Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Default The Cereal isle overwhelms me.....

So upon my restart I decided not to stick to any one plan. To restrictive to complicated and not a life change. I know I could count calories but I am terrible at it and feel like if I stick to mostly lean protein and veggies that I will do well. So far so good.

Well here is the issue. I started out with R Bran cuz my husband likes it and it seems healthy. Well than one day I was in the isle and realized that there are options that are better as far as SUGARS and FAT and CALORIES are concerned. So on to Honey nut cherios last week. Well again in the isle and trying to compare boxes and we moved on to Fiber One 80 calories. NOT MY FAVORITE! Tastes like artificial sweetner. So with all these companies claiming they have the best cereals I guess I am just overwhelmed.

Any suggestions on good tasting good for you cereals?
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #2  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I don't eat cereal, but back when I did, I liked the Kashi cereals pretty well. The shredded wheat was my favorite, but Kashi Good Friends is super high fiber and tastes a lot better than Fiber One. (I used to refer to it as 'Kashi Sticks and Twigs', if that tells you anything.)
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I second the Kashi stuff! My kids really like it.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I'm not eating cereal right now, but I really like Kashi GoLean because it has protein. I used to mix the regular golean with the golean crunch. I also really like plain old Grape Nuts and shredded wheat - the only sugar is what you add.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

I really like the Kashi Go Lean Crunch. It does have higher protein and fiber, so you don't get hungry for awhile. Also, the milk or soymilk that you eat with it will also add some protein. I've also eaten the plain small size shredded wheat. I used to eat the one in the brown box. It doesn't have any added ingredients, though I think that a lot of cereals are said to have hidden pesticides.
SensualSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248/183/150

Height: 5' 6"

I, too, highly recommend any Kashi brand cereal. Their "Go Lean Crunch" is also an excellent replacement for granola.
Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300+/Ticker!/140 lbs

Height: 5'8" Age: 27

I love Kashi Go Lean Berry Crunch. I'm not sure if that's the exact name but it has dried fruit and it's very yummy.
Riesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #8  
Paso a paso

S/C/G: 264/Ticker/160

Height: 1.65

I don't eat cereal, all the options were loaded with sugar. What i use to do (back when i was on carbs) was make my own granola from whole oats. Is easy, is healthy, is fast. I made my own cause almost all the options i have here come with honey, as i was prediabetic i didn't wanted to eat anything with a high GI
Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm doing a month without added sugars, and cereals with more than 3gm of sugar are off limits - so I RACED to my box of plain Cheerios and it's only 1 so yay! hahaha I've eaten Cheerios practically every day of my life it seems! I have a bowl first thing, usually with a banana sliced in it, then when I get to work I have a scoop of cottage cheese

I tried Kashi and liked it but it seemed like a dessert more than breakie
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218.8/155.0/150

Height: 5'05

I love special K vanilla almond. Then again im on WW and its not that hig in points
Samanthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat fan and I use almond milk rather than cows milk, a lot fewer calories.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 AM   #12  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I love shredded wheat, too! I also got a box recently of the oat and honey special K, and it was good, lower in cals too, since I'm a CC'r. I like cracklin' oat bran, but its higher in cals, and sugar, but it.. helps the next day, LOL, kwim? And I love, love cheerio's.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I'll throw out another vote for plain Cheerios. I love shredded wheat too. I'm a Wheaties fan, but I just looked and saw it has 4g of sugar, which is kind of a lot, less than some. I tend to mix my cereals, so it will be half cheerios, say, then half wheaties, then I put strawberries in it.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Frankly, just give me oatmeal. I love it. I do have a sweet tooth, so I like a bit of brown sugar and raisins. I can have a whole serving with nonfat milk, a small amount of brown sugar, and a few raisins for about 300 calories.

Cold cereals confuse me. The tastier ones with lower calories have little or no fiber. But some cereals are super high in calories. I have tried some of te Kashi cereals and seem to be in the minority because I didn't care for it (love their chicken enchilada frozen dinner though).

I used to like Honey Nut Cheerios but they don't have much fiber. I have Wheaties in my house but haven't opened the box. I love corn flakes but no fiber in tem. Raisin bran has good fiber but is high in calories.
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote