Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 02:59 PM   #1  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

Default Sweetenders?

I just ordered a new product called Sweetenders which supposedly kills your cravings for sugars and makes anything sugary taste bland and unappetizing. It was about $10 for 90 of these lozenges. I'm just wondering if anyon has had any success with these guys...especially since sugar is my WEAKNESS!
Thanks,
Old 05-01-2003, 04:33 PM   #2  

Probably another waste of money. Most lozenges are sugar so what is this made out of?
Old 05-01-2003, 04:55 PM   #3  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

I'm not sure Susan...it's one of those products that sounds like a scam, but they did consumer tests on news channels and most people said that it seemed to work for them. I'll let u know w hen I get them...they said 10-14 days! Seems like alot, but supposedly they are only available at Rite Aids and maybe it's just that we dn't have any around here.
Old 05-02-2003, 01:30 AM   #4  
it's always something

It sounds interesting! I found three reports on it:

Quote:
The Skinny On Sweet-Enders

A CBS 2 Special Report

Nov 21, 2002 10:20 pm US/Eastern
NEW YORK (CBS) Cookies, brownies, cheesecake, fruit tart and candy. These are all very hard to resist. But CBS 2 invited a group of sugar-lovers to do just that. They've agreed to try a new diet-aid lozenge that claims to take away sugar cravings by blocking the ability to taste sweets. CBS 2’s Kirstin Cole has the story.

The lozenge, from CCA Industries, is called Sweet-Enders, and it contains an herb called gymnema sylvestre, used for centuries in India where its name means "sugar-destroyer."

The gymnema locks onto the sugar receptors in the tongue and numbs them.

The idea is that when you can't taste sugar, the company says, you won't want to eat it.

“If you know that the sponge cake that you just picked up and put in your mouth now tastes like a kitchen sponge, you're going to be a lot less likely to take another piece of it,” says Rick Handel a CCA researcher.

Sixty five percent of Americans are now overweight according to the U.S. Surgeon general. Sugars can be an addiction, but if you can go for 6 weeks or more without them, you can break the habit.

Here’s the skinny.

The directions say to let one lozenge dissolve in the mouth whenever you feel an urge to eat sweets or drink sugary beverages. Then when you taste sweets you should notice the difference.

“That's weird. I didn't believe it. This is my favorite cookie and I can't taste it,” says Josh, on of CBS 2’s taste testers. “It's usually nice and sweet and nutty and it's plain,” says Shirley, another taste tester.

Four of our five testers noticed the surprising effect.

Most of them actually did put down their desserts unfinished. But can this really help dieters? There is evidence you can change your desire for certain foods, so there's hope for sugar-aholics.

Sweet-Enders claims to work for two hours.

The gymnema sylvestre herb isn't very well known in the United States, but it just may become better known through products like this.

Many health food stores carry it.
Quote:
KSTP tv
It's that time of year again.. Our dinner tables are blanketed with 'comfort foods,' it's too cold for most outdoor activities, and for many of us, the scale is starting to show it.

But there's a new product on store shelves just this month which promises to help you fight the need for sweets.

For a lot of people, the sight of these sugar-filled sweets starts a chain reaction--the mouth starts to water, and willpower heads for the hills. That's where dieting, even healthy eating, can face real trouble.

We asked Contact 5 product taste tester and self-proclaimed chocoholic Cheryl Smith to try SweetEnders. Its makers say this herbal lozenge will make sweets taste bad and help you resist the temptation to eat them.

Felicia Busch of the American Dietetic Association says, "I don't think we know enough about the science and psychology of food and taste to be able to say is that good enough."

Busch is skeptical about the claims. She likens the craving for sweets to cravings for a cigarette.

Busch says, "There's one immediate I want something in my mouth type of craving, but then there can also be a sort of psychological/physiological craving in your brain."

Shortly after the lozenge dissolved, we asked Cheryl to try some chocolate ("It still tastes like Hershey's chocolate candy bar," she said)...then cheesecake ice cream ("…still tastes like cheesecake too.")

We asked product taste tester John Stinson to try some sweets as well. With John, a little more time had elapsed. "It does taste a little different to me," he said after taking a sip of Coca Cola.

Then, after waiting a while longer, "The more I drink, the less flavor I taste," John said.

Given time, the lozenge did make sweet food taste bad. That bad taste is supposed to last about two hours.

Cheryl says, "If I can enjoy one small piece and have a way of taking away that urge to have more or to finish that box, that would be great."

When you're faced with this sort of temptation, a little boost in willpower may help you see past the sweets.

Right now, SweetEnders is only sold at Target stores. And remember, it's an herbal product, so it's claims are not reviewed by the Food and Drug Administration.
Quote:
Good Housekeeping Institute
If candy, cake and cookies wreak havoc on your diet, a new pill called SweetEnders ($9.99 for 90) promises the solution. Just let this minty lozenge dissolve in your mouth and, the company says, sugar becomes tasteless. Does it work?

Good Housekeeping Institute nutritionist Delia Hammock, R.D., asked several sweet-tooth testers to try the pills for three days. While SweetEnders did eliminate the taste of sugar, less than half of our panelists thought this product would help them lose weight.

Bottom line: You won't drop 20 pounds just by popping this pill; you also have to follow SweetEnders' sensible meal plan, says Hammock.

To find out where to buy SweetEnders or to order by phone, call 800-524-2720 (x175).
It looks like something that might work to a degree, to help curb sugar cravings temporarily.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #5  

I saw a report on the news about this. The people who tried it said it changed the taste of sweet. I think it may be like the nicorette gum changed the taste of a cigarette. It could be helpful to some people.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/160/140

Height: 5'6

I just rec'd these in the mail. I am a major sugar-a-holic. I took a lozenge before we went to a fair and I had no desire for my usuals...cotton candy, etc. The real test came when I took a lonzenge and then licked dd's sucker. The sucker tasted BAD! I think this could help with sugar issues. The drawback is you have to have them on you at all times. I went grocery shopping without them and wound up with bit-O-honey's in my cart.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #7  

Wink

I tried the product and have found a strong mint or brushing my teeth does the same thing.
Closed Thread