Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #1  
Erin

S/C/G: 210/172/145

Height: 5'4"

Default What do you drink when you're craving something other than water?

I drink about 6-8 cups of water a day. It keeps me pretty full between meals and is usually satisfying. Sometimes I get a craving for something sweeter and I go for a glass of Diet V8 splash (Berry Blend w/ antioxidants). I think it's really good and has very little sugar (2g) and calories (10). I know that there's artificial sweetener in it, which is not so great, but according to the label there's very little in it.

What do you reach for when you feel like you've just got to have something other than water, but aren't caving for a soda, etc.?! I'd love more ideas!
ErBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I like VERY cold low sodium v8.

I also like iced tea. Most of the time it is fruity Celestial Seasonings so my kid will have it too.

I fill a 32 oz pitcher with cold water, throw in 4 bags, and let it steep in the fridge overnight.

We've done black tea with lemon and other varieties as well but she really digs the fruity ones like raspberry zinger or the country peach.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #3  
YOLO

S/C/G: 156/128-130/Fit(ter)

Height: 5'7"

I drink coffee. Or milk, depending on the meal I just ate.
Please Do Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #4  
SanityNow

Plain, unsweetened iced tea
Iced plain decaf
Tonic Water (but watch the sugar)
Homemade fruit slurpy
Seltzer
Mineral water
Protein shake (from powder with water and ice)
Old 03-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #5  
Erin

Oh great! Lots of good ideas. Thanks! And country peach tea sounds pretty good... hah!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 343/293/199

Height: 5'8"

I drink Silk Almond Milk or Water w/ the Walmart brand flavor packs like Crystal Light. I get the pomegranate flavor with antioxidants and use 1/2 the amount it tells you to use. I love a cold V8 on occasion. Then there are desperate times when I will drink Diet Coke. I use to be totally addicted to it, so I try to avoid it.. I fail sometimes though.
xJox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #7  
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysmomma View Post
I drink Silk Almond Milk or Water w/ the Walmart brand flavor packs like Crystal Light. I get the pomegranate flavor with antioxidants and use 1/2 the amount it tells you to use. I love a cold V8 on occasion. Then there are desperate times when I will drink Diet Coke. I use to be totally addicted to it, so I try to avoid it.. I fail sometimes though.

I'm totally there with you on the diet coke! And European coke products are even better than American, so when I get over here to Germany, I definitely drank way more than I did before. Yikess!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

iced coffee, iced tea, diet sprite, fresca, flavored seltzer, coconut water (as a sports drink when I'm running a long distance or a hard workout).
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 230/See ticker/120

Height: 5'3

If I don't want to have a glass of good old fashioned water then I drink a glass of either regular or carbonated water with a squeeze of citrus or other fruit infusions. Other times I'll have unsweetened fortified almond or coconut milk. I consider this more a food, but green smoothies make up most of my diet. Drinking leafy green vegetables (mixed with fruit) is the easiest way for me to make sure I'm consuming enough fruits and vegetables.
pixeldust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #10  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

I brew a pot of tea; one bag of green tea, one bag of rosehip tea. I drink it warm at first and then I drink it as ice tea later on. Yum!
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Hot water lol. Really. When I'm sick of drinking water I drink hot water, or tea, or just hot water with lemon in it. I used to drink a lot of milk but haven't really in a while now...

It's sort of funny, because my mind recognises cold water as coming from a water bottle or my big oversized yellow cups, and hot water as coming from a mug. Once I put cold water in the mug and when I took a sip a few minutes later, my brain went "WHOA! Wait, what's that doing in there?! This is supposed to be hot" lol
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/245/135

Well, I just cave into my passionate Coke lust and have one, but I assume you wanted low-cal/healthier options. Sometimes I do a glass of water with just a splash of an intensely flavored juice (cranberry, orange, lemon). You could also experiment with herbs...some crushed mint in a glass of full of icy lime water would be delicious.
Nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #13  
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeldust View Post
If I don't want to have a glass of good old fashioned water then I drink a glass of either regular or carbonated water with a squeeze of citrus or other fruit infusions. Other times I'll have unsweetened fortified almond or coconut milk. I consider this more a food, but green smoothies make up most of my diet. Drinking leafy green vegetables (mixed with fruit) is the easiest way for me to make sure I'm consuming enough fruits and vegetables.
Back in college I used to do this too! It was so easy since there was a salad bar, fruit bar and a smoothie stand. Everyone would look at my drink like why is your smoothie GREEN? But it tasted really good actually. And a little bit of carrot made it sweet, too. I really should buy a blender...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Cucumber water, my son loves it too, tastes like summertime.
JoeyRug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 220/157.0/137

Height: 5'2''

Unsweetened tea, seltzer water (if that counts), and occasionally diet soda... I only have soda when there's nothing else available.
liliesinmycereal is offline   Reply With Quote