Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #7

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

What a lazy day I am bound to have. I got up earlier than usual and I don’t feel much like doing anything, at least at the present. It is 42ºs as I type and “feels like” 34ºs, however, it is mostly sunny and only a slight breeze. They say the winds will come back on Monday. I do have something that I have to do today and that is to put color in my hair. I don’t have to do much thinking about what to fix for dinner for we do have that meatloaf left-over that is delicious. I think I will make Panini sandwiches for lunch then have some chili beans out of the freezer for dinner. Jean’s chili sounded so good that gave me that idea for sure.

Cecil is getting so big it is hard to believe how fast he has grown. He has a 2” x 4” piece of foam that he delights in playing with. I think it was packing for a cell phone at one time. Just the perfect size to fit on the front of one anyway. It is one of his most favorite toys. I received an e-mail from the nice lady we got him from and she said she just had the kittens she kept, taken to the vet and he loved their big feet. They have feet like Cecil. He will be able to slap with a whack but not put out those 6 claws. So far he hasn’t hurt the dogs eyes, thank goodness. He eats periodically through the day now but when he gets to be a full grown cat I will only put food out for him to eat, then pick it up when he is finished. Right now he needs it for he is growing so fast. He delights in dropping food to the floor for Beanie, who loves the game of eating it.

Will has some very old long guns here that belong to the museum so he can work on them when he wants, instead of the little time he is at the museum. It is amazing how those old soldiers could wield them around for they are very heavy. Very heavy. It takes a bit of time and patience to get the rust off of them ~ carefully. Some are tagged “cleaned up” but they really weren’t. Whoever put the tags on them didn’t seem to have cleaned the guns at all. They may have wiped them down and considered them clean. There are so many antique guns down there that need cleaning that I don’t believe Will can get them all cleaned before we leave here.

JEAN Hope your day goes well with you and you get things accomplished as you wish. Thanks for speaking of chili for it sure helped me decide what to thaw for dinner this day.

It is time now for me to get the move on ~ and get some necessary things done this day. Have a lovely weekend Magnolias.

Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #2  

Afternoon girls. I don't know what I did, but yesterday's post completely vanished! I have been running around all morning and finally have a minute to sit and post. I went with Kelly at 6:30 this morning out to the base to get her a pass and id so she can take her final at the Navy College out at the base. She is getting her degree online, but has to take the finals and stuff at one of the colleges. I guess this university puts them on military bases, which is nice. Jack could have gotten his degree if they had those kind of things back then. We then went to breakfast and had a really nice visit and I came home and Jack and I ran some errands and got some lunch and came home. I put a load of laundry in washer and straightened up a bit, need to go and unload dishwasher and reload it and the clothes will be dry soon and ready to fold. I had a rough night last night so may end up with a nap today before it gets too late.

I am making chilimac for dinner tonight. I think I am going to have a frozen dinner roll and Jack can have garlic bread.

I bought this little almost sample pak of a new jelly belly candy. It is very cherry jelly bellys in covered in dark chocolate. They are really good so am glad it wasn't in a big bag because I would scarf them down I am afraid.

Tomorrow is commissary day and tackle the guest room getting the shoes and purses put away.

I guess I should go and get some more work done. I will catch up with everyone tomorrow. Have a good Saturday all! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #3  

Good morning, ladies! It's only 41 degrees and raining today.

I had English Paper Piecing Bee on Friday and Bella's Belles yesterday. I took my lunch both days - no guilt. My friend Jo at WW really like the scarves I knit for her. Our regular leader was not there yesterday, her sister who usually fills in when she is gone was sick so we had Tanya. I love her and would go to her meeting but she is a district manager and only has 2 meetings a week, one in the evening and one when I'm at the Y. She has a great Facebook page and posts tons of recipes and tips - usually 1-6 recipes every day. She is very inspirational. Check her out at Weight Watcher Leader Tonya.

I'm doing some laundry and the bathrooms today. Pretty boring but the reward is quilting when it's done.

Faye, I saw your FB post about finding shoes that hadn't been worn. It gave me a chuckle. I have brown and black, one pair each that I can wear now and my cross-trainers. Easy choice about what I'll be wearing.

Maggie, it's time for me to color my hair again. I think I'm going to let it grow out and quit coloring it so I bought a shade darker this time. I never had a cat that overate so I've always left dry food out for them.

Hi, Jean!

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #4  

Afternoon gals. We have been busy all morning at the commissary. They had the back gate closed until Mar 9 so we had to go around the base and into town and they are doing construction going into town so it is a real mess. Lines getting into base because of only on gate open and then commissary was super busy because it is the first of the month. We got it all lugged home and put away though so Jack is up in his office and I am piddling around down here trying to get up gumption to do some work.

Susan: I found this adorable pair of black and white slide type shoes with a big white day across the top and I have no idea when I bought them as I have never even worn them. I found a pair of dress shoes I can wear on the ship because they have a flat heel but are really dressy looking and a bunch of sandals I haven't worn or worn only once so have scads to pick from. Like I said, Jack teased me but thought it was hilarious. He was even impressed with them and told me how cute they will be with this outfit or that outfit. He told me he was glad he bought me to extra large duffles as I will need one just for the shoes I'll take!

I am at the no Advil part of the surgery so it will be a rough week next week with no pain meds whatsoever, but that's the way it goes I guess. I have started the new meds and so far so good, but we shall see what happens.

Nothing else going on here so I guess I will go out and start the dishwasher and get the hygiene stuff put away Jack took upstairs for me. Have a beautiful Sunday and talk to you all tomorrow. faye
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Windy Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a sunny windy day this Sunday with a temp of 66º and no rain in sight in the forecast. We so need the rain.

We took a nice long drive about the country and the trees are not budding yet but our lilacs in our yard are. We are going to have lots of lovely lavender lilacs.

We had Chinese after services this day and I ate sensibility but I expect to have a hit tomorrow because I didn’t “write what I bite” this week and I don’t have an excuse. I was just plain L-A-Z-Y about my program. However I did cook some good meals. Tomorrows : will tell the tale. If I show a gain ~ I deserved it if I show a loss ~ that will certainly be a mystery. Time has come to re-group and get a better grip on things. I have promised myself to write what I bite this coming week which is the only way I can keep in control.

DONNA FAYE Gracious, you have a lot of shoes. You and Emelda Marcos. Well, to let it be known I would have lots of shoes myself but they don't make that many that work well with my brace. I have a few pair and it just has to be that way for me now. It's a good thing you were able to go shopping in your supply and find ones that will work well on your vacation with the outfits you have chosen. Too bad you have to quit taking your meds that long before your operation but maybe they would interfere with the knock out stuff they will be using. Any operation I ever had I went in "emergency" and there was no time to quit my meds before-hand and all things turned out fine. Yep my back operation and gall bladder operations were both "emergencies."

SUSAN I am hoping this kitten isn't an "over-eater" when he grows up. I have never had a cat that was either. This will kinda be a wait and see type thing with Cecil. He munches a lot now because he is growing so fast. The dogs aren't over-eaters but we don't leave food out all the time for them; doing it that way helps regulate their outdoor trips.

JEAN And what are you up to this day?

Have a great afternoon folks. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-04-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another crappy weather day in my neighborhood. The sun never stuck around yesterday, and although the weatherman said it would today we haven't seen it. Had some lazy snow showers earlier along with the wind. It's foggy over the lake right now. We went to early church and I have done zilch since. Ernie and I did have a nap in front of the tv while basketball games were on. I think a combination of "working" and this cold/sore throat/coughing is making me tired.

Maggie -- It's just not fair you are having warmer weather than I am! We have lilac bushes but the dumb neighbor behind us has a tree growing within a bush, along with tall weeds, that shade our bushes so they don't bloom like they should. I suggested getting new bushes and replanting but Bob doesn't want to dig the old bushes up because we have 5 cats buried in and around them. Will the rust return on the guns that Will is working on? I don't know anything about guns; Jason has several but got them all once he left home.

Susan -- Tanya sounds like a great WW leader! I happened to run into mine in the grocery store last week. She has the same "crud" I do, but had noticed I've been awol. She wasn't there the last time I went before we left for Maui, nor the meeting when we returned. I need to get back this week since I will have NO excuses. I leave dry cat food out all day also, and have for all of our cats over the years. My mom always said a cat won't overeat like a dog will. I'm not so sure though, Leonard always snarfed his food down like he was never going to eat again. He wouldn't eat dry food so got fed canned twice a day. He was a strange cat!

"Gma" -- I haven't had Jelly Belly candy in forever. They were Beth's favorites when she was little. We had a candy store where you could buy them divided in a box by flavors and the recipes to make different flavors by combining one or more. They were fun! I had to at you finding all shoes! Did you know you had so many? You will be going on the cruise in grand style! I hope the time w/o Advil won't be too hard on you.

Guess I will head back downstairs and finish the Sunday paper. Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 03-04-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday ~ Weigh Day

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 48ºs and “feels like” it is 41ºs for it is a very windy day that they say will climb up to 70ºs. Oh joy. I certainly do hope that we don’t jump from Winter right into Summer this year. Last year we didn’t have any nice Spring days and our garden got fried because of it. After we get back from Texas in April we will do some serious planning of our garden. Well I am up a pound, as expected, and have vowed to myself to write what I bite this week and get back OP. Gotta get a grip and FOCUS. The dogs are at the groomer and Cecil is wandering the house looking in each room. I don’t have any plans yet of what I am cooking this day ~ perhaps Will will grill that tri tip that is in the freezer. I’ll ask him when he returns and we can get out to thaw. I can quick thaw it in my microwave if necessary. We can have some glorious sandwiches out of it’s leftovers on the marrow. I have the fixin’s for a nice green salad and some Ciabata buns. Oh but it may be too windy to grill outside. Bummer. I’ll have to think of something else. Did I ever tell you I hate this wind? I am sure I did many times.

JEAN After Will gets all the rust off the guns and they are nice and clean he applies thin application of whats called "Renaissance Wax" on them that protects from future rust. Too bad you can't sneak over and trim your neighbors weeds down. I can just see the headlines in the daily paper there ~ "Woman Caught Trespassing and Property Ruination" A local woman dared to enter her neighbors property and cut down some tall weeds and the judge gave her community work for a week to cut down weeds in her neighborhood.

Everyone have a lovely Monday.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining and the wind is still blowing. It just looks warmer outside because of the sunshine. I've been to church and need to pick up the gift shop money after lunch. There were no parking places on my way home and I don't like to park in the drive-up lane if I can help it. We're having leftover chili for lunch whenever Bob gets home.

Maggie -- You will have that extra pound gone in no time! It's funny you would suggest cutting down the neighbor's tree and weeds. Many years ago they built a tree house, of sorts, for their son. The door on our side wouldn't stay shut and would bang in the wind driving us nutty. Bob went over one day and nailed it shut! By this time the kid had outgrown it and never played in it any more. Well, the woman happened to see him, ran out of the house, and reamed him up one side and down the other. They are the party neighbors so usually drinking -- probably wouldn't have noticed the banging door in a million years. The tree house is now long gone.

I need to finish laundry and the dryer has towels ready to fold. My clothesline broke so I'm hoping Bob fixed it before he left this morning. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #9  

Afternoon girls. I am a bit late getting in here as I have been busy this morning. I have one of my famous lists going so I can get everything done and the house all cleaned before I go into the hospital. I made Fortune's dog food this morning which always takes awhile because you have to cook the pasta or rice and rinse in cold water and dump in the bowl, brown the hamburger and rinse it and crumble it fine and dump into bowl, then food process any veggies you are putting in, in this case 2 carrots, 2 beets and I have to rinse them well to get off any salt from packing then into the bowl they go. I hand mix everything to make sure it is all well incorporated then I sit and measure 2/3 c into freezer baggies and put them in the freezer then have to clean up the mess. I am not even cleaned up and dressed yet! I am going upstairs after I finish posting and dust, collect trash from trash baskets, and clean bathrooms then I am done for today. Tomorrow is tackle the shoes and get them back in order. My shoe holder is a really nice canvas one and Jack came up with a terrific idea on how to put it back up on the rod so he is going to help me with that and he is going to shampoo the dining room tonight after dinner. I may fool with the shoes while he is doing that.

I have to organize a bag that I want Jack to bring to the room after I get back to my permanent room. It will have my cell phone, which has books on it, comfy clothing to wear home, my knitting, lotion and stuff like that so I can feel presentable every day I am in there. I am going to feel bad enough as it is without looking bad too!

Maggie: Yeah it can be tough the week before when I am in pain and can't take anything for it, but I just use a heating pad and it usually helps some. I will be glad to get this over with and talk to the dr about the uterine thing and get it solved on Thursday. I am on the third day of these pills and I haven't had any problems. So maybe I will get through it ok without any problems. If I remember right, your last trip was a total disaster wasn't it? I don't remember what happened I remember you came home real early from it I think. I do have a lot of shoes, probably 40 prs or so I imagine. I even got rid of a bunch of them a couple years ago but am right back to my full limit again. I think my shoe holder can hold 20 prs.

Jean: I bought a pair of dress shoes that should be delivered today and I doubt I am going to keep them now that I see what shoes I have upstairs! I did buy another pair of those clog style from Easy Spirit this time in solid white because they are so comfortable to walk in they will be great for the excursions and since the other pair is ginham pink and white, I can't wear them with everything. I got a great deal from shoebuy on them, they had been discounted $10 then had a 20% discount for their winter sale then I got a discount for being a member so my $69 shoes cost me $43! I also ordered my dresses so I am not pretty well set. My shapers should be delivered today along with my shoes and handbag. Ummm, I bought a cute pink I Love Lucy handbag at shoebuy because I got a great deal on it! I know, I am a lost cause, but like I told my older sister, I don't smoke, I don't drink and I don't chew so what else can I spend Jack's money on?

Well, this isn't getting a shower and the rest of my work done. You all have a great start to your week. I am one week out from surgery now, ugh! Faye

Susa
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #10  

Morning everyone. It is another nice sunny day here but still cool this morning. I am getting ready to go upstairs and clean the hall bathroom and fix all the shoe mess since Jack fixed my shoe holder and has it back up on the rack. I decided I was going to go ahead and put the sandals and dress shoes I am going to take on the cruise in one of my luggage pieces, then put shoes I wear in the shoe holder as many as it will hold then shoes I want to keep in the bottom of the tote and shoes I wear but there wasn't room for on top. I have a few pair I will probably get rid of, dress shoes with pointy narrow toes. I will just give them to Good Will.

Jack did the dining room rug last night so will shampoo the living room one tonight and that job will be done. I am going to make up some meals or at least do prep stuff like chopping meat and veggies and stuff like that for meals when I get home. We will probably eat easy stuff and takeout for the first week until I get to walking around and standing and stuff better. I have stuff to make sloppy joes, hot dogs, pot roast is easy to just throw together, stuff I don't have to stand at the stove a lot or Jack can fix. I can also do prep sitting down and then just finish it up on the stove or oven. I have chicken casserole stuff too. I also bought some little chicken salad and tuna salad with crackers kits, fruit, ww type meals stuff like that for me for lunches as Jack can't take time off and we still go on the cruise with taking off while I am in the hospital.

Nothing much else going on around here. Just trying to get everything done and all to go to the hospital next week. I am getting my list scratched off little by little!

Have a great day all. faye
Old 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #11  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful sunny "warmer" day in my neighborhood today. Mr. Wind is still blowing however. I've been to the bank and back to the church office to check on some addresses for my birthday cards coming up. This afternoon I have a coffee date with another retired teacher.

"Gma" -- It sounds like you have your day all planned out. It's a great feeling to accomplish whatever is on the "to do" list. I didn't realize that fixing Fortune's food was such a process. You are a good mom! I'm sure you are anxious to get your hospital stay over with and get back into a regular routine at home. I sure hope all goes well with your surgery.

I need to get back to my never ending chore list. I wonder how much daily maid service would cost? Enjoy your day!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We have some whacky weather going on. It is currently 62ºs here in the ♥-Land with an expected high to be 77º today. However, we are under “critical fire weather conditions” which promote dangerous fire behavior. AH, but they are also predicting snow will come on Thursday when the temperature are expected to drop. We really could use some rain.

I did better points wise yesterday than I had expected I would do and didn’t use all my daily allotment. I had one of WW’s French toast and turkey sausage breakfasts a bit ago and it sure was tasty with a bottle of Perrier. The wind is blowing too hard to BBQ again this day so I will be cooking inside.

I am going to attack cleaning out the bedroom closet this day. I cleaned out the one here in my office looking for something and didn’t find it so next is the bedroom closet. I have a container of dog grooming items and don’t have a clue where it is. It used to live on a shelf in my office closet but it is no longer there. A mystery abounds. Where – o – where could it be. In the kit are all the things a person would need to bath a dog. Clippers and all the necessary grooming tools. I have not used it since we moved here three and some years ago but thought I knew where it was for I was going to check if any of the items had exceeded their expiration date. If the prices keep going up we just may become the dogs groomers.

DONNA FAYE Looks like you are getting all your ducks in a row to make it easier for you and Jack after you have your operation. Such a good idea to make plans like you are doing. Hopefully all goes well and you are back to exact soon. Your pooch is quite the gourmet.

JEAN Spring is really on it’s way.

Type at y'all later. I am off to hunt for my dog grooming kit.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-06-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #13  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another gloomy day in my neighborhood but a much warmer 49 degrees than predicted. Of course that can change within the hour. I have a memorial meeting at church this afternoon and then bell practice. I need to sort through the paper pile on the kitchen island sometime today. I noticed fur bunnies floating around so should vacuum sometime soon.

Maggie -- I will join you in the wacky weather club! We were supposed to be much colder today with rain changing to snow. So far no rain nor snow, and most of our snow melted yesterday. The tv said it was 78 in Sioux City yesterday! I'm not sure how warm it was here but did see runners in shorts and tank tops. I wore a spring jacket in the afternoon. I hope you found your dog grooming kit. I hate it when I'm sure I know where something is and then can't find it.

I need to get busy and get a few things done this morning. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy your day!

Last edited by Jean; 03-07-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Wednesday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 48ºs and expected to climb up to 53ºs before the day is over then of all things tomorrow it is going to snow so they say. We do need the moisture but I can hope that it rains instead.

We are going to have to “re-think” how we are going to garden this year. We don’t want it ruined like last year. Maybe we will be planting in pots which we can move easily and have adequate shade for the plants instead planting in the ground baking in the hot sun. There are ways and we are going to find one that works for us. When we get back from Texas we will know more of what we will be doing for our planting.

I have been through absolutely every closet and cupboard and that dog grooming kit has complete hidden itself from my sight. If it ended out in one of the two sheds Will will have to go through them for I don’t go in them at all. It looks like we will be replacing the whole kit anyway when we get back from our trip sometime. This go-round we will buy cordless clippers which will be the most spendy thing we will need to get. They have better nail clippers on the market now also. Just need to be prepared to take care of our pooches. I have a table right here in my office that looks exactly like one they are selling for dog grooming so that is one thing I won’t have to purchase.

My computer is giving me fits this morning for it keeps giving me messages that it is closing my mail program because of a problem. Currently it is running a weekly check that has been set up to go through searching for anything that may have crept into it that doesn’t belong.

JEAN The weather is doing funny things it seems. Wish it would just settle down and give us a nice Spring and quit with this snow thing. Nope, didn't find that kit that I last remember seeing on a shelf in my office closet. the mystery abounds.

Hope all goes well with all Magnolias this day. Gonna go and get some lunch.

Last edited by Maggie; 03-07-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #15  

Good afternoon gals. It is 80 here today! I wore sandals and capris this morning. I had lots to do today and never could get in here until now. I went first thing and got my hair cut then to the nail salon, did some shopping came home, colored my hair, did laundry, took off and went to get Jack from work then back home.

I have my gyn appt tomorrow and have a list of questions I want to ask. I haven't had the symptoms she said like possible heavy bleeding, none at all in fact, but have had after the 3rd day of the stuff upset stomach and diahrrea, which is one of the minor things that can happen. I don't want to take anything with the surgery coming up before I talk to her and maybe have her recommend something that might help. I have taken it with food and without and get the same tummy trouble.

I have the downstairs to clean, Jack is going to do the living room rug Friday night and then I can pack my bag and be all set for Monday. I have to be there at 6:30 AM even though I am not first on the surgical list. I imagine it will be at least 10 AM or so before they get to me. I should be mighty hungry by then.

The lucy bag is more like a tote, but I am going to keep it and take my knitting and stuff in it for the cruise. It is too cute to send back. I did send the shoes back, for one thing, my foot would slide off the side as I walked so I could see me breaking an ankle or twisting one on the ship.

I didn't tell you that last Friday they found a body under a bridge in the creek right out by Jack's work, EUWWWWWW! I haven't seen anything about it since then. Then yesterday they had a flash fire at the oil refinery which is in the same area as Jack's plant and three guys got burned, one 90% of his body, one 75% and one 30%. I imagine two of those guys are going to be lucky to live through it. From what I understand they weren't employees but contract workers too.

Jean: Though it is warm, it is really windy here today. How did bell practice go? How many of you are there? Thomas just got his band picture taken and he is so cute. He is growing up so fast.

Maggie: How much do you have to pay to have them groomed? Fortune will let me do a lot, but not use clippers on him. I don't know how Wesley gets him to hold still. It costs me $38 to have him groomed and thank goodness I keep him short or I would have to have him groomed more than once a month or so I am afraid.

Well girls, I need to go and work on something for dinner. Have a nice evening! faye