Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #1  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~March Golden Girls~~

We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you since you passed the 50 mark? 60 mark? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Karen,

I just read your message on the February thread (now closed). I am so HAPPY to see that you are OK. Was worried about you.

Lynn
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #3  
ALASKA

S/C/G: 254/239/195

Height: 5'10

Karen glad your ok. my sis Matty there in joplin said it was a rough night. she thought the wind was gonna blow her windows out.

Branson looks like a mess.
Hope everyone has a good day~
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Well, the ball is in their court now.... we've done everything that we are supposed to and now we are back to the "Hurry Up And Wait" phase!! The appraiser was here today to do the appraisal but wouldn't tell us anything. So I'm still not packing.... March 15 is coming pretty fast though!! This is a pic of the house we are wanting to get. Tired... need to do something that doesn't require any brain work tonight----American Idol!!! LOL!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4449.jpg (51.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

I need shoulders to cry on. Just spoke with my friend's DD. My friend fell backwards from stairs onto a tile floor. She has been taken to the hospital and they think she may have Parkinson's in addition to the Alzheimer's. Her DD is a mess. I feel horrible! Not really anything I can do. I just feel so sorry for her and her DD. Thanks for "listening."

Lynn
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM   #6  

Lynn, your friend and her family and you are in my prayers..Keep us updated. (((Hugs)))
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #7  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

Lynn - is your DF hospitalized? Brain damage? Oh, my... that's very sad, and I'm very sad for you! Good thoughts and please keep us informed.

CK - was the appraiser snotty? Sure sounded like it... and that doesn't bode well! Oh, well, if it falls through, you can use the money you would have put into a pool at the new house and renovate this current house, if you'd like! We are where we're supposed to be....

SamCat was waiting for me when I got home tonight, lounging on a kitchen chair... good sign!!! He ate some breakfast, some early dinner, and a bit more around 8 p.m. He's so skinny and weak... but I'm hopeful. I know it's because of all of you..........

I think I'm going to go gork a little and then hit the bed. Later, lovelies!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #8  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG’s,

Got out of work on time tonight. Yippee. Have a little time to be able to enjoy the evening. Got a letter from a friend/coworker from when I lived in Maine. It was like getting a Christmas present.

Zoe ~ thinking of you and your upcoming retirement. So excited for you. Don’t be worrying about not having enough to do. Just my two cents (forgive me) try out the retirement for a bit (with your consulting) before you add on another part time job. Give it a chance first and maybe take some time to enjoy stuff you haven’t had time for in a while. That chair beside the lake on a nice sunny day with a good book.

Bobbi ~ sorry for your frustrations with Home Depot. Didn’t you have frustrations with them when you put in your wood floors?

Mary ~ have a nice visit with your son tomorrow.

Donna ~ glad that SamCat ate a little today. Continuing prayers for you both.

Carol Sue ~ wow ~ that was quite a thing with your dog and your shoes and then the hospital trips. How are you doing ~ hope the healing is coming along nicely.

Rosey ~ is the 114 inches a record? Wow that is hard to even imagine. Glad your computer is working again.

Marie ~ pain relief is right around the corner now ~ so glad for you

Lynn ~ so sorry about your friend ~ thoughts and prayers for her, her family and you. I have been using the Glucerna hunger smart shake at work. I sip on it and it lasts me all shift and takes care of the hunger and I don’t have to use the other snacky stuff that I was using.

Rie ~ have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family. Get lots of Gabriel hugs

CK ~ sorry for all this hurry up and wait with the house stuff. Glad the storm didn’t come by you.

K3 ~ glad your washer came. Hope you are happy with your new hearing aids. I just got mine ~ day two of wearing them. Any advise?

Isabella ~ hope you got rested up a little. Did you have a nice time with your nephew and family? How is the kitchen re-do coming along?

Freda ~ yes, with these wonderful grandchildren ~ where does the time go? Corbin will be 15 in the fall and Maddie will be 5. Hope you didn’t work hard all day, and left some time to enjoy a little bit

Deelee ~ hope you are feeling better

Brenda ~ Welcome Brenda. We used to get snow like that some years in Maine. We had a metal roof. The snow would slide off the back porch roof and one year was almost as tall as that roof. My DS (darn kid had no fear of heights) would go out his bedroom window with a sled and slide off the roof and onto that pile of snow that had slid off of it.

Matty ~ Welcome Matty ~ glad you’ve joined us.

Annie ~ Welcome (hadn’t had a chance to do that yet). So sorry for the tragedy with your coworker. So sad.

Andi ~ that Ohio school shooting was not too far (20 miles) from where I grew up. Scary.

MSCinnamonie ~ how is your dad doing? Thoughts and prayers for you both.

Sorry ~ running out of steam. Hello to Jenye, Lyn, Nancy, Chickadeee, PrescottLady and Lucinda.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #9  

I'm so glad that Samcat is doing better. Gosh we worry so much about them. Still sending good thoughts..

Don't know as I would say he was snotty but not "Mr. Personality" either!! I'll be glad when this is done.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #10  
Donna

CK - I'm going to see how long this takes to accept a post and then will try to refresh it... MOST ANNOYING!!!! Thanks for the tip (if it works, LOL)...

Took right off this time... thanks. But I did want to refresh it. I'm SURE I'll get another opportunity!

Nighty night!!

Last edited by jess1; 02-29-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #11  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Evening all, just a quick note with personals that I can remember off the top of my head. Too exhausted to put too much work in.

Lynn, for your and your DF and her daughter. That is just so hard. I hope she will be all right. It is so sad.

And so sad, Annie. Like the others, I'm left to wonder what in the he!! is up with the world. Maybe there is so understanding of spouses killing each other (if I was really able to stretch my imagination that far) but how in the world do you kill a baby. How, how, how??? That is so sad.

Donna, Kai breathed a loud sigh of relief that SamCat found another life. Maybe he's just so exceptional that instead of 9 lives he will have 27 of them.

Karen MO, glad you are all right. I hope the housing stuff works out. And I'm guessing the appraiser wasn't Mr. Personality because the stereotype of one is to be a snotty nerd. I guess he really can't be chatty or friendly or his summary wouldn't be objective.

Hi to everyone else I missed!!!!

DH brought Sasha to my office so I could bring her to the vet. Her eye still look horrible this morning and she couldn't keep it open. Good news is that the cornea is not scratched or wounded. The white part is and that has better blood supply to heal. She's on her own prescription of Kody's eye medicine as well as Blizzie's rimadyl for pain. Kody is also on Blizzie's rimadyl for either a left wrist sprain (joint above the paw) or arthritis. I didn't bring him to the vet because DH could strangle him in the vehicle (he howls at the top of his lungs while driving - into the driver's ear). Anyway, the vet showed me how to examine the joint to determine if I need to get him in for a cast. He doesn't. Both DH and I think it is arthritis. So I have four dogs and three of them are on the $$$ rimadyl. Through petsmeds dot com the 6 month supply is $250. Sasha should be 3-7 days so thats not too bad. Kody, who knows. The vet made notations on the "family" chart that she's prescribed Blizzie's med to the two other so we can get Blizzie's renewal a bit early. We also talked about Blizzie and the labored breathing from two weeks ago. She agreed with DH that it was a cold or upper respiratory infection. BTW, Blizzie is doing great and has no lingering effects. Me? She scared me to no end that she had reached the end. Yay, the end is not near for now.

Marie
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #12  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

.4:55 AM March 1 Already. Can't sleep. Dh was up puttering about at 3:30 AM and I woke up. Came out and checked my online banking and sure enough, my paycheck was deposited. Oh, and it's still snowing. The plows came through, and it looks like there's maybe 6-8 inches out there; more coming down, unlikely to stop until late this afternoon, or so they (the weatherfools) are saying. Went back to bed, tossed, turned, thought about this, that and the other, read a few pages of my current book, but could. not. sleep. Grrrrr. I'll be drowsing this afternoon when I need to be awake.

Retirement. Lordy, it just sounds so final, y'know? No, I won't stay on with my "old" company as a consultant. I really need not to be working there, Each day presents new and annoying "challenges". The Vermont project, on the other hand, is exciting, and becoming much, much bigger than we had originally expected. Just a quick explanation of the "investors" for you, PT/Donna...our initial goal was to raise the capital necessary for this group to build a new headquarters. Their old campus was already extensive, and quite modern because they had done a massive renovation and addition about 5 years ago. But they've even outgrown the addition and are looking at selling their present buildings and building a new facility on about 50 acres of land that they've bought in the next town over. The problem, of course, in selling (presupposing that they could find a buyer) is that they need to keep on operating until the new facility is up and running. So, since I've been working for some time now with a group teaching hydroponics gardening in the schools and adapting it to urban community centers where it can motivate kids to develop an interest in science and math (The U.S. is 29th in the number of scientists we produce - even Croatia is ahead of us, and science and math scores across the U.S. are dropping in the elementary schools) I put on my thinking cap, so to speak, married the two (groups) together, and now the Vermonters are planning to turn their old facilities in a hydroponics institute where kids can learn, experimental gardening can be done, and food can be produced to stock area food banks with fresh produce all year round. Thus our meetings with potential corporate investors. Really fun stuff, unlike my *regular* job, which isn't really much fun at all.

CaddyK, wow...that was close. The tornadoes, I mean. I think we'd all feel better if you had a root cellar to go into, or something. This weather turbulence and changes in the weather are pretty scary. You stay safe, you hear?

Marie and PT - I'm very glad that your furbabies seem to have rallied recently, and they'll be around for you for a while longer yet. Sorry that the vet's costs are mounting, Marie...sometimes the ones (vets) around here seem a little greedy to me. My dd took in a stray kitty kat a few years ago, had it checked out, de-flead, wormed, got it's shots and all and then when she wanted to have it spayed, they said it would be $500! I think that's outrageous. We're supposedly trying to control domestic animal populations so that there won't be strays out there starving to death and reproducing like rabbits, but the vets aren't very cooperative. My dd could afford it, but there are thousands of people out there who would love to have a pet - and would undoubtedly take good care of one - but simply can't afford the upkeep. Sometimes it seems to me that all people care about these days isn't being good at what they do, or caring about what they do, but just about how much money they can charge for it. Oh....and I will most certainly be thinking of you on Friday and sending warm and healing thoughts...

Rosey and Brenda.....I swear I just don't know how you can stand all that snow. We had that one big storm at the end of October and just about nothing until now. I'd be very happy if they were simply bookend storms - one at the start, and one at the finish. I actually thought it was pretty looking out the window last night, but today I have to drive on icy roads. Not my idea of a good time.

Freda, my eldest grandchild graduates from college in May. It hardly seems possible. You KNOW I'm one old, old biddy now.
Gayle, truthfully, I am less excited about retiring than I am a little worried about adjusting to it. I look forward to less stress on the work front, but then I worry about living on a semi-fixed income (I have never been good when money was tight) and even though the consulting pays well, and will supplement my social security and retirement fund, I STILL worry, It feels like such a huge life change for me.

Carole Sue, I hope that things are percolating nicely on your end....sending you lots of warm healing vibes!

So sad about your friend, Lynn. I do hope she's going to be okay? You must be feeling so badly - and so powerless to help. But, you've been such a good friend to her, and I'm sure you will continue to be.
Oh....Massachusetts people happy because of "Romneycare"? Well, I guess there are varied opinions on that. I don't think about health care one way or the other since I have coverage through my job. BUT, having said that, I DO feel that everyone should have it, and it shouldn't cost a fortune. I'm appalled at the cost of health care across the board. Just one more example of greed taking precedence over service. I go for a check-up (once in a while) and receive bills not only from the doctor, but from the practice, the lab, the medical group....I swear that the next time I go, I'll be getting billed separately for whoever mopped the floor.

Mary & Rie....I hope you both have wonderful visits with your family. (Hope you didn't forget to pack your Clinique, Rie! I love your mum and I don't even know her!)

K3.....Yay on getting the new washing machine! Omg...I couldn't even imagine going to a laundromat! We are just too danged old to be schlepping our clothes out to be washed and dried. It's effort enough just doing it at home!

How's the remodeling coming, Isabella? I hope you take some pictures to share when you're done!

Okay...sorry for the "novelette", but I was trying to take advantage of my early rising to do some catching up.

Have a super day, y'all!

Z
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Hello everyone and happy March! So glad springtime is just around the corner. The trees are blooming here already. Hope our fruit doesn't get frozen out again this year. We have a pear and an apple out at my fiance's place. Not one piece of fruit this fall.

I stayed in bed this morning and did not exercise at all. I was surprised to be down one pound, too. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it sticks.

Got good news from the accountant today and will be getting a lovely tax refund soon.

Still no reasoning on why the murder occurred. I wonder if they will ever find out. So sad to see lives snuffed out so suddenly.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Good morning all...typed this much and had 5mispelled words. Not sure if it is mind or fingers. I love the new machine. Did 5 loads and have 2 more today. Mostly cause I washed a kleenx in first load of dark.

Bobbi...thank you setting us with a new month.

Lynn...So sorry about your dear friend.

Gayle...About the aids work with your audiologist and get them working just for you. I get these new ones 3/9. It is a field trail and if after a month I decide they don't work I give them back or buy them at a discount. They even come in colors like purple....not sure why but BF lost hers in the yard so she got silver ones this time????

Donna...Dash says SamCat is better because he spoke directly to the Egyptian Cat God and the report was Samcat needs to stay with you awhile longer because he is you lover from a former life.

Karen...How do you keep sane? I'd be a screaming fool by now. Please go down in the girl cave with those storms.

Marie...Between us we are supporting the drug industry with canine meds. Actually the capsules we got from Canada via India were better quality than the USA capsules that made him nauseous. Same price even and able to get 3 months supply instead of 2. Bob from India has called with a follow up even. Sad sad world when we have to go overseas to get meds esp for kids....I am going get my cardiac meds from Canada at $1 a tab instead $4.

Rosey and Brenda....SNOW!.....gesh hard to believe. We have had such a mild winter and been without a/c or heat on in almost 8 weeks. The electric company is not making money on us right now...oh forgot they are too cause they are billing us for the nuke plant they want to build in 20 yrs....

Rie....you are me 20 years ago. I love competition especially against the Big Boys. Always said I took pushy broad 101 and pushy broad 102 in college.

Jane...It's nice to know you are there taking care of us. thanks sweetie.

Ohhhh DS called last night a movie producer had contacted his publisher about "Bear" and wants his people to talk to the writer's people about a movie. btw DS does have "people". His agent had sub-agented a film rights lawyer awhile ago. He is tickled with even this wee hint. I'll let you know when it out in DVD!

DD in NC is busy delivering baby goats . Had triplets yesterday. My lift abounds with excitement.

Need to spend some time with tax stuff...yuck...k3
Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #15  
Donna

KarenFL - I snorted coffee all over my desk!
Closed Thread