Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/134/127

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Zoloft and Weight Gain

I've been struggling with some issues lately and at my most recent annual I sort of had a breakdown. My doctor prescribed Zoloft, but a lot of my issues revolve around fear of gaining weight. I'm concerned if I take the medication I will gain weight. Frankly if I start to gain, I won't take regardless of how much I cry. This is where my issues stem from in addition to my other life stressors that I have going on right now which are pretty major.

I've not really been on this type of medication before, does anyone have any advice?
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #2  
It is what it is...

I took Zoloft for 10 years and didn't gain weight ( I was already heavy ) plus if I followed plan and exercised I had no problem losing weight on it. You will be fine...get yourself back together emotionally and you will be able to work on the body side of things...

Carri
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #3  
Warrior Princess

I have never gained weight from any SSRI.

I think for some people they don't eat much when depressed and once they start to feel happy they eat more, start putting on weight, and attribute it to the medication.

Truthfully, I feel that meds can only make you gain minimal pounds and the rest is what you're eating. End of story.

Watch your food intake and exercise and you should be fine. More important to take care of your psychological needs.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #4  

Thank you both for taking the time to respond to me. A lot of what I'm dealing with is related to body image issues I've had all my life with some additional life stressors thrown in. I'm struggling to hold it together most days. Picked up my meds today.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #5  
It is what it is...

Good luck. I can tell you that I liked Zoloft a lot, it really did make me feel good...the only reason I got off of it was for the sexual side effects ( TMI I know ) ...didn't have any interest and my dh did not care for that ...so I was put on Lexapro for a while but wasn't quite cutting it so now I am on Paxil ...wow, typing that out seems like a lot of meds, haha ....but I can truly say I felt the best on the Zoloft.
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I was on Zoloft for maybe like 10 years and stopped 2 years ago. Everyone's reaction is different to it so take what I say with a grain of salt.

cons:

I gained 80 lbs. Was this the zoloft or habits I had - who knows?

My cholesterol shot up 100 points. This WAS attributed to zoloft and can be a known side effect. It dropped as soon as I got off it.

I had the lack of interest in sex issues, and I have read they can continue once you stop the drug too. (I still have that problem)

pros:

It really made me feel better.

You don't have to be on Zoloft forever for you to benefit from it, what I think it does is really help you learn control over your emotions a bit more. Do I still get depressed from time to time -sure. I'm much better physically without it though than with it.

You do have an advantage though knowing what the possible side effects are in advance and can watch for them, so maybe you'll be ok.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #7  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Everyone is going to react differently. You might not gain any. There's always a risk when you take meds like that.
My best friend was on it for years and she gained 80-100lbs on it. However, that doesn't mean you're going to.

Last edited by tessendicott; 03-01-2012 at 11:09 PM.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<Truthfully, I feel that meds can only make you gain minimal pounds and the rest is what you're eating. End of story. >>

I agree. The meds only make you gain if they affect your appetite and you eat accordingly. If you stick to your plan, you shouldn't gain. I've been on and off an antidepressant for many years, and I actually find it makes me less hungry, if anything. It hasn't ever affected my weight.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #9  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

I've been on Zoloft for years and it has never affected my weight. It's a wonderful med and for me, the happier I am, the more in control I am in every area of my life-especially food wise.
I'm sure every person is different, but I don't know many people on SSRI's that have gained weight because of them. The worst side effect I have is lack of sex drive and I tend to feel more tired during the day. But, it's soooo worth it. I feel happy again.
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #10  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I'm currently on zoloft and it hasn't had any effect on my weight. I often react with weight gain to medications, but this hasn't had any impact at all.

One word of warning, don't ever just stop taking it. Definitely talk to your doctor about how to wean yourself off (I was out of it for a week or so and had some not so fun symptoms).
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #11  

Default Zoloft Made Me Gain (I think)

I've been on 200mg Zoloft to treat OCD for 1 1/2 years now. I gained approximately 50 pounds. Previous to Zoloft, I was very regimented in my eating (no eating after 7pm, healthy breakfasts/lunches) and worked out 5 to 6 days a week.

I recently weaned myself off the medication because I feel terrible about my weight. I gained approximately 40 pounds from July 2011 to Jan 2012. My mother takes 100mg of Zoloft and hasn't had any weight gain side effects.

Everyone's body reacts differently. When my anxiety is worse, my appetite is suppressed which also aids in weight loss.

I'm going to see a psychiatrist in a few weeks to try to be understand my weight gain.

Good Luck!!
rachmul18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

How do you feel without it? Grats on weaning yourself off, for that is no small feat. (I had brain zaps yippee)

Maybe an alternative would be a smaller dose. I'm off it now, but at one point I was on 50mg and that did the job.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #13  

Smile

I was very agitated when I first started weaning myself off of it. I've also been crying a lot lately. I'm going to see a psychiatrist to prescribe either a smaller dosage or a different medication.

I sometimes felt like a zombie on Zoloft and I think my dosage may be incorrect.
rachmul18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/see signature/140

Height: 5 foot 5

I was on paxil years ago and imeediately gained 40 lbs...it was awful. My metabolism had come to a complete halt and I wasn't able to lose weight until I took myself off the med (slowly weaned myself off). I heard that prozac and Welbutrin are two drugs that are not know to cause weight gain so that is what I asked for when I went to the doctor..welbutrin takes a while to work though. I really think it depends on the person, I know for me personally SSRI's mean weight gain.....its just how my body responds.
Zumbachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #15  

So it's been about a month now, and honestly I feel so much better mentally. Not crying every day, not hating myself so much. I still struggle to see the weight loss, and though I know logically I am smaller and people say things to confirm this I don't really see it, so I don't have the confidence that should have come along with what I feel should have been a transformation.

I guess my expectations were off.

Regardless, since starting the medication, I have not gained weight and have in fact lost a little less than 5 lbs. making my 5lbs from goal. I do find myself less motivated to exercise which I need to work on as I was previously using it as a mood leveler and now I don't need it for that.