Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/249.6/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Gym Membership vs Home Gym?

I really want to start working out more and was wondering what your experiences are with gym memberships vs home gyms. What has worked better for you, do you like going to the gym better or working out at home? Pros... Cons.... any input would be appreciated!!!

Starting weight 285lbs on 1/18/12
Mini goal #1 Lose 25lbs Achieved 2/17/12
Skinny Mini Goal #1 Hit 1/4 of total Goal weight 27.5lbs Achieved 2/22/12
Mini goal #2 Lose 25lbs (for a total of 50)
Skinny Mini Goal #2 Hit 1/2 of total Goal weight 55lbs
Mini Goal #3 Lose 25lbs (for a total of 75)
Skinny Mini Goal #3 Hit 3/4 of total Goal weight 77.5lbs
Mini Goal #4 Lose 25lbs (for a total of 100)
Overall weight goal is to lose 110lbs... putting me at 175 (then we will see from there)
~Julie~

One for every 5LBS lost
suzukigurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #2  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Gym, hands down!

I couldn't possibly do what I do at the gym, at home. I like to switch it up a lot and keep my body guessing. I feel like my muscles get complacent if I keep doing the same old things day after day after day. For example. I started out just doing the elliptical and weights. Now I do the stair machine, weights, sprints, bike. I'll probably get sick of that routine and get back on the elliptical or treadmill on an incline. If I bought equipment at home I wouldn't have any options if I got tired of using it, kwim?

Plus... I lift heavy weights and having a weight rack with those big things wouldn't be practical in any part of my tiny apartment.

And I can't make any weather excuses. So what if it's hot/raining/hailing etc... the gym is always the right temperature .
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I work much harder when at a gym then when at home. At home, all I have to do is hop off the machine and go get something to eat and laze on the couch. When at the gym, I feel like I HAVE to work hard or I will be judged (even tho I KNOW that no one is looking, you still don't wanna be the slacker). Plus, gyms have so many different options when it comes to different machines.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I am probably in the minority but I exercise at home. Over time I have added several different peices of equipment and dvd's to mix it up. I like being able to get up in the morning, toss on my work out cloths and get it done. I live in a small town so driving into a gym would be time consuming for me, plus it is so expensive and I hate waiting for machines.
If you want to try a gym, sign up for GROUPON's or LIVINGSOCIAL deals. They always have gym deals which you will let you try them out before joining.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #5  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I exercise at home too. I think it depends on what you plan on doing.
If you plan on doing mostly weights and treadmill. You can buy those and they last forever. Free weights are the only way to go anyways. Stay away from weight machines.
If you plan on attending all the classes, I would say go to the gym.

We live out in the country and while I could go to one downtown (where I work), I rather go home, relax a bit and then workout. We have a treadmill and a stationary bike, tons of DVDs and free weights, resistance bands, stability ball etc. I also find other people distracting and I would hate to wait for something to be available.

I rather do a short, intense workout and be done with it than hang around in the gym for 1-2 hrs.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #6  

If you're easily self-motivated, doing it at home wouldn't be bad. I personally need that extra push and found that just getting myself to the gym is enough of a push to get me working out. I've only had a membership for a week now, so I can't really say much on that, but I did have a treadmill at home and I was getting up every morning before work to walk. Like someone else said above, there's definitely more variety at a gym and there's potentially aerobics classes as well as the equipment. I will say that I've also started the 30 Day Shred at home while still working out at the gym too. The main thing I like about my gym is that there's a pool and I do as much water aerobics as I can. I say look around and see if you can find a gym you might like. They'll show you around and let you try out or at least they should... Another thing would be cost. Do you have any of your own exercise equipment or whatever is necessary for you to work out at home?

More importantly, what are your reservations for each?
essbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

My experience?

In my 20's, single, student days? The gym. I had the time, I had the energy. Even when I was a telecommuting working 20's, I was sick of being at home all the time so getting OUT to gym was good!

In late 20's,early 30? Pregnant, baby in arms, nursing, toddlerhood? At home. First, gym daycare can suck. The parents exercise and the kids zombie out to TV? WTF?

Second, nursing window in the early days is quite small. Just getting ready to go and traveling to gym and baby wants to nurse again. Easier to nurse baby, put sleeping child down, and run to LR to workout and get a decent chunk in before the next nursing block rather than frittering it away on travel.

In my mid 30's with elementary schooler? I'm at home building back up to my return to the gym during school hours. Then I have to kinda incorporate her into it after school -- so more family oriented activities like bike.

What I LIKE is hitting the gym at night. Around 8 PM. The work crowd is gone, things are quiet. It is second place to first thing in the morning BEFORE any work people show. But I can't do that with family morning responsibilities. And my kid is too little to leave alone for me to hit the gym at night. Dad's useless to me as a sitter because of his sleep schedule and I can't get her wound up in gym daycare right before her bedtime! So I have to hit it during school hours. It's my 3rd fav time, so I can live.

But the point is -- doesn't matter much where you get it or how you get it. The main thing is to GET THE WORKOUT IN.
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

My experience was similar to ASTROPHE's -- when I was young, I went to a really nice gym and loved it. They had lots of variety with interesting machines and a walking track; plus they also had some special classes. You could try different things out at your own pace too. I had my own personal lady trainer, and the Master Trainer made up appropriate routines & gave great advice. I really enjoyed it.

But, then I moved and my life changed. Now I wouldn't choose that becuz of some physical limitations, so I'm doing stuff at home right now. If the circumstances were different, I might choose a gym again. A couple of friends wanted me to try it, but it's not practical for me presently.

I think it's a personal choice. You could go and try a gym out first to see if you like it. If you can get there easily, have the time and inclination -- it is worth a serious looksee. You may just love it ...

PS ~ and ESSBEE's correct; you can get extra support and encouragement at a gym too.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-23-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I work way harder at the gym. I love taking the classes - and push as hard as I can in them. All the machines, free weights, heavy bags, etc. are also available to all members. At home - wouldn't happen. Fortunately for me, my little gym is only $20 a month for unlimited use. It's women only and I love it there.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #10  
Paso a paso

S/C/G: 264/Ticker/160

Height: 1.65

I started at home since last december, AND loving it.
At the begining i was like, i CAN'T live without the leg press, or the leg extension machine ... most of the contras i saw was from me getting a proper legs training.

But i got on the bodybuilding website, and they have TONS of exersices you can do at home. This is the picture of my home gym, it does not have all the thing i want, but i have dumbells, bech, bikes for cardio, weights and a bar, i can do a lot of compound movements.

I do have more weights now, does pictures are from december, the first things i bought.

And i think having the gym at home is easier, cause you'll make your workout at the moment you can, not have to go to the gym, sometime is crowded ... ufff. Sometimes, when i have a very busy day, i do my workouts pretty late at night or pretty early. The only thing i suggest is don't buy too much stuff cause not everyone like to train at home (i was one of those, but most because i didn't know what to do, and i felt totally limited) now i love to train it at home.

You don't need all the fancy equipements we can find in the gym, actually compounds exercises and working with dumbells is much better.
Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by essbee View Post
If you're easily self-motivated, doing it at home wouldn't be bad. I personally need that extra push and found that just getting myself to the gym is enough of a push to get me working out. I've only had a membership for a week now, so I can't really say much on that, but I did have a treadmill at home and I was getting up every morning before work to walk. Like someone else said above, there's definitely more variety at a gym and there's potentially aerobics classes as well as the equipment. I will say that I've also started the 30 Day Shred at home while still working out at the gym too. The main thing I like about my gym is that there's a pool and I do as much water aerobics as I can. I say look around and see if you can find a gym you might like. They'll show you around and let you try out or at least they should... Another thing would be cost. Do you have any of your own exercise equipment or whatever is necessary for you to work out at home?

More importantly, what are your reservations for each?
some insurance companys are now paing for gym classes so check yours.
birdfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've done both, and I love the convenience of home equipment, but I get bored easily, and never had the funds to buy enough equipment to keep me entertained, so home-equipment never got used as much as I thought it would. Although when I paid for a gym membership (especially if there was no pool). I'd also get bored and stop going. Right now, hubby and I pay for our YMCA membership month-to-month, and I actually find this more motivating. I feel like I have to "earn" the priveledge of another month. Also, if I do decide to exercise at home, or on my own, I can. We've talked about maybe taking the summer off, this year, because there are a lot of great free places to swim in our area, and I also, and I also like dog-walking (even though I don't have a dog, so I volunteer at the local humane society shelter), and I'd like to get back to geocaching.

I think you need to know what motivates you and keeps you interested, and of course your budget also is often a deciding force.

The only exercise that never bores me is swimming, but I can't afford an indoor pool. I would swim every day (probably several times a day) if I had my own indoor pool, or lived closer to my gym (even though we do live fairly close). If I won the mega-million lottery, I'd probably buy a beautiful house and build an indoor pool and gym. In fact, I joke that the pool would be in my bedroom, and I'd roll out of bed every morning into the pool.

Last edited by kaplods; 02-23-2012 at 10:28 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I was the type of client that gyms love... paid for membership for years and never went. It was just too much effort, too much planning, too much time, too much guilt with picking up my kid from regular daycare to just drop him in gym daycare.

I have a treadmill that I love. It is versatile enough for me (I can walk, run, incline) and I actually use it. I also have a ball, bands, and dumbbells that I haven't touched in months.

Now that I am reasonably fit, I find myself wanting to go to classes or get into weight training. I am looking for options that I can work in while my son is at his activities. There is a barre studio opening across the street from my office soon , so I might give that a try.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

The simplest truth- I work out more often at home. I work out better at the gym. I work out more consistently at home because the equipment is there, taunting me. But, I hop on for twenty minutes and call it good, whereas my gym workouts are typically an hour or more.

Overall, a lot depends on your feelings about your gym. I used to love the one I went to and went all the time. I would go and do my cardio and weights there, then head home for my abs and stretching. I moved, and I hate my current gym. I went for awhile, then decided it just really isn't a gym I enjoy. Now, I'm looking in to other gyms that have more to offer. I would like to continue my regular daily workouts at home, and supplement with more variety, classes, and weights at the gym.
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #15  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I just cancelled my gym membership, despite the fact it only cost me $24 a month. I started doing Beachbody DVD's last year and completed P90X and am doing Insanity right now. I lost NO weight working out at the gym and I've lost 35 lbs working out at home. Not to mention I now have a pretty good at-home gym complete with exercise ball, free weights, bands, yoga block, yoga mat, pull up bar, and medicine balls. I get much better results at home.

I think it differs by personality. Try both, and see which works for you.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote