Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

Default What do you wish your coach had told you???

Let me know folks!
Calgarygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8"

that the 3-4 lbs average loss per week is just that-an average. i was expecting that much every week and then had to realize that those losses are varied in body type and how much you stick to the program. i know i cheated a couple of times but i figured that with my in/out calories i'd still be losing 3 lbs per week-wrong! in all actuality i don't have much to lose compared to many others on ip and i just have to go with the flow and enjoy my various options is an ip friendly way
mamaerinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

WOW!
- you aren't allowed the occasional veggies til 70% lost (just my coach's rule)
- you aren't allowed the restricted foods until you reach goal (just my coach's rule)
- your birth control may be interfered with
- you may lose your hair, A LOT of your hair
- you will become constipated
- your skin could become dry, cracked, and bleeding
- you will get bored with the food, the veggies, the routine... stick with it
- it will be hard to treat a cold if you get one because of sugar in medicine
- some of your prescriptions will effect your average weight loss
- you will not lose 3 - 5 pounds every week it may or may not even be your average if you are on the program more than 3 months.
- your menstrual cycle will go through changes and may not be what you expect
- you will feel horrible at times as your body adjusts and corrects, but you will get through if you stick it out
- you may reach a point you gag on the salads you have to eat
- you will crave things you have never liked and come to hate things you use to love
- you will have strange dreams of eating off plan foods
- eating out will become boring because it will feel like you can only eat the same things, ANYWHERE
- you will want to walk up to strangers and tell them all about how Ideal Protein can change their life... think twice before you act on that impulse.
- you will have times that you will lose many more inches than pounds and that is OK! Weight loss is not just about the number on the scale but how your body shape is changing and how your clothes fit.
- You will want to give up. DON'T! Write down your reason and inspiration for doing this today and read it everyday until you get to your goal.

That is just a few that came to my mind! I guess there was a lot I wish I was told!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 07-02-2010 at 04:28 AM.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 AM   #4  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

This topic is such a great idea! I haven't been around long enough to even know what I don't know. And Carla's list is so comprehensive. [Although that bit about hair loss scares me witless. Does that mean we should eat more MUFAs?] My ultra fine hair and skinny bones are the only thin things I have going for me right now, and I'd like to keep them around for a while.

But I learned something this morning that may be helpful. On the sheet called "My Progress Success," the last column reads % water. What it really means is % lean muscle mass, which makes a lot more sense to me.

Something else I learned today. Puppies, no matter how ardently they try to convince you to the contrary, do not like kale. But it's kind of fun watching the expression on their face as that try to gum it into taste-worthy submission.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
This topic is such a great idea! I haven't been around long enough to even know what I don't know. And Carla's list is so comprehensive. [Although that bit about hair loss scares me witless. Does that mean we should eat more MUFAs?] My ultra fine hair and skinny bones are the only thin things I have going for me right now, and I'd like to keep them around for a while.

But I learned something this morning that may be helpful. On the sheet called "My Progress Success," the last column reads % water. What it really means is % lean muscle mass, which makes a lot more sense to me.

Something else I learned today. Puppies, no matter how ardently they try to convince you to the contrary, do not like kale. But it's kind of fun watching the expression on their face as that try to gum it into taste-worthy submission.

Good Morning! Ok, questions!

What are MUFA's???? Yes, I am clueless!

What is the "my progress success" sheet? I don't have that! AND, what do you do with it????

PUPPY??? What kind? What age?

Regarding hair, apparently, based on the trantiendiet.com page under adverse effects you will find many things that effect people on the diet. One of these is hair loss. THE GOOD THING.. it is supposed to return to normal after you have lost the weight. The downside it happens. It is there mostly for women. It seems to effect at least 8% of people. It usually happens in between the end of the second month and the fourth month. It effects mostly people with very large amounts of weight to lose and those who are on the program 10 weeks or more. IT IS NORMAL to occur on any rapid weight loss diet. It has been seen to happen following lap band and gastric bypass too. Actually it can occur following surgery, trauma, any severe stress that is felt physically. In medical journals, it is reported to occur most often in people who lose 20 pounds or more in one month. It is often related to a nutritional deficiency but, not always related. It is best if you do lose a great mass of hair quickly as it indicates that you will have a greater probability of return to normal in the 6 months to a year AFTER you stabilize your weight loss. The reason for this is hair grows in cycles and we have hair falling out all the time and other hair in a mid phase or a new growth stage. The full cycle of all phases takes about 6 months. This sudden "shock" causes more hair in the mid phases to convert to shed stage and that causes the sudden loss. It actually isn't horrible, (it looks and feels it though), and when you get the sudden large loss it indicates your hair grows normal and those healthy hair follicles will go back to doing their job as soon as the new growth has advances far enough to be mid phase again.

There is no way to know who is going to be effected. There is uncertainty how many people notice and then report the hair loss. There is uncertainty how many clinics/coachs know of, address, and share the hair lost info.

It is ok. For me, NOW, it is fine. I started taking a hair multi that was high in choline/inositol which were/are missing from our vitamins and limited in our diet. FOR ME it seemed the answer. I have thinned hair still. It is no longer thinning the way it was. I learned other possible vitamin issues can be:
iron, magnesium, any of the spectrum of B or so called B vitamin, vitamin C, selenium, and/oromega oil defiiciencies, vitamin F deficiency (aka... ALA, LA deficiency).

Calgary!

-another thing I wish my coach had told me... you can look at this page (see www.trantiendiet.com), join a forum at 3fc, sign up for a group on facebook, or join the forum on ideal to go.com

-another one!! Here are a bunch of recipes to help you get through this week. And the next week do the same!

Last edited by showgirlaz; 07-01-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #6  
Dave - The Speedo King

My coach didn't tell me she has individual packets for sale. Getting through 7 packets of the nasty berry yogurt and 7 packets of awful chicken soup about killed me that first week, and made me want to quit. Once I found foods I liked, I was fine. But it was an expensive adventure on flavortown's west side...
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/145/135

Height: 5"5

arghh..my coach refuses to sell individuals. I had a few boxes of nasty as well. Good thing everyone has different taste, so I gave my friend those ones :P

I really wish my coach had told just how much of a difference to my weight loss it would make eating restricteds. I have all but cut them out now.
Calgarygirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #8  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post

What are MUFA's???? Yes, I am clueless!

What is the "my progress success" sheet? I don't have that! AND, what do you do with it????

PUPPY??? What kind? What age?
Thanks so, so much for the information. So MUFAs -- monounsaturated fatty acids -- the really good fat, as some say. The kind you get in abundance in olive oil and avocados.

The "success sheet?" I was sent the file and have filled it in each of the two weeks I've completed. This is sort of what it looks like although it wrapped when I copied it, and the Ideal Protein Logo won't copy.

My Success Progress Chart
I Know I Can!
Dieter Handout – Initial Consultation
Date Weight Achieved Chest Size Waist Wrist Hip Size Arm Size Thigh Size % Fat % Lean Muscle % Fat Lost

And the puppy. Could you hear the tone of my voice change, melt? He's a 6 month old Papillon. What looks like a blob of black on white in my avatar is really one puppy leg sticking out. The rest of him is wrapped around by a male Oriental Shorthair who will be 18 on Sunday.

And thanks again for the super information.

Last edited by Linden; 07-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #9  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarygirlie View Post
I really wish my coach had told just how much of a difference to my weight loss it would make eating restricteds. I have all but cut them out now.
Oh brother. Me, too! In fact, I was told to eat one everyday, which I dutifully did for 15 days until I started to gain weight, on fewer than 800 calories a day!!!!
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Oh brother. Me, too! In fact, I was told to eat one everyday, which I dutifully did for 15 days until I started to gain weight, on fewer than 800 calories a day!!!!
I was told the same thing! I asked her about the Phase I sheet where it says to not have them in weeks 1-3, and she said it was an old sheet and was fine now.

I also wish my coach had told me about carb intake per day. And about exercise - she hasn't mentioned exercise at all.. if I should, if I shouldn't, when I can, what it will do to my weight loss.. still not sure on that stuff.

And about the not everyone losing 3-5 lbs per week thing even if you don't cheat.. didn't know that.

Last edited by kplus80; 07-01-2010 at 08:14 PM.
kplus80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #11  

Quote:
Thanks so, so much for the information. So MUFAs -- monounsaturated fatty acids -- the really good fat, as some say. The kind you get in abundance in olive oil and avocados.

The "success sheet?" I

And the puppy. ... He's a 6 month old Papillon.

And thanks again for the super information.
You're welcome! Good to know, MUFA! Probably the omega oils will help you! I use Udo's Oil and Country life. I mix it up because I want the Omega 9 from fish oil but don't want to much fish oil because, I have been reading lately that some fish oils build up and can cause toxicity. I have recently been looking in to krill oil as an option.

Interesting sheet! I don't have that. Maybe my coach fills it out for me??

You gotta love a puppy! Papillons are so cute! My sister had one and it was a total love! I have a 6 month old black standard poodle, Chanel.

Quote:
OH NO!!! I hope you have stopped having or have limited having the restricted items now!
Old 07-02-2010, 01:27 AM   #12  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post

You gotta love a puppy! AND

OH NO!!! I hope you have stopped having or have limited having the restricted items now!
You couldn't be more right about the puppy. I'd post a picture but I can't find the cable for my camera. I think it disappeared into that great barrel that airport inspection personnel gather containing all the things that never got back into luggage.

And YES!!! I have stopped having the restricted items but I still weigh more than I did on the day before my second weigh in. Head's up, you all. I, too, read about people and how they handled restricted foods. But I figured my coach knew what was going on or she wouldn't have sent 2 weeks , or fourteen packets, worth of restricted food. The moral? Trust your instincts and listen to the people who've been there and done that.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #13  
Dave - The Speedo King

About the restricted IP foods...

I started using the restricted foods in week 5, and I'd have to say my loss has continued steadily even after adding them. I'm a guy and I've been losing at least 5 lbs/wk. except for the week where I did a planned cheat, when I only lost 4.

What I can't speak to is whether or not I would have lost more by eliminating them. Perhaps I'll give that a try after my dinner cheat on my anniversary next week to see if I can speed up the loss again.

That said, I only use the restricted items on days where I'm doing a good amount of exercise. On those days, I typically have 4 packets, including 1 restricted item like one of the bars. Saturday mornings have been nice for pancakes, but that's getting a little old.

I wish my coach was a little more adamant about avoiding restricteds.

Last edited by salesgod; 07-02-2010 at 12:20 PM.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #14  
Third time's the charm!

S/C/G: 254.8/Ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Im glad I read this... I did the whole "no restricted foods for first 2-3 weeks" and I'm going to pick up my 4th weeks food tomorrow.. I'm going to try and stay away from them now! Or limit myself to one or two a week!
shrinkingsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 256.8/255.2/155

Height: 5'6''

Well, i was told that i could have seltzer and/or sparkling water by one coach at my center. So i was having some every day (about a small bottle) in addition to my water. Well weighed in last Friday and had only lost two pounds in two weeks (no cheats). I almost started crying. After some questioning, my diet coach thinks it was the seltzer and sparkling water. I was so upset.

I'm still being pretty strict with the diet. If i want something different i'll have half a restricted bar for snack (i'll have my two non-restricted packets throughout the day). I'm drinking a ton of plain water and getting in all my supplements and oil. I weighed myself this morning and have not noticed a change in my weight since Friday (not close to my TOM either). I'm getting pretty irritated/upset.

I'm probably just overreacting, but i'm frustrated. Any ideas or suggestions?
BrittStar027 is offline   Reply With Quote