Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Blisters... :(

So everyone I'm sure has had the ocassional blister. Usually back of ankle or toe, which I've dealt with. However for the past two weeks or so I have been getting HUGE blisters right on my arches during my runs. I bought new running shoes in Jan and had not had any problems. My socks are the same, shoes are the same, same running route even. And its on both feet not just one, however the ones on the right foot are larger than the left. The one I have from yesterdays run is probably the size of a quarter and full of fluid (Sorry gross). I have taken time off to let them go away but as soon as I go for a run they come back. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this or recommendations? I've never had anything like this. Thanks for any help or ideas!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2  

Guess: Lost weight and/or less water retained, feet less puffy or smaller, shoes fit looser. (http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/knots.htm for ways to tie your running shoes that might work better to hold things in place.)

Second guess: Gait change (intentional or un-). You'd know if this were the case.

Third guess: Old socks and/or insoles, need to be replaced.

As an interim solution, have you tried taping your hotspots while you run?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for your suggestions! I am baffled!I'm definitely going to try taping for now. no gait change. Socks are fairly new. Think I'll try some special running socks. Just so frustrating!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Good tips already posted. I only have this to add...

Sure you are in the right shoe type? try shoe dog and see what you get. Do the wet footprint on a newspaper or paper grocery bag to see your arches.

Are your socks wicking? If not damp socks can chafe.

Blisterblock bandages are your friend. They stick on GREAT over healing blsiters -- toward the bottom of the page you can see what the box looks like. They have their own chafe stick but I use bodyglide brand chafe stick. Something like that also helps.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 03-09-2012 at 03:19 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:41 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have weird shaped feet and blister on long hikes and runs. I carry duct tape or moleskin to cover any hotspots as I feel them and before they form a blister. I also tend to cover any areas in advance that always blister, to prevent even a hot spot forming. Duct tape is pretty good because it's super sticky on the one side (and stays put even on sweaty feet) and super slick on the other side allowing your sock to slide over the area and not form that blister.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #6  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I was having this issue after I started increasing my distance - I started getting the running socks with the "padding" on my arches (I have high arches) and I also coat my feet in BodyGlide before I put my socks on - it helps!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:06 AM   #7  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I also coat my feet in BodyGlide. I used to get occasional blisters as well. I haven't had any since using it.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote