Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 04:06 PM   #1  

Default Newbie

Hey girls! I just wanted to do an initial post. I feel funny calling myself a newbie here because once upon a time ( 3 years ago) I was a regular on the site. But anyways.....I was always looking for a specific diet to follow and I think at the time I was doing Atkins. Then I just decided that I wouldn't do anything at all. Needless to say, I put on all of the weight that I had lost and an extra 12. For the first time in my life, I was over 200 lbs. The one thing I swore I would never do is let myself go beyond 200 and I did. Of course, I didn't realize it because I had also sworn off the scale. I know people think that you don't need them but I have to keep myself in check with it.

I didn't know where else to post here because, quite frankly, I don't want to adhere to any "diet" per se. I figured that I would just eat less and move more. Gosh, doesn't that sound so darned simple? Easier said than done. You see, I started working again last year after 7 years of being home with children and I sit at a desk all day. Man, am I rambling.

About 6 weeks ago, I decided that I needed to do something, anything. I went out and bought Tae Bo and The Firm and did each tape exactly once. Oh, and I also did Kathy Smith's Latin Workout. I really didn't care for that one too much. What I have ended up doing is just riding my bike with my husband every evening. We do anywhere from 3-8 miles, depending on when I get home and we can get out. I am usually cranky in the evenings but once I get out there with him, I feel much better. We have time to talk before I get too winded, which is another bonus to it all.

So anyways, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think what you are realizing with your exercise is key: you need to find something that you enjoy doing if you are oging to stick with it. I also have tried Tae Bo and the Kathy Smith Latin workout...and did them exactly once! I have found my taste lies in strength training, Pilates and yoga, and professional belly dancing. (I started with a video or two-and loved it so much I decided to take pro lessons!)
If what you enjoy doing is riding bikes with your husband, then go for it! You are getting some quality time with him as well as exercise-so keep it up! You may also enjoy something like walking outdoors with a female buddy-you can get your exercise in while you chat it up with a friend. I used to do this when I was in college-we had a park just down the road with a walk/bike path that was 2.5 miles long-we got a group together and walked the entire thing a couple times a week after class-so it was 5 miles total (one way and coming back) when we did it-and we laughed and chatted the whole time. You are more likely to stick with it when you have someone (or two or three) expecting you to do it!
And to think I hated gym class all those years in school-I totally thought I was unathletic...I hated baseball, vollyball, basketball...and doing those stupid jumping jacks! It took me years later to realize how athletic I was when I actually thought about it while shimmying and playing finger cymbals in my belly dance class!!
Aphil
Old 07-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #3  

Welcome jlmsandi! You're definitely on the right track with just eating less and moving more. That's exactly what I've been doing since joining 3FC in October. Like you, I dont follow any specific diet, just made some healthy changes in my habits and try to control my portions. I'm a member of the "Exercise, Diet, and Support" thread which is listed under the "Misc smaller clubs" forum way down under all the specific WW, SB, etc. You are more than welcome to join us there if you'd like. There are about 7 of us that regularly post there. A couple of them are on Atkins and the rest pretty much have been doing like I have. It doesnt matter what plan you're following if any, we welcome everyone. The more the merrier!

Miki
Old 07-07-2003, 10:27 AM   #4  

Thanks so much for the welcome! I will wander down your way and take a peek.
I guess I knew all along that moving more and eating less is the key to it all but the alternative is so much more fun!
Old 07-07-2003, 10:34 AM   #5  

Thanks so much for the welcome! I will wander down your way and take a peek.
I guess I knew all along that moving more and eating less is the key to it all but the alternative is so much more fun!
Old 08-02-2003, 08:49 PM   #6  

Default Hello

I'm new by just a few days to the whole thing! The site and chatting on the computer too. It was interesting to read Jackie's entry as alot sounded like me. I always said I would never go over 300 and now I sit at 340. I have been between 370 and 320 for years now.

What I have found in the past that works is just as you say, eat less move more. That was Susan Powter's motto. Make healther food choices and get out and more your tush!!!!

I also sit all day at work and in the summer months my husband and I ride our bikes too. I have a real hard time at my weight to do very many excercises but biking is fun and I can last quite a while at it. We go for rides that last for anywhere from an hour to two. Sometimes I even ride to work.(that's harder because I am a Banker and need to look professional, and yuck and sweaty doesn't cut it) So that happens in the fall. People really look surprised when they see me out there...I guess they don't think fat chicks can ride.

This time I have decided to not center on loosing weight but being healthy. I am so glad that I tried this site....already I have met some really nice people and Its even help me to know that I can talk to someone that knows the frustration I do of fighting weight and compulsive eating and depression from all the above.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:36 PM   #7  

Hi Evilyn....sounds like you're on the right track. Welcome to 3fc...you'll find lots of inspiration and support here. I'm a banker too, by the way. My exercise of choice at the moment is walking...my sis and I walk anywhere from 3 to 6 miles a day. Takes us about an hour to walk 4 miles. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and welcome!

Miki
Closed Thread