Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #1  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I have no idea what to wear.

So I've lost 50lbs now and I have no idea what to wear. I posted a pic up there in the mini goals area and the comments I have were related to how baggy my shirt is. And man, I never realized how right they are until I saw it.

Unfortunately I have no clue how to dress nicely. You'd think at 42 I'd have an idea, but I've been wearing big baggy stuff for so long that I'm lost. I can do weekends and stuff with jeans and a tee, but I don't have much of a clue about anywhere else.

I'm a software developer so our office is laid back with a jeans dress code - but how do you dress that up without looking sloppy - which I think I do at this point. I also don't want to blow out the bank at this point as I plan on losing more.

Anyone have any good sites or advice about improving style after weight loss?
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

When I was losing I bought most of my clothes at Goodwill, Salvation Army or Consignment Shops.
Blazers look good with jeans. I bought a blazer at Savers for $4.00. All wool and it was brand new.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-26-2012 at 08:53 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #3  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

An easy upgrade would be trouser jeans. I'm really into fitted cardigans lately, too. I just put them over a cheap scoopneck tshirt. I've bought the shirts at Old Navy and Penney's, and Penney's has cardigans on sale for $12 and tshirts for $5 til the end of the month.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5

start watching what not to wear. I've been watching it for a couple weeks and suddenly I'm looking at clothes in magazine articles and knowing why it works.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Firstly, congrats on the loss! At 50 pounds down, certainly your clothing is loose!

I would suggest going to an inexpensive store (here in NJ we have Kmart, Target, Walmart) and a reasonable priced store when there is a good sale is Kohls. You could buy a few key pieces that will carry you over during the next 30 pounds perhaps. Some $10 slacks that will work for the office (not legging...just elastic waist slacks) and some basic short sleeve/long sleeve shirts of the same price in solid colors. Fortunately for you, layering is in style right now. You can be terribly fashionable with a few basics, then use layering pieces like cardis, scarves, ponchos, vests, crop shirts with longer shirts beneath (super popular you'll see when you go to the stores).

You should also revisit your own closet/dressers. Might you have smaller clothing hidden in there? Do you sew at all and can alter some of your clothes?
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

First off, congrats on the weight loss!!! You look so happy in that picture, I love it!

I was you. At my highest I didn't dress myself well at all. Just baggy clothes, pants, t-shirts and hoodies, that was about it! I started my blog to work on that and it's help me to understand my body better, figure out what works for me etc.

My first recommendation. Find a bra that fits well. I have a post on buying bras while losing weight but my absolute biggest recommendation is make sure that your underbust (measured tightly)= your band size. Otherwise, you're not going to be getting the support you need. After that keep increasing your cup size until you find a bra that has a center gore flat against your sternum, your breasts are fully encloses by the cups and you don't have any quadraboob.

The reason bras are so important is because they can help prevent back pain, but also it lifts your breasts off of your stomach and elogates your torso.

As for clothes. Take your measurements! Learn your proportions and go from there. It's hard for me to see from your picture what type of body you have because the shirt is so baggy but typically the advice is to learn to accentuate the smallest parts of your body. My underbust is smaller than my waist so I try to find clothes that are fitted in my underbust rather than my natural waist or lower.

Also, start looking around and see what appeals to you. I've found that dresses work wonderfully on me. I have a very soft, flabby belly and pants often dig into that and give me a muffin top either that or they fall down because they're too baggy. However, dresses don't do that so they're more flattering. Plus, I love the vintage look, especially 1950's dresses, flared skirts stuff like that so it's been fun for me to look at those too.

Mostly, be honest with yourself. What are your best features and which ones would you rather hide more? Then go from there. IF you have any more specific questions feel free to come back here and ask!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Congrats on your loss! I saw your pictures and you look wonderful. Everyone is right about the baggy clohtes. I am a nanny and wear sweat pants and tshirts for work. They were baggy and the sweats were falling down. I bought some that fit and people started asking me how much weight I had lost since the week before. It really does make a difference. Let us know what you found to wear!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/161.9/160

Height: 5' 8"

I think a nice, colorful, (and maybe with a print), blouce, with a nice semi-fitted blazer or jacket, really compliments us after a weight loss. Make sure the jacket length compliments your body type. Trouser jeans are a good suggestion, casual but better. Like they say on What Not To Wear, you have to try on clothes to the point of exhaustion, and you'll see what works for you by trial and error. Get rid of the baggy clothes - they are not our friends!
fredlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #9  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

Thanks for the advice all. I spent the weekend trying on like 50 bras and finally came home with 2. Better than not coming home with nothing I guess!

I'm going to head to our Shopko here tomorrow and look over their clearance rack for some more fitted stuff.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote