South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 02:48 PM   #1  

Default another question... supplements & SBD

First of all, I want to say that I've already found these forums helpful and encouraging; I'm so happy I found my way here!

Now for my question (I don't have the book in hand yet, curse you, Amazon!, hence all of the questions. A friend of mine with a car is taking me on a Target run to the 'burbs, and I want to have SOME info when I go): I was thinking about adding both a fiber and calcium supplement to my diet. Is this recommended, or does it fight with the plan? I KNOW I need to take in more calcium, just for good bone health, and my fiber intake isn't great, either. Would taking either/both be helpful, harmful, or neither?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2003, 05:32 PM   #2  
it's always something

I think a lot of people are taking a fiber supplement in the form of Metamucil. This is also recommended on page 55 of the book, for helping reduce the glycemic index of some foods.

I take calcium tablets every day. There has been a lot of research at the University of Tennessee regarding calcium and weight loss, and it appears that this is finally a supplement that might really help! If you take calcium, make sure to take it with a multivitamin or something with Vitamin D in it, so it will be absorbed. Also, it seems that the body can only absorb so much calcium at a time, so if you take more than one tablet, space them out between meals.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM   #3  

abfab:

Like Suzanne said, the good doctor does recommend fiber ... I really need to get some of those capsules (can't stand drinking the stuff) ...

I take a multi every day ... One A Day for weight loss support and it has 100% of everything under the sun in it ...

I also remember reading that calcium helps weight loss (just can't remember where I read it) and this diet (especially Phase I) doesn't provide much calcium so you're probably right on the money with calcium too.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #4  
The Walking Lady

I am taking a One A Day Woman's Formula tablet, 1 fish oil capsule, and 1 Potassium tablet.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:48 PM   #5  

The calcium for weight loss was found to have to come from actually eating dairy products - it doesn't work with supplements.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:43 PM   #6  
The Walking Lady

I read this too. Something to do with enzymes. Whatever those are.
Closed Thread