Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Pencil test: pass or fail?

Has anyone been brave enough to take the dreaded "pencil test" for your glutes to see if they sag or not?

I took it six months ago before I started weight training via NROL4W and sadly, it didn't fall to the ground. I failed miserably. I recently retook the test as I'm in stage 6 of the program and wanted to see if I'd made any progress. This time, the pencil fell right to the ground! I passed with flying colors.

Obviously, squatting and lunging with weights does really work, lol.

Last edited by fitmom; 02-28-2012 at 10:45 AM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

What's the pencil test?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

lol, I thought you were talking about the boob version of that test, which I failed when my boobs were perky 15 yo 34dds.

Running: the idea is that you stick a pencil under your boob--or butt, apparently--and if the pencil stays in place you lose, and if it falls down you win. It's a droopiness test.

Congrats fitmom on the glutasticness! I'm going to have to stand up and try it any minute now...
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #4  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
lol, I thought you were talking about the boob version of that test, which I failed when my boobs were perky 15 yo 34dds.

Running: the idea is that you stick a pencil under your boob--or butt, apparently--and if the pencil stays in place you lose, and if it falls down you win. It's a droopiness test.

Congrats fitmom on the glutasticness! I'm going to have to stand up and try it any minute now...
ok, thanks! Um, yeah... I definitely fail the boob one!!!! (as a 28HH/J) But I think I'd probably pass the butt one.. however, I don't think I should try it at work.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6

Ooo, I never tried the boob one but at 34B I'd probably pass. Although I've had two kiddies so you never know.

Yeah, I was talking about the test to assess the firmness of your glutes.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #6  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Congrats!

I pass the pencil test too!

My poor boobs don't, lol.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I think I could store a whole 36 pack of pencils under my breasts and they wouldn't fall down. And it would have been that way at 18 too (I'm 42). Ok... Off to go do the pencil test. Thank goodness there's no paparazzi! Hope DH doesn't walk in and laugh at me! (not sure his skinny butt would pass the test. He's doing some weights too, but not as often). We weigh the same now but he's 6 inches taller than me!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #8  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Oh, me too thinking it was the boob test....honey, I can grab and hold a 164 Crayola Crayons box under my boob. The glutes? Never thought about it but I don't think I could grab a pencil beneath them. Perhaps between them? LOL
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #9  
Melissa

This is providing me a good laugh at least.

So... How does this test work exactly? Of course DH walks in on me when I have my pants down, fortunately he thought I was just finishing using the toilet and didn't see how stupid I looked with a pencil under my butt .

Seems it depends on how I stand determines if the pencil drops or not... But I got a good look at my butt in the mirror. Not so pretty.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #10  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I've always had weirdly toned back-of-legs, lol.. so I don't think this would have worked at my highest weight either.. I will try it though, later.. lol.

As for boobs, thats a no. I'm at a 36 DD right now.. The chest fly's are working, but not that fast!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #11  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
This is providing me a good laugh at least.

So... How does this test work exactly? Of course DH walks in on me when I have my pants down, fortunately he thought I was just finishing using the toilet and didn't see how stupid I looked with a pencil under my butt .

Seems it depends on how I stand determines if the pencil drops or not... But I got a good look at my butt in the mirror. Not so pretty.
I tried it last night and am the same way. If I stand up straight it drops but if I lean my leg back it stays (but wouldn't that be the same for everyone? ).

Oh man, and for the boob one... well, I'm constantly sticking important things in my bra like my money and keys so God only knows what I'd actually be able to stick underneath my breasts and still hold up!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #12  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Oh man, and for the boob one... well, I'm constantly sticking important things in my bra like my money and keys so God only knows what I'd actually be able to stick underneath my breasts and still hold up!
Lol! I'm glad to not be alone on this one. I keep all kinds of stuff in my bra and it always shocks people when I magically pull my phone or credit card out. I listen to audiobooks pretty constantly and so I usually have an mp3 player in my bra, among other things.

ETA: I tend to wear skirts and dresses rather than pants and consequently almost never have pockets. This is why I use my bra for storage!

Last edited by DietVet; 02-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #13  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
Lol! I'm glad to not be alone on this one. I keep all kinds of stuff in my bra and it always shocks people when I magically pull my phone or credit card out. I listen to audiobooks pretty constantly and so I usually have an mp3 player in my bra, among other things.

ETA: I tend to wear skirts and dresses rather than pants and consequently almost never have pockets. This is why I use my bra for storage!
I have never, ever used my bra for storage. Not sure why. Maybe because I got grossed out as a kid with my grandma pulling out a kleenex for me to use from her bra. Just seemed so wrong, but now that I think about it it's not, but as a kid it was like "ew!"
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #14  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

My butt is flat. I pass the test but only because there is no distinction between my butt and thigh.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #15  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I thought the boob pencil test too! I didn't know there was a butt one.

I pass both. Small-ish boobs. NOT small-ish butt, but the fat I have there is SOLID so no sagging.

I remember this glute test circulating a while ago (the original link I bookmarked doesn't work any more, but it looks like this was copied from it). I failed miserably at that one. Someone on a New Rules of Lifting for Women forum mentioned that she had failed that test, too - she had been working out and building good strength but apparently not activating her glutes.
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote