Old 01-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/215/140

Height: 6'0

Default Well... now I'm freaking out...

I don't know why it's never occurred to me before;
but I just now came to the realization that the body image I have in mind is an impossibility because I am bound to have extra skin when I do indeed loose my weight.

I ran across a topic here in the forms that brought the idea to my attention and I simply freaked out.

I spent hours looking up the condition and ways to fix it... but... there doesn't really seem to be much to be done.

Considering my body type and height, I can't see it being excessive, but it scares me to think that I have done enough damage to my skin then there is a possibility that I can't get it tattooed.
Which, is an absolutely devastating idea.

I know that sounds silly, but, ever since I was a child I've been taught that the art of tattooing is an honer and that has a lot to do with my personal depiction of beauty.
There are pieces that are spread across my family that I possibly cannot get done because I damaged my skin.

I know that building muscle will help, but what if that's not enough?

I probably sound really silly right now, but, I'm actually worried about this to the point that it's kind of keeping me awake.
I guess I'll find out in time... Sorry to for the trouble, I just needed to write this down and try to get it out of my head.
Zombie latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 325/325/190

Height: 5'9"

Plastis surgery is always a possibility. Very expensive, like buying a car or a house -- but depends on how important that type of thing is to you. I also think there are some places that just won't change that much. Wrists, feet, shoulder blades, chest, neck and head.

Tattoos aren't a big part of my family, but I've always told myself that I'd get a tattoo when I've lost all the weight. It will say, "I've climbed the tree to see the world." Meaningful because the weight holds me back in a lot of ways. For instance: I probably will never travel over seas unless I lose the weight. Or go on my honeymoon that's a year late.
alisonlerae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 225/215/140

Height: 6'0

I really just guess I'll have to wait and see. I'm wont get plastic surgery because I'm just against the idea entirely, well, for myself at least. What I'm going to do is moisturize as much as physically possible during the time of my weight loss. That way, with any hope, I will regain it's elasticity and lighten some of the marking.

The one I'm really worried about is a side tattoo, I donno how much damage there will be there because I can only build so much muscle in my back, sides, and tummy.

Tattooing has ALWAYS been a high priority in my family, when it occurred to my that I may not be able to fix it I kinda spazzed out.

And, you shouldn't keep yourself from experiencing things in life because of the weight factor. In fact, it might do you a bit of good to get out there and keep busy so long as you keep a tab on your intake you should be dandy.
Zombie latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I can understand you freaking out, I would too if I were in a similar position. I think it's a good plan to keep moisteruzing. Mayeb also talk to your doc and ask him/her what you could best do?

You look pretty young still, so you could be quite lucky and not really have damaged skin you know!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/130

Height: 5'9" Age: 19

You're very young, and not terribly overweight for your height. I don't think you have too much to worry about, my dear. But if it'll put your mind at ease, it might be a good idea to begin using cocoa and shea moisturizer. It's made a huge difference for me. Time has made the greatest difference, though. Your skin will gradually tighten up on its own. (:
Ramra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #6  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I agree with Ramra...You look young and for your height, your not that overweight, even at your highest. Alot of factors play into how our skin snaps back. Age, how long you've been overweight, how much you lose, and good old fashion genetics...I wouldn't worry about it. Even if your skin isn't perfect, your still doing your body a huge favor.

I have tat's on both of my shoulder blades. Both were done near or at my highest weight and there is no extra skin there .

But again don't worry about it. Your skin will do what its going to do and if its bothering you that much then start working on strength training to fill the areas out with muscle

Good luck
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

If it happens deal with it then, worrying about it now is only going to add extra pressure when you really don't need it. Besides as everybody said you don't really look overweight. Stay in the present
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

It's mostly about genetics. So, don't beat yourself up over this. Case in point, pregnancy can be damaging to the skin because it stretches so quickly. Some women get a lot of marks and loose skin. Some women have no damage at all. It's quite possible you'll have no problems at all.

I'm 34 and was 230 at my highest. My lowest weight was 125. I don't have loose skin and almost all my stretch marks are from puberty and very faded. I have one stretch mark from pregnancy and it's tiny. My back and sides aren't affected at all. Also, the tattoos I had from before I gained still look the same. So...try not to worry so much. You may have nothing to worry about.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

Losing slowly will help because it gives your skin time to adjust. I've been worried about this, too. Hang in there! :-)
SensualSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #10  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Realistically, I'd be surprised if you'll have much of a problem with loose skin. You look young, you don't have that much to lose and I'm guessing you've never had a pregnancy?

Personally, I had roughly the same starting weight as you BUT I'm half a foot shorter than you, I HAVE had a pregnancy, and gained my weight really quickly to add to the fun. Even after all that my skin isn't too bad. I do have loose skin on my breasts/lower midsection but it's nothing that couldn't be covered up with a well-fitting bikini. As for tattooing, well, my breasts and lower midsection wouldn't be good places to tattoo because of the loose skin but beyond that everywhere else would be fine if I chose to.

Slow weight loss, weight lifting, lots of water may help but in reality I don't think you're going to have much of a problem or even if you do it'll just be in concentrated areas and you can always tattoo your other parts.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #11  
mya

Height: 5'4"

From what I've read the skin should keep shrinking after you hit maintenance, so I guess the best thing is to keep moisturizing and working on your muscles and let your body do the rest.
Personally I plan to get a tattoo on my love handles and lower belly, covering my stretch marks. It'll be a reward to myself for reaching my goal weight and a pretty big incentive to staying there, since that's such a trouble area and I wouldn't want to deform it.
mya is offline   Reply With Quote