Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/310/150

Height: 5' 6"

Default New and Two days in! Today is my 3rd day.

Hi!

I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jen and really need & want to lose weight. I have struggled off and on for years and now I'm at the highest weight I have ever been. I'm so bummed about it.

I have 3 kids that keep me pretty busy and I am a stay at home mom.

I've been doing WW, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I know that I am addicted to carbs and sugar and when I eat those things, It causes the biggest, nastiest binge ever. And then I end up feeling sick and sluggish, miserable, etc...

Due to a metabolic disorder recently (due to being heavy, unhealthy, it's thrown some stuff out of whack, but if I lose weight and control my carbs, this will fix itself), I have been encouraged to do low carb. I did Atkins 13 years ago. I lost 25lbs. But I have gained SO much weight since then and now it's kind of overwhelming to think about!

Right now, I am starting my 3rd day. Usually in the past when I go low carb, I have a melting point and I can't get through those first few days. I know that's the detox of the carbs.

I started Friday and I felt great all day! Yesterday, I felt great all day and I even cut out my coffee. And so far today, I feel great and not tempted and I'm not in that carb fog either.

I need to buy some Keto stix. But I weighed in Friday before I ate for the day and started at 315. Today I weigh 311 exactly. I must be doing something right! LOL!!

I just wanted to say hi and I'm going to just jump right in!
JP Maidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #2  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Welcome!

I just had a baby myself, in Canada we get a year of maternity leave so I'll be a stay at home mom for another 10 months It is definitely hard when you are home all day with kids. I ate a lot of quick, easy bad for you food at first. I did Atkins in the past before with success. I really do feel great on this diet.

Glad you are taking the first step to being healthy, best of luck
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

Hi JP and welcome. You are doing good, 4 pounds is a great start. I found after 3 days I didn't feel hungry at all and no cravings. Ok sometimes I think about potato chips but I'm not too bothered by it. In my home there are cookies etc.. all around me and it doesn't bother me at all.

I've known people who did WW and was successful at it but you have to do what's best for you. I don't even mention atkins to people because many people still have negative thoughts when it comes to atkins and I don't have time to try and change people minds that are already made up. I just let my results prove it

You sound busy with 3 kids, I'm not a mom but I admire you women out there who are, it's rewarding job but hard word.

Have a good week and hang in there it gets better.
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #4  

Height: 5.6

Hey, Congrats on your 4 lbs. Im starting a diet too. Im trying the Wonderslim and my order is gonna (Fingers crossed) get here tomorrow. Im going for about 34lbs weight loss and am very hopeful about this product cause i love eating and this program doesnt sound too hard to transition too. i wish u luck and keep us posted in your progress
shannoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 315/310/150

Height: 5' 6"

thank you for the welcome!

Today is day 4 and I feel really good! Although this morning, I am up 1.8lbs. But I think I may have had too much sodium yesterday. So I need to really watch that. I think i get a little carried away and I need to remember that there are STILL things I need to pay attention to.

I still need to go pick up Keto stix so I can see where I am.
JP Maidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #6  
Cindy

Height: 5' 8"

Hi there JP! I have a little experience doing the low-carb thing and mostly, what I've noticed is...

The first week or two you'll probably see a dramatic loss. About week four (for me) my loss leveled off and I'm now losing 1 or 2 pounds a week. I was discouraged about this at first but now I keep reminding myself it's a slow process and my patience will be ultimately rewarded.

I am a carb addict so I've had to re-train myself. I got some good advice from my daughter who is a long-time vegetarian. Look at banned food as things you CAN'T have - not things that you are skipping for now. When I go to the grocery store and see a bag of chips or a loaf of fresh baked bread I consciously say to myself, "you can't have that." Not, "I'll have that later." If you train yourself to think of those food items as totally OFF LIMITS, it's easier.
cldwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #7  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Welcome Jen. Sounds like you are doing great! I just on Atkins a week ago. Having young kids can be tough when dieting, because besides the stress, you have special food in the house for them, which you are tempted to eat. Try not to bring your favorite carbs in the house. Give them carbs, even sweets, but ones you can resist.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Welcome and good luck! This is a great place to share success, ask for advice, or just rant when needed! My last baby was 1.5 years ago so cant say I just had one but he is my latest excuse for why I gained more weight :P anyway good luck to you! Its a long road but you can do it!
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/191/125

Height: 5'4"

I'm new, too. I just started today, in fact.

About 10 years ago I lost a bunch of weight on Atkins (I didn't reach goal but I was looking good), then I met my husband and in a few months I had a spouse and stepson to feed and carbs came back into my life. So did the weight. I tried a few times to get back on, but things always seemed to get in the way.

Until now. This time will be different because my attitude is different. This will be a lifestyle change. I won't just be low carbing as a diet to lose some pounds. I will be doing the healthiest version of Atkins...real foods, all the veggies, all the water, no pseudo-foods...I'm doing it right because it's the only thing that has ever worked for me, and this is the way I need to eat for a healthy body and a healthy psyche.

So, hi! You'll be seeing me here for a while.
Milaandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #10  

Hi Milanndra welcome, very nice people here.

I understand where you are coming from and we all learn from our mistakes, I know I have when I did atkins years ago and lost weight and over the years but it back on due to laziness and poor eating habits..
Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #11  
carvinmom

S/C/G: 359/254/150

Height: 5'5''

Default old member and beginning again

hi,
ive come back for the support i know thats here.. I am here because i flubbed up again. I lost over 100 pounds and then fell off the wagon for some reason i dont know. I know atkins works for me and i feel so much better when im on it. I hope i can tag along and read all the quotes and maybe ad a comment or two. Im here if someone needs a buddy...
Excuse me if i dont post right.. its been awhile and im not sure where to go or what to do... if im in the wrong place please let me know... many blessings to all atkins members

Last edited by carvinmom; 04-11-2012 at 10:36 PM. Reason: not sure posted right
carvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #12  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Welcome Carvinmom! Don't worry about not posting right, just join right in. I like this board because it is a nice small manageable group, and nobody gets lost or neglected. Great job coming back here after you got lost. That's the most important thing. Believe me, we have all done it at one time or another. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carvinmom View Post
hi,
ive come back for the support i know thats here.. I am here because i flubbed up again. I lost over 100 pounds and then fell off the wagon for some reason i dont know. I know atkins works for me and i feel so much better when im on it. I hope i can tag along and read all the quotes and maybe ad a comment or two. Im here if someone needs a buddy...
Excuse me if i dont post right.. its been awhile and im not sure where to go or what to do... if im in the wrong place please let me know... many blessings to all atkins members
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #13  

well said serenity.. I couldn't agree more that this forum has helped me a lot. I wish it was around when I did akins years ago..
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #14  

Yes I could really use a buddy carvinmom We are about the same age and weight. I can not PM yet
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote