Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default March Chat

Well, well, someone forgot to start the new thread. Have been MIA for a couple of days, spent 2 nights in London (ONT) for work. fbs 5.2 today. Lots of carby foods today. Wednesday took food with me, but when I had to stay overnight, just had to eat as best as possible and stay within points. Missed my weigh in for ww, so I have to find a meeting tomorrow am to do. (Again, makes me feel like I'm in AA)

Lots of news here, glad to read about everyone.
HOpe March is a good month for us all.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:03 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks, MAD. It slipped my mind, duh! I just closed the February thread. Good work at staying within points. I know what you mean about WW and AA.

Reading back, Bonnie, you sure have your hands full! Stay strong and remember to look after YOU as well as the rest of the family.

Chipper, sure hope the bursitis treatment works out well. I have never had it but know how painful it can be. Glad the other tests were all good.

FBGL has been pretty standard the past month but weight has been all over the place. I was up to 182, back to 180 yesterday and then saw 177 this morning again. That seems to be my stuck point and is also the lowest I've been since I started my Victoza a year ago. It's also the weight I was when I got married again back in 1983. I guess the scale built a wall that's lasted 29 years but I intend to smash it this year!

I'm off for groceries today and will NOT even think of the Chinese Buffet! TGIF to everyone.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #3  
Madeleine

fbs 5.8 this am. DOn't know what is up with the high numbers. Will chat with my doc about it next time I am in.
Ruth, I too am stuck. (I guess thats a set point? ) just sticking at the same place. Hope to get under 170 this month, and will just work at that. Not sure where I will be for the wedding, but although that is a goal, (just to be looking better for it) I do look at weight loss and better eating as a lifelong goal, and will not be "quitting" after the wedding. THat is for sure!
Today, going into Waterloo for weigh-in and then to hot yoga for some good exercise. Hope everyone has a good Friday!
Old 03-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Well, I will do this again. Typed it before and everything froze up.

I'm excited to have found Intermittent Fasting. I did the research to see how it works and low and behold it is the way I ate until I was about 19 yrs old and also ate that way between marriages. Never ate "normal" except when I was married or dieting. The amazing thing is that I never had a weight problem eating this way. In fact, the weight just automatically went down whenever I would go back to eating this way without me ever trying to lose it. But I was told by people, doctors, dieticians etc that I "had" to eat breakfast and had to eat at least 3 meals a day.

I started eating this way again yesterday. I checked FBS before I ate at 1 pm and it was 109 mg. and checked it again today a little before 1 pm as we were leaving to go out to eat and it was 105 mg. The first time in a long time for it to be so long. I don't think it has been this low since I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. So I am very pleased with the results and I am even more excited that I can live with this way of eating behcause it is not a diet for me. It is just the way I enjoy eating. It is comfortable for me.
However, I am still doing the WWpts+ with it in order to keep things under control.

Ruthie, Mad, Chipper, Rie, Bonnie and everyone else.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #5  
Come on Spring!

ope everyone survived the horrorshow entry of the March Lion. We had snow, ice, rain, wind and fog - the whole shebang!

Did well yesterday in avoiding the Chinese Buffet and even walked the length of the shopping centre - twice. (I usually just drive the other other end.) I discovered a new shop and went in. Ended op gorging myself on some new clothes and am delighted to announce that Size 12 pants now fit! I'm hardly over the joy of fitting into a Size 14! Today I will re-home everything Size 16 and up with just a couple of garden pants kept back.

Patty, IF is the way I used to eat "back in the day" and am wondering if that would work for me now. I never actually want breakfast and just eat it because of my FBGL. Hmmm.

Gee, Mad, I've always wondered exactly where you were down there but no I know you must be near Waterloo. Nice country down there. I may do Stratford this season. Perhaps we could meet for coffee. Hope the doc can shed some light on your FBGL. Of course we are not giving up on weightloss when we reach our mini-goals. Watching what we eat is a lifestyle.

Good morning to Rie, Bonnie, Chipper and the others. Pop in and say hi!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello Friends!

Just a quick hello. I am in Grand Forks, ND, visiting my son and his family. It is bitterly cold here but I am really enjoying myself. My fbs is hovering in the low 80's to mid 90's but that is probably reflective of my eating.

Trish, I am so glad that the IF is comfortable for you. Good Luck!

Ruth, a size 12 is such a victory. I would love to join you there. Good for you.

Mad, When I return home on Monday, I am going to make an all out effort to drop ten more pounds. I am frustrated!

Sorry for missing anyone. I will try to be back later tonight.

Rie
Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #7  
Madeleine

Ruth: COngrats on the size 12! what a great nsv.
Of course I would be happy to meet you if you are in Stratford or anywhere nearby.

re IF: when is it intermittent fasting and when is it skipping meals? I think a full day of fasting is fine, but skipping meals may affect our blood glucose in other ways. hope you are testing plenty while you are trying this. We want to be safe about it.

Rie: I hope we can get our weight down.
THis is a hard day, bad weather, insomnia from the storm, and am just hunkered down, not doing much but laundry, which makes for a hungry day.
Charting everything, and planning for a supper that is not too high in points.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #8  
Re-losing found weight

S/C/G: 259/241/175

Height: 5'8"

Hi all. Hope you don't mind me pulling up a chair to visit with y'all.

I am just now re-entering the world of Type 2 diabetes. Well, that is probably a lie. I am just now finding out (last month) that somewhere in the past year my bg ZOOMED from pre-diabetic to type 2.

My first brush with diabetes was in 1997 when weight just stared falling off of my despite being constantly hungry and thirsty and having the energy level of warm saliva. I had weight loss surgery and very quickly my levels came down and stayed down until the past couple years when they were pre-diabetic and of course, now.

In the past few months I have had vision changes, memory problems, cellulitis in both legs, candida issues from Hades, headaches and a LOT of vomiting and nausea.

Went to a new GP a month ago about the cellulitis and found out my fbg was a whopping 209!! He went ahead and checked kidney and liver function and they were fine. He had me monitor my fbg for the next week while trying out 500mg metformin morning and evening. The fbg's dropped to 170's for a few days and then settled right back at 200.

I went back on Thursday as the cellulitis, while mild, has now shown up in both legs. That and the nausea and vomiting is OH SO MUCH WORSE! He tested my bs in the office after he found out that I had gone over 12 - 18 hours without eating due to the nausea and vomiting. I figured it wouldn't look too bad but lo and behold my fbg was 219! Metformin has now been upped to 1000mg am and pm.

He also put me back on Reglan for gastroparesis (something I had dealt with years ago and that was controlled with weight loss surgery). I'm happy to say that the nausea is much better (so far) but I'm just really struggling with the whole high blood sugar thing.

I woke up at 5:00 am this morning shaking like a leaf and thought that it MUST be low blood sugar and that I needed to eat. I was so sure that I didn't test it, just made a half sandwich. I went back to sleep for another hour or so and woke up with the shakes again so this time I tested and fully expected to see my bg on the low side but NO! It was 343!!! OMG! I took the metforming morning dose and waited to test after another 1.5 hours and the reading had dropped to 274.

I'm doing a lot of research to determine how I am going to do battle with this thing. I need to lose about 75lbs and I am no stranger to low carb. I am looking hard at Dr. Bernstein's books and programs but am open to any other resources I may find.

Thank you for having this thread and for anyone who reads it and responds.

Take care,
Kellye
Old 03-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #9  

Mad I don't consider myself skipping any meals. I just don't eat until I get hungry and if I want breakfast when I eat fine, if not I eat what I want within the WW pts system. Although I do plan to give my body at least a 16 hour rest of fasting and use 6 to 8 hrs daily to eat. I read a book years ago that I loved that had a 3 cycle day of 4 am to 12 noon called elimination cycle when you ate nothing but fruit, 12 noon to 8 pm was eating cycle and 8 pm to 4 am was a cycle for body to rest from eating. I really liked that way of eating, but think I like the IF way of doing it better because I think it is better for the body. I feel good eating this way... energetic, alert etc. I'm not eliminating any foods, but am working at eating healthy thus the reason for staying with WW with it. Also checking BS as I do this as I'm learning the importance of going easy on the salt, curb the carbs and drink plenty of water and green tea. After all, I'm going for the benefits of IF and need to tweak it to myself personally.

Ruthie CONGRATULATIONS for being down to size 12 pants. Evidently you are losing inches and I'm sure the scales will follow. I also agree that we are headed for our mini goals, but will not stop there. I think I need to change mine as my first mini goal is to get under 200. I don't care if it is199.5, I just want to get under it first. Then make another mini goal to shoot for.

Rie Glad you are enjoying time with your son and family. Have a safe trip back hom
Old 03-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #10  

Red You are in a good place here for support and you are doing the right thing to learn how to get FBS under control. I experienced the same thing one day when I first started taking Metformin. I thought my BS had dipped and was shocked to learn it was up. If you can afford to do it, it is also good to check BS after eating certain foods to see how it effects your bs. I still do that. Just because a nutritionist or another diabetic can eat something does not mean you can. Example, Oatmeal usually keeps most diabetic's bs in a good range. Not me. I can eat 1/4 c oatmeal measured dry and my bs does okay, but if I have a regular serving my bs skyrockets. Even surprised my doc, but he saw the numbers and as he said "the numbers don't lie". Good luck on your journey.

Mad I don't consider myself skipping any meals. I just don't eat until I get hungry and if I want breakfast when I eat fine, if not I eat what I want within the WW pts system. Although I do plan to give my body at least a 16 hour rest of fasting and use 6 to 8 hrs daily to eat. I read a book years ago that I loved that had a 3 cycle day of 4 am to 12 noon called elimination cycle when you ate nothing but fruit, 12 noon to 8 pm was eating cycle and 8 pm to 4 am was a cycle for body to rest from eating. I really liked that way of eating, but think I like the IF way of doing it better because I think it is better for the body. I feel good eating this way... energetic, alert etc. I'm not eliminating any foods, but am working at eating healthy thus the reason for staying with WW with it. Also checking BS as I do this as I'm learning the importance of going easy on the salt, curb the carbs and drink plenty of water and green tea. After all, I'm going for the benefits of IF and need to tweak it to myself personally.

Ruthie CONGRATULATIONS for being down to size 12 pants. Evidently you are losing inches and I'm sure the scales will follow. I also agree that we are headed for our mini goals, but will not stop there. I think I need to change mine as my first mini goal is to get under 200. I don't care if it is199.5, I just want to get under it first. Then make another mini goal to shoot for.

Rie Glad you are enjoying time with your son and family. Have a safe trip back home,

Bonnie, Chipper and everyone else Hope all is well with y'all.

Have a great week end.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Good morning. Survived the wedding reception and felt good in some of the new duds. I even danced - although my knee remembers it this morning. Worth it though! Managed to avoid all food and got through the night on many glasses of "Scotch" - the bartender knew to pour me diet gingerale when Scotch was ordered. It pays to be friendly with the bartender and tip him properly.

BGL is 4.2 this morning and I'm down another pound - all time low since 1983. Can you tell I'm delighted?

Big WELCOME to Red. Yes, lowering carbs and losing weight seems to be the way to go on controlling this thing. It plus Metformin and Victoza have worked for me and I now test in the "normal" range for HA1C. Sorry you have other health problems to handle as well which makes it difficult but not insurmountable. Keep on truckin' and try to pop in here as much as possible. (We now will join in singing "Getting to know you"!)

Here's a great make ahead recipe for us. It's been tested by a Beacher and is yummy. I'll make it today for lunches during the next busy week.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #12  

Ruthie - YEYFOR YOU GIRL!!!! Good job!!!

My ticker is correct again. Back down to the 218. Now to hit my WW 5% of 213 headed to first goal of 199.

On the run.

BBL
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish - When I was in my 20's and 30's I did IF without knowing that it had a name. That was just the way I ate. I lived alone. I would eat breakfast and a substantial lunch, but no dinner. I wasn't usually hungry after the big lunch and wasn't really burning many calories in the evening, and I slept better on an empty stomach. I was at my best weight during that time. It's when I added dinner into the mix that I put on all my weight and became diabetic.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #14  
Madeleine

Fbs down to 4.3 today, don't know what I did right, except overeat yesterday!
Today I am not so hungry, which is good. Had a large weekend brunchie type breakfast, so will eat light for lunch, and a good supper. Got a nice trail walk in, as the day is sunny and cold, with much less wind than yesterday. I am planning to bake a little treat to take to friends today and have some social time.
Trish: if what you are doing is working and feels right, then that is great. I worry about you! You have had some big stressors and its been hard for you to stick to any w.o.e. so I am glad if you are doing well.
Red: Welcome: hope you feel free to drop in anytime. I looked carefully into Dr. Bernstein, and its VERY expensive, and I decided if I was gonna switch from atkins I would try ww first, and am happy with that. I still pay over $50/month (compared to Bernsteins $500!) just for a fancy way to count calories and get weighed, but its working and that is enough for me. Maybe try south beach or atkins or ww first, and save the bernsteins if it doesn't work for you.
In terms of getting started, pick an eating plan and stick to that, your med and some light to moderate exercise to start with. Test test test, fasting, before and after meals and before bed. Keep a food diary so you can learn what makes you spike. I am doing ww much differently than I did in the first few weeks after my diagnosis, much lower grains and more veggies now.
Rie: lets get that 10 pounds off together. I am looking forward to the weight dropping, let me say!

Hello to everyone else, hope you are enjoying your weekend.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmn11 View Post
Trish - When I was in my 20's and 30's I did IF without knowing that it had a name. That was just the way I ate. I lived alone. I would eat breakfast and a substantial lunch, but no dinner. I wasn't usually hungry after the big lunch and wasn't really burning many calories in the evening, and I slept better on an empty stomach. I was at my best weight during that time. It's when I added dinner into the mix that I put on all my weight and became diabetic.
You know what was crazy when I was a teenager and ate this way? I hated dinner dates. I remember doubling dating with my sister and we were dating guys who were best friends. We were going to an expensive restaurant and my sister said to me "get a steak or whatever you want... they can afford to pay for it". I didn't want anything and I felt sick at my stomach because I felt like I was being "forced to eat". I realize now that it was after 7 pm and I never ate past 5:30 pm so it was outside my "eating window". Until now, I often wondered if it was because I was nervous eating out on a date, but I had many dates where I either ate with friends or boy friends. Now that I've researched IF, I think I just wasn't used to eating that late and I was literally sick. I also remember cooking a good ole Southern fried chicken dinner one night for my sisters and me because my parents were going out. We wouldn't be able to eat until around 7ish. I didn't eat one bite of it and fried chicken was my favorite food, but by the time we ate my hunger and desire for food had left me so I didn't eat.

Oh where did I lose the ability to know those eating signals? If I had kept them, I would never have had a weight problem. What a shame that now I can eat just because the food is there whether I'm hungry or not. Oh how I hope I can get those old healthy eating habits back.
Closed Thread