) OR 1/4 cup + 2 tbs stevia
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use white chocolate or peanut butter chips!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin pans with foil cupcake liners, or spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a blender, (or food processor), mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate chips. Blend until oats are ground and mixture is smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and gently stir in 1/2 of the chocolate chips (set the rest aside). Scoop mixture into prepared muffin pans.
Place muffins tins in the oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, remove muffins from the oven (but don’t shut oven off), and distribute the other half of the chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
Place the muffins back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. *Note, you could skip this step by putting all of the chips in the batter, and baking the muffins for 12-15 min straight, but this method gives the muffins the traditional ‘VitaTop Muffin’ look with the chocolate chips on top!
Cool muffins before removing from pan. ENJOY!!!

Servings: 12 Big Muffins or 24 Smaller Muffins
Calories: 116 Calories Per Muffin or 58 Calories Per Muffin
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

This is cruel!! I can't make them right now, but I really want to!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #3  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Cottage, I am travelling this week to DD's and will make them while DH has some evil donuts. Maybe he will try one too.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

When I made these, I accidentally forgot to add the sweetener, and they tasted just fine to me, although the rest of the family thought they should be sweeter. I wouldn't add a full cup, though. I think they'd be fine with just 1/4 to 1/3 cup of sweetener.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #5  
sophie

Height: 5'4"

o.k. I made them and mine turned out almost like molten cake and hope that after being refrigerated overnight they will become more solid. I did make a few changes because I didn't have enough oatmeal - 11/2 cups oatmeal, 1/4 cup ground flax. two eggs, hate wasting yolks and 1/4 cup agave nectar and 1/4 cup splenda. Maybe less water, the batter was very runny. Had to bake them for 25 minutes, split one with Steve and he really liked it. Next time will try it with the original recipe. Anyways got some good stuff to snack on our trip.
take care
Sophie
sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #6  

ok, these sound good. Any ideas if I didn't want to use oatmeal?
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Chickadeee, I'm pretty sure you could sub another whole grain flour for the ground oats. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Sophie, my batter was more like a regular cake batter. I'm glad you liked your results, anyway. I think the ground flax acts more of an oil, rather than a flour, and that may have changed the consistency.