Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 286/209/150

Height: 5'4

Default Can you have junk in the house and not eat it?

*sigh*

I sure can't. My bf was in town last week and he eats junk food and I bought some for him thinking it would all be gone. I sent him home with some but he couldn't take everything. And of course when he was here, I was eating some junk right along with him. I made banana bread also and accidently made waaaay too much so I gave some to him, and to friends but there's still 1 1/2 loaf left. Some days I can resist it, other days (like today) I cave. I just want it gone, but I don't wanna throw it out since I slaved over making that stuff from scratch.
I already got the girl scout cookies out, but I'm still mad at myself about the bread. I *know* the only reason I'm eating it is because its here. I would never go out and buy junk to bring home, but if it's alreasy here then it's a problem. Can anyone relate? Can you have junk around the house and not indulge?
gonnabfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

NOPE. Throw it out!!!! It's more wasted if it ends up on your behind than if it ends up in the bin .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

Amazingly, I can. I *never* thought I would be that person. I have cupcakes in my fridge leftover from work last week that need to be thrown out. Also cookies (open - I haven't had any) and ice cream (I have 1/4c every night). I used to finish a half gallon in two days. So yes, it can be done, but you have to know that you can ignore it. Otherwise get it outta the house!!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Nope ! I have given myself permission to "throw it out" if it accidently gets in the house.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #5  
Tori

S/C/G: 172/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

I have my days, I'm living with my parents and I can't control what they buy/eat. Usually I'm pretty good, I can notice it in the cupboard but grab my food that I opened the cupboard for. Other days it drives me crazy and I end up getting mad at them (which I shouldn't)
torito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #6  
Long Hauling It

S/C/G: 365/208/190

Height: 6' 3"

Nope, almost impossible for me. I can last for stretches, but eventually the convenience/cravings get to me, and I'll eat it.
shapedself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:21 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I live with my parents, and a mom who loves baking as much as I do. There are constantly sweets around here. Like tonight, theres angel food cake from a few days ago on the counter, and my mom made lemon bars while my sister made brownies today. I only eat sweets at night, so I can use the last little bit of my daily calories for them and its usually just a few bites xD...but i'll never be one of those people who gives up sugar completely..
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #8  

I can. I didn't think that I could, and I went into a pattern of throwing stuff out...and buying it again. I realized that throwing things out just created an anxiety-like if I can't have it I want it more. Now at most, I will freeze something, but I'm not gonna throw things out anymore. It just didn't work for me.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #9  

Also, I just wanted to note...it took me a long time before I could say no. A year ago, definitely no. People would offer me sweets and it would be so hard for me to say no, and I rarely did. Now I can for whatever reason. So maybe throwing things out is the best thing you can do for now. It depends on if having the food there drives you nuts or NOT having the food there drives you nuts lol
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #10  
Seeking Health

S/C/G: 248.8/246.6/140

Height: 5'4"

It is not possible for me to have junk food in the house and not eat it. But since my main problem is moderation almost any food in the house is a problem for me.
Seekinghealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/141.4/140

Height: 5'7"

Most of the time when I'm at home I have no problem avoiding junk! I may not always eat the healthiest choices but I always do things on moderation and work things into my plan. For me the problem comes when I'm not at home. If someone has delicious looking cookies or cake or brownies I usually can't resist! Maybe it's because the grass is always greener on the other side... also when I'm with my stick thin boyfriend I run into problems. For some reason I always have to have a bite or a sip of whatever he's having! I live at home with my mom and I'm never affected by what she's eating. Very strange.
RebaRamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #12  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I have no choice. I like with 3 guys and all three of them love junk. I cant force them to change their diets to suit me so I had to learn. I have a small section in the pantry dedicated to my snacks si when i am hungry I just head there and look.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 AM   #13  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I can if I can't:
A) Reach it
B) It's hidden.

Out of sight, out of mind. Otherwise, it's in my belly. Augh.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #14  
~Veronica~

S/C/G: 277/264/252

Height: 5'8" Age:26

Regular junk...yes. Ice cream or chocolate? Absolutely not. lol
VernDern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #15  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm living at home so there is "junk" food everywhere right now. However, I think it really helps to stop thinking in terms of "bad" and "good" when it comes to food.

Food is food. It's there to nourish us, sustain us and provide pleasure. When you remove the bad or good connotations and instead focus on what the food can do for you, it becomes much easier to control what you're eating.

I said this on my blog but I have a box of Godiva chocolates in my room from Christmas. I'm not even halfway done with it because I'll only have a piece every so often. Sometimes I want one, so I have it. Other times I'll think about it and say "well maybe I'll have one tomorrow," but often tomorrow never comes.

I often ask myself how a certain piece of food can help me. I'm trying to strengthen myself and lift heavier each week. I try to choose foods that will help me with this goal. If I notice I'm not able to go heavier, I try and adjust what I'm eating so that I can up it next week.

So I'll look at any food and say "I have 200 calories to spend on something, what should it be? How will this food help me get stronger?"

And sometimes I just have 200 calories left over and want a piece of chocolate. So I have it.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote