Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: As of 03/05/2012 - 290/290/160

Height: 5'6"

Default Restarting IP for the Umpteenth Time

Hello fellow IP'ers,

I initially began the IP program during the summer of 2010 and I was doing absolutely great on it until one day, after a few months of being on it, I had a rebellious moment involving fried chicken and french fries. Since that time, I have had the hardest time recommitting to the program with the same consistency and tenacity I had for it when I first started. I have tried over and over to do it, but by the end of the day I have gone completely off plan. Today I have decided to commit to the plan again and not to let my past failures impact my current efforts.

I just saw that there is another similar thread dealing with this same issue; however, any advice, encouragement, support, and/or prayers any of you doing the program could offer me, as I embark upon this journey again, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Luvleebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #2  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

This is probably a dumb question but have you ever considered trying a calorie controlled plan with high protein with moderated carbs? I wanted to do IP but didn't have the money so this is what I've done with good results.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #3  
Second time around

S/C/G: 181.2/181.2/155

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvleebrown View Post
Hello fellow IP'ers,

I initially began the IP program during the summer of 2010 and I was doing absolutely great on it until one day, after a few months of being on it, I had a rebellious moment involving fried chicken and french fries. Since that time, I have had the hardest time recommitting to the program with the same consistency and tenacity I had for it when I first started. I have tried over and over to do it, but by the end of the day I have gone completely off plan. Today I have decided to commit to the plan again and not to let my past failures impact my current efforts.

I just saw that there is another similar thread dealing with this same issue; however, any advice, encouragement, support, and/or prayers any of you doing the program could offer me, as I embark upon this journey again, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi! Looks like we have the same problem. I don't know why it is so hard this time either. Last week I switched and started Weight Watchers and wow, it did not go good for me. I know I didn't give it much time but this weekend I did a lot of soul searching and have decided to go back to IP. I am so mad at myself for gaining weight back after almost reaching my goal within 5 pounds. Today I am headed back into my clinic and going to try and reproduce what I did the first time around. I have to tell myself absolutely NO CHEATS! Once I cheat it is all down hill from there. I think we have to repeatedly tell ourselves just that. No cheating what so ever. I'm going to try that and see what happens. Lots of willpower coming your way. Hoping for the best for all of us out there that need some help along the way.
iowahawkeyemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #4  
Ideal Protein 5/20/14

S/C/G: 204/195/130

Height: 5'4"

It looks like I am in the same place as you two. I lost 50 lbs, was very close to my goal, had a slip up and here I am again.

I have tried restarting several times and continue to have slip ups. I think we should all commit to restarting right here and now. I am going to go back to my clinic today.

We should start a new check in for those of us who continue to struggle to stick to plan. Maybe a recommitting no cheat for 21 days challenge.

Hopefully if we are accountable to each other for the first few weeks it will make it easier to stick with if we know we have others relying on us.
Kristin135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #5  
Second time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin135 View Post
It looks like I am in the same place as you two. I lost 50 lbs, was very close to my goal, had a slip up and here I am again.

I have tried restarting several times and continue to have slip ups. I think we should all commit to restarting right here and now. I am going to go back to my clinic today.

We should start a new check in for those of us who continue to struggle to stick to plan. Maybe a recommitting no cheat for 21 days challenge.

Hopefully if we are accountable to each other for the first few weeks it will make it easier to stick with if we know we have others relying on us.

Sounds good to me! I need to be accountable and to have someone who is going through the same thing. We can do this!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4star View Post
This is probably a dumb question but have you ever considered trying a calorie controlled plan with high protein with moderated carbs? I wanted to do IP but didn't have the money so this is what I've done with good results.
No, it's not a dumb question. ; ) I used to do LA weight loss, which controlled the type and kind of carbs I could have, as well as being heavy protein based and I saw moderate weight loss results with it. I like IP because I understand the science behind it and really believe that it is the most effective and fastest way to lose weight without sacrificing muscle. Aside from that, after you get going on it strong (about two weeks in), you really are not hungry nor do you crave anything. My issue with staying the course with it was mental/psychological. I've found that when a plan is less restrictive, especially in terms of carbs, I usually go overboard with eating carbs and/or cheating. The thing with this eating plan is that it is not considered high protein, it is just the appropriate amount of protein for your body. Additionally, you think twice about cheating on this plan because the if you go back and forth with the ketosis (being in and out of it), you will feel really sick and it will take you a while to get back into a fat burning mode. So whenever, I wanted to cheat, excluding the big one, which really took me off track, I wouldn't do it because I didn't want to spend another 3-5 days trying to get back into ketosis.

I honestly believe that almost any eating plan for weight loss can be successful if you're able to be consistent with it, which has always been my problem. However, I commend you for your success and I thank you for your suggestion. ; )
Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeyemom View Post
Hi! Looks like we have the same problem. I don't know why it is so hard this time either. Last week I switched and started Weight Watchers and wow, it did not go good for me. I know I didn't give it much time but this weekend I did a lot of soul searching and have decided to go back to IP. I am so mad at myself for gaining weight back after almost reaching my goal within 5 pounds. Today I am headed back into my clinic and going to try and reproduce what I did the first time around. I have to tell myself absolutely NO CHEATS! Once I cheat it is all down hill from there. I think we have to repeatedly tell ourselves just that. No cheating what so ever. I'm going to try that and see what happens. Lots of willpower coming your way. Hoping for the best for all of us out there that need some help along the way.
Hello. I think it's hard because there is no room for error with this plan. If you stick to it, you lose if you don't, you will not lose weight, period. I tried WW too a while back and I didn't like having to do math everything I wanted to eat something and I was still eating fairly unhealthy on it.

Congrats to you on your recommittment as well. I send well wishes of willpower to you too! I believe we can all do it. Thank you for your well wishes and I wish you success on your journey. Reading these posts is helping me get mentally stronger, so I appreciate your response to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin135 View Post

I like your idea of the 21 day challenge. Let's just start with getting through the first 3-5 days first, which are usually the hardest. I like the accountability aspect of it and knowing that I am not alone in the things I have gone through and will go through on this particular path to weight loss. Great suggestion.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #9  
Maintaining-March, 2011

S/C/G: 184/IP 175.6/133/130

Whenever I'm having a hard time, I go back and reread Dr. Chanh's book. The link to it is on the first post of every daily chat thread. It always motivates me and reminds me why I lost the weight using the IP method. It makes so much sense. Good Luck to you all!!
woolberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #10  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

Jumping on board with all of you! IP helped me get rid of 54lbs in 18wks and for some stupid reason I started to believe everyone that I looked great. Let that mess with my head and now 6 months and 20lbs gained I am back on plan. Have tried to get back on plan every Monday since Jan. 1, this will be different and am going to lean on everyone here to make me 100% accountable.

Best of luck to everyone restarting, it isn't easy but no one said the good stuff was going to be easy but it is worth it!
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #11  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvleebrown View Post
Reading these posts is helping me get mentally stronger, so I appreciate your response to me.
You are strong. You can do this.

When I read your post, this song came to me. I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor. She sings about a bad ex but maybe substitute cheating or cravings or sugar for the guy.

Go on now go, walk out the door, just turn around now, cause you're not welcome anymore.

Or, you can imagine the scene from The Replacements where the guys were dancing to it.

Has a good beat. I just did a little dance myself.

YOU.CAN.DO.THIS.

Back to dancing now....
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #12  
Second time around

Hardest part of the day is always when I get home from work until dinner is ready. I'm sipping herbal tea and munching on celery while it is cooking to keep myself from reaching for something off program.

I went in to the clinic today and got weighed. Not good news. I am now only 9 pounds from my original weight when I started IP. I'm not going to get down by that.....I'm looking at it as a 9 pound start to my goal.

Everyone stay strong and focused. We can do this!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm in! At least for 11 days, then I am traveling for a week and I just never seem to do as well traveling. I hadn't really had much trouble restarting, but we went away last week and I feel off track...back 100% today!
I go to the gym between after work and dinner.keeps me from eating!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #14  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

1. If you live alone remove off plan food from your kitchen. (In my case, it felt really good to give away the food.)
2. Prepare food ahead, cut up veggies and store in containers so it's ready to use in salads or cook. That way you can grab the right food for your meal without having to prep food while you're hungry. Plus, spending time prepping food helps to keep me from straying off plan.
3. Write a list of reasons why you want to lose the weight and think about your reasons often. (I want to ride with an equestrian group, fit into tall riding boots, reduce the load my horse carries, ride better, play tennis, feel confident, etc.)
4. If you feel the urge to cheat, walk outside and view your garden to get a change of scenery, go shopping for clothes, start projects that utilize your hands.
5. Drink tisanes, flavored water, and even make hot chocolate with WF choc syrup, water, and liquid stevia.
6. snack on cucumbers or celery.
7. Tell yourself you are wonderful and you deserve to have better health!!

Last edited by sekc14; 03-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 187.6/164.2/135

Thanks to reading this post, I made an appt today and got a new starter pack. I was within 5 lbs of goal and managed to gain it all back + 5 lbs. I tried to use alternatives, but I need the accountability of showing someone my food journal.

My biggest downfalls is staying away from diet mt dew and the salad dressing part. I love ranch dressing and can't stomach any of the WF dressings. I may have to learn to eat my lettuce dry.

My first official day is tomorrow! This time I pray I can lose it and keep it off!
becca1978 is offline   Reply With Quote