Old 02-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default vent of a former smoker

a little missleading title perhaps but here it geos.
I quit smoking, ya for me and all that jazz. Its been about 4 weeks and do you know what I have to show for the healthy choice i made?

9 lb gain. Yeah, nice.

I prepared myself, I kept water handy, stayed away from the birthday cakes and treats that were coming (i'll be honest, i did have a piece of cake with Jacks birthday and 3 dainties at moms retirement) but I made a conscious effort to have frozen grapes, snap peas, pistachios (not a lot, 12-15) and anythign else i could think of to distract my hands when i felt the urge to smoke or eat instead.

Well, I guess I didn't prepare enough.

I have to say I really don't think that's fair at all. Finally make the choice to quite such a horrible habit that is so unhealthy, and i'm rewarded with extra pounds. Awesome.

I know in the long run the pros outway the cons right now but in my head thats all blah blah blah.
I just needed to sit in a huff and ask WTF is up with that??

Sigh. Rant over
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Way to go on quitting! That's truly one of the best things you can do for your health. It does truly suck, but these pounds will come off soon- it's not a permanent tradeoff!

Last edited by djs06; 02-23-2012 at 04:10 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Soon enough you will lose the pounds and be smoke free. Nothing is better than that. But you are right, it is totally unfair and hard to come to terms with. It's like when you start doing a hard exercise routine and your weight GOES UP because of water retention in your muscles. Very discouraging but if you stick with it, it all pays off in the end!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I feel your 'gain', litterally. I too quit smoking, 3 weeks ago today. I have seen the scale go up 3lbs AND I have prepared for this quit by increasing my exercise and continuing to eat healthy foods. UGH.
We DO feel better, we smell better and we can breath better. We really rock girl!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 325/125/maintaining

Height: 5'6.5

I quit smoking a year ago, but luckily never saw any weight gain from it. I'm sure your gain is temporary. Ya for you for quitting smoking!! I got some sugar free hard candy to suck on to help keep me from munching...and sugar free gum. Chewed on toothpicks and straws, too. Lol
KatMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #6  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Congrats on quitting smoking; it is one of the best things you have done for yourself. I had gained with previous attempts but for the last one (9 years on March 20th), I planned ahead much better -- watched what I ate and also chewed sugarfree gum, and chewed on homemade fake ciggies my DH made me (you can buy them now though). Sugarfree candy also helps like KatMarie says.

I have read that the body needs time to adjust your metabolism, so you should lose that 9 lbs with a little time ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/197/150

I quit smoking last year, and then I started again in October.. I quit again for my new years resolution and despite how much I prepared and hard things to keep me busy I gained, I think, 11 lbs. It's all come back off but it took some work.

Whenever I felt like I needed a cigarette I munched on some baby carrots. I've eaten a LOT of baby carrots these last two months.. but I am not a smoker anymore.
Huzzahforska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #8  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

THanks so much for the replies ladies, some how i feel a lot more at ease with it knowing it's not just me lol.

Congrats to us all!!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/193/140

Height: 5'5

Coon do you remember when I was ranting about this in the Daily Weigh In thread? I had decided to quit just a few short months after starting the daily weigh ins, and gained back the entire 16 lbs that I had lost. Unfortunately it happens, the key is (and I didn't do this) to keep focused because if you do that the weight will come off. I ended up using it as an excuse to slip up on other things, and it's taken me a really really long time to refocus. I don't want to see that happen to you. On the flip side, I've now been smoke free for 1 year, 5 months and 1 week. You can do it, and you know it'll be better for you and Jack in the long run. I have complete faith in you!
Kukkie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #10  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

I quit smoking almost four months ago and I ended up gaining about eight or so pounds. But over the past week I've been back on the weight loss train and all of it came off plus some! Turns out it was just water gain!
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote