PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #1  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

Default Anyone TTC?

Is anyone dieting and TTC at the same time? I'm currently on a clomid cycle and decided to start trying to lose at the same time. Last cycle I actually ovulated and now I'm starting to think how hard ( not hard more like more uncomfy than normal) a pregnancy would be this heavy. I'm 33 and not going to put off TTC any longer because of my weight.. Anyone else out there? My RE said it's fine to diet and TTC at the same time so thats not the issue..I have weight loss buddies and TTC buddies would be nice to have some that are doing both.
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #2  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

I agree that you should continue to diet through your treatments, the lower your weight is the better chance you have, but you ovulated last month, so that is great for you girly! Im a little jealous

I have been TTC for several years. I am 31 with PCOS. I took metformin for 3 years and it didn´t help, just made me sick. Did a few rounds of clomid and had 2 failed IVF´s, the last one was at Christmas. The hubby deployed to Afganistan in January and will be home in July, so I am taking this as my opportunity to lose weight. My RE advised for my height 5- 4.5 that I should weigh no more than 135, but it is SOOO hard to control your weight with PCOS. During my last IVF I gained 25 pounds from the hormones...good gosh.
Last cycle I had only 2 eggs, so hopefully losing 30lbs will help kick it in gear to get a few more.

good luck!
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #3  
Day 1 back on plan...

S/C/G: 244/tickers/175

Have you ever tried femara? I'm thinking about trying it next cycle if you don't get PG... Lots of women have ovulated on it when they didn't respond to clomid.. thanks for the reply
Losing4another is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #4  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

No, I have never heard of it. I will bring it up to my RE. Thanks for the tip. I wish you luck with your cycle!!
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Nope. But done it before, so happy to be supportive.

I was on Metformin for a year to help regulate cycles. It got my to 60 day cycles. I was thinking about adding clomid but never did -- I was pregnant on that day!

So hang in there.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 252.9/245.4/145

Height: 5'2

I am dieting and ttc. I just posted a response on another similar topic, so I'll copy and paste it below..it's kinda long! I didn't address the issue of being pregnant at a higher weight. I weighed in at 230 at my 8 week appointment, and gained under 30 lbs during my pregnancy. (I was scared to death that I would miscarry again, and so was my doctor, so I was pretty much put on house rest. I could move about the house, but she didn't want me doing much at all for the first part of my pregnancy.) It really wasn't very difficult at all. I gave birth late in the summer, and was not too uncomfortable, and it was in the 100's! It was much easier than I had anticipated. Thank God! I have skinny friends who complained and whined about how uncomfortable they were the entire time! Below is my response to the other post:

I am so sorry for all you have been through. I too have PCOS, and know first hand how completely frustrating it can be.

At the time I started seeing my current ob/gyn, I weighed 235 and was 35 years old. I was then diagnosed with insulin resistant PCOS. I had multiple tests done to find out why I was unable to get pregnant. I ended up having surgery to remove cysts, and thereafter had three miscarriages. When they finally did the testing to find out why I was miscarrying, it was discovered that I had low progesterone and MTHFR (a clotting disorder). To treat the low progesterone, I just had to take progesterone supplements post ovulation until my next cycle started. To treat the strain of MTHFR I have, all I have to do it take one baby aspirin daily! Simple fix, but without these two drugs, I would miscarry.

My doctor put me on Clomid. I did 4 rounds of Clomid and HATED the side effects! I was a crazed lunatic...it made me feel so angry that I didn't even like myself while I was on it....I wanted to get away from myself just as much as my husband wanted to get away from me!

I decided to take a bit of a break and lost 15 lbs on a low carb diet. During that time, I did my research and found that a breast cancer treatment drug, called Femara, was being used experimentally as a fertility drug because many of the women on it for cancer treatment ended up getting pregnant. I made an appointment to discuss it with my doctor and she was familiar with it, and agreed to let me try it.

My first cycle on Femara was great! No side effects whatsoever! It was fabulous! Even better, I got pregnant my first cycle of Femara and my son is now 18 months old.

From the beginning, my doctor made it clear to me that I 'should' lose weight, but that I did not have to lose weight to have a baby. She said that just because someone is overweight, it does not mean that they should not be able to have a child, it is just sometimes more difficult to get pregnant.

I think that the combination of the Metformin I was on for PCOS, the progesterone supplements, the baby aspirin, and losing 15 lbs enabled me to get pregnant. You don't have to be your goal weight to get pregnant. As in my case, sometimes you just have to lose some weight and it helps!

I am telling you my story just so you know that there is hope. It took 8 years for me to have my son. Soon I will turn 40 and am currently trying to have another child. I started Femara this month...and hope to have positive results again.

Best of luck to you. This is such an emotional roller coaster to be on. It makes it so hard to sit back and watch everybody you know get pregnant...it's just maddening!

If I am unable to get pregnant soon, my husband and I have talked about adoption. I have adopted family members and love them just as much as if they were blood relatives. To me, they are no different. Adoption is always an option.

Best of luck to you on your journey.
Jacks Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I wanted to add - I think Femara is underused in the PCOS community, and progesterone isn't tested for enough. We conceived and kept this little one through a combo of Femara (for ovulation) and metformin plus progesterone support (to prevent miscarriage). Low progesterone is extremely, extremely common in people with PCOS.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252.9/245.4/145

Height: 5'2

mandalinn82 - I TOTALLY agree with you!

Congrats on your pregnancy! Wishing you a healthy pregnancy and healthy baby boy!
Jacks Big Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #9  
~Kelly~

S/C/G: 229.4/189.4/150

Height: 5'5

I have been FTC for 11 years! I think this time next year i will be down to a healthy weight and I will do the meds again but think I will ask about femara this time. I don't ovulate or even have periods. My last cycle was years ago even though I have taken provera.
kmc1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #10  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

I just want to wish you TTC'ers well in your journeys 

Also, Soulcystersdotcom is very busy on the TTC boards
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsH2132012 View Post
I just want to wish you TTC'ers well in your journeys 

Also, Soulcystersdotcom is very busy on the TTC boards
Is that board still being run by Kat?
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #12  
Sam-I-Am

S/C/G: 324/see ticker/170

Height: 5'8

I am trying to lose weight and conceive at the same time. i have decided to lose 50 pounds before seeking fertility treatment, in hopes that it will kick start my ovulation again. i once lost 80 pounds and got pregnant, but miscarried soon after. while that was very discouraging, i get hope from the fact that we conceived at all. i am hoping we wont have to go through all of the fertility treatments, i dont know how much of it i could take. we have considered adoption, and if we dont conceive within 5 years we will likely go that route. i just want the experience of pregnancy so badly. it would break my heart if i didnt have that chance
samcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #13  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Yes 
MrsH2132012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:55 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 299/268/145

Height: 5'4

We've been trying to concieve #2 for a year and my last period was Sept 2011. I am hoping if I can lose weight it will improve our chances. I love my two year old son to bits but we want him to have a sibling.
Kierra is offline   Reply With Quote