General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-25-2012, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Default The dreaded UTI, Yeast Cycle...

UG! I am getting sick of this!

It's about every 6 months on average that I have been getting UTI's and then of course a yeast infection follows. (though I try to eat lots of probotics).

I never used to get them, but in the last 3 years it's been a pattern. Probably due to sexual activity for the most part..but I keep hydrated, and have been taking cranberry pills....pretty consistently...although this last one I had was definitely due to my lack of attention to detail as I was drinking and got dehydrated...not a good mix. (however it's not the first time I've done that and I haven't gotten UTIs before)

My mom thinks that maybe this has to do with Endimitriosis..where tissue grows on your organs...she thinks maybe tissue has grown on my bladder making it hard for me to pee to the last drop..So I the smart thing to do is go to the doctor......ug.

Anybody else have patterns like this? Diagnosis? Anything to alleviate symptoms of yeast infections? (they usually go away on their own). The yeast infection has a tendency to come and go with any discomfort..which is weird.

Sometimes being a chick is a PAIN IN THE ***!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #2  
Stay with me

S/C/G: 240/235/120

Height: 5'3"

Without getting too personal, are you guys showering before sex? My bf and I always make sure that we are clean(or at least baby wiped down) before sex. This makes sure that both of us smell sweet and also for me that he is bacteria free. Maybe try using condoms? That way there isn't any of his bacteria that could get in there. Remember that it is an infection, and in order to have an infection there has to be bacteria. I'm assuming that you have taken antibiotics for the infection, and I know my grandmother said whenever she had antibiotics she almost always got a yeast infection. Using a feminine wash like Summer's Eve or the walmart version can help remove odor causing bacteria, and before you are intimate you may want to have him wash himself with it too. Try to pee after you have sex so if there is bacteria there some of it can get washed away. When in doubt go to the gyno.
rubyred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #3  
Stay with me

S/C/G: 240/235/120

Height: 5'3"

I don't know what you use to cure the yeast infection, but the best remedy I know is a large clove of garlic dipped into PLAIN yogurt, works in like 2 days! Cheap and it works wonderfully! Downside is, you may smell like garlic for a little while!
rubyred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #4  
Flab be gone

S/C/G: goal weight 60kgs

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Have'nt heard that one before...but the yogurt remedy is well known.

You could always tell DH that theres been a vampire hanging round lately and you wanted to take precautions !!!! :0
fiona46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #5  

Thanks guys. We do try to keep clean before sex, he usually cleans up with wipes and I will too...and I always pee afterwards. I remember a couple times though too that I had used public pools before UTIs too..but also sex around that time so it's hard to pinpoint what and when.

As far as the home remedies I have read some stuff on that but I don't know if I can bring myself to putting garlic in my crotch LOL.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #6  
Warrior Princess

You have to pee immediately before and after sex and then shower, do not just wipe and go to sleep. Cranberry pills everyday, 2x a day. You'll never get another again.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Clean up your diet -- too much sugar, starches -- that stuff feeds yeast.

See doc. Get the strong med creams or a pill for the yeast -- whichever is appropriate in your case. (I go with the diflucan for my own needs). He also needs to go. Although we get it more with our" indoor plumbing" rather than men who have "outdoor plumbing," if he does have it too you don't need to keep passing back and forth. YKWIM?

But ask doc to run check for diabetes or prediabetes. A yeast infection happens to all once in a while, but those with blood sugar issues get them a whole lot more.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/type-2...nfections.aspx

HTH!
A

Last edited by astrophe; 02-26-2012 at 08:43 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #8  

Yeah I only get yeast infections when I am taking antibiotics. My mom says that happens a lot because the meds kill the good bacteria that help ward off yeast infections. I try to eat as many probotics as I can but I guess it's not enough...well I am off to the doc to find out...
Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #9  

And the doc says...................

You have both!

BOOO! I got an appointment with an NP urologist next Monday. Maybe some more answers...or a waste of money.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #10  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

As someone who used to get UTI's very regularly, here are my recommendations.

-Drink white tea. Green tea didn't help me, but white tea did.
-Use a shower head that has the hose extension so you can wash "down there" every day. Staying super clean down there is a must for me.
-Avoid coffee, it irritates the bladder. So can alcohol.
-Make sure you are fully voiding your bladder each time you urinate. Give it that extra squeeze because urine that's left in your urethra can grow bacteria.
-If I feel something coming on I will drink several cups of white tea a day, and I take garlic pills (natural antibiotic) and high dose vitamin C (high acidity makes the bladder less hospitable to bacteria). This often can stop a UTI in its tracks.
-Also, look into a product called d-mannose. It's a type of sugar that doesn't affect blood sugar, it goes right through you and into your bladder. Bacteria like it and will detach from your bladder wall and attach themselves to the sugar, and then will be swept out when you urinate. It works very well and you can even use it for maintenance to prevent UTI's.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #11  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

Sounds like me almost exactly. I will get UTI's randomly every couple months and they are BAD, leaving me actually sitting on the toilet for hours without leaving. Nothing I do stops them from coming, I pee before and after intercourse, drink tons of water, take cranberry pills and so on. My doctor has no idea how to stop it either.

However I might be able to help you with the yeast infections, because I to get those incredibly easy! Are you on the birth control pill? These pills actually make you more susceptible to getting yeast infections, talk to your doctor or gyno about switching to a pill that contains little to no estrogen as this is what allows to yeast to grow. You could also look into a non-hormonal type of birth control like an IUD, I did and am getting one this week. If that is a little to invasive for you then go to the store and buy some acidophilus supplements. Acidophilus promotes a healthy amount of bacteria in your intestine's and vagina, its the same thing that is found in pro biotic yogurt. There are tons of benefits to taking these supplements, do some research if your interested.

Anyway, back to the point I was trying to make, I started taking this in June of last year due to being fed up with getting these infections over and over. I am pleased to say that after taking this supplement I have gotten 1 yeast infection in about 8 months and it was a minor one, this is SO much better then before when I was getting 1 every 2-3 months. It really helped me! Do your research though, not all the supplements at the stores are created equal. I use Jamieson Acidophiles with 1 billion active cells and take it once a day.

If you have any questions, Ill check back Good luck!
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #12  

Thanks guys, I feel a little better that I am not alone!

I am not familiar with white tea, what brand do you use?

I am on the Implanon, which is prostegen only, so I don't think that is what is doing it. I am pretty sure it's because of the antibiotic because that's the only time I get yeast infections.

I have tried to up the dose on vitamin C and cranberry pills when I feel I need an extra boost, but I haven't heard of the d-mannose!

As far as peeing it all out I do try! Sometimes I wonder if my bladder doesn't let me or what.

I keep clean down there, and change my undies too. It is just wierd how I never used to get them...and now it's like every 6 months or less! boo!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #13  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I like Republic of Tea White Tea, but pretty much any white tea probably would be fine.

Google d-mannose if you get a chance, it's a well known home remedy for UTI's and can be taken indefinitely to help ward them off.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

Urinating before sex, in addition to after, is key. I hate UTIs... just had one last week actually . Good luck.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM   #15  

I researched that D-mannose stuff and it sounds good. Only problem is I can't find it anywhere! I went to Walgreens, GNC, and Vitamin World! I may have to order it, but why isn't it at the stores if it is such a good suppliment?