General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #1  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Question Food Choppers/Processors?

So I had a Quick Chop food chopper for a while . . you know, the kind that you push the thing down by hand and it chops up your little bit of garlic or onion or whatever. Very small but I mostly just used it for mincing garlic. It broke and I want to replace it but am hoping someone can recommend one.

I don't want another manual one but rather a small electric one. I've read lots of reviews on different ones but my main concern is that I want to be able to chop some veggies like peppers, carrots, zucchini, garlic rather than puree or smush them and to mince garlic.

A lot of the smaller ones seem to say 'chop and puree' rather than 'chop and mince'.

Here are the ones I was looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DLC-...pr_product_top

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-E...pr_product_top

http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb...emNumber=57499

There's also an 8 cup one by B&D but don't know if that's too big . . . would have to see it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...essor/16913545

Anyone have any reviews on these or another kind? Open to suggestions. TIA.

Last edited by loose seal; 02-22-2012 at 01:26 PM.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I have the cuisinart. Its really handy and powerful. My only complaint is that if you over process you will end up with mush (like youve mentioned).

I also had the vidalia chop wizard. I loved it (just broke like 2 weeks ago after YEARS). Now that baby is great at dicing. I love making pico de gallo and the vidalia chopped everything into nice little cubes - no mush. Downside is that there is no motor, its all manual.

Something else that might work for you is a salad shooter, I recently purchased one of these and its great at chopping, shredding and slicing. One veggie that doesnt work too well with it is celery.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #3  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
I have the cuisinart. Its really handy and powerful. My only complaint is that if you over process you will end up with mush (like youve mentioned).

I also had the vidalia chop wizard. I loved it (just broke like 2 weeks ago after YEARS). Now that baby is great at dicing. I love making pico de gallo and the vidalia chopped everything into nice little cubes - no mush. Downside is that there is no motor, its all manual.

Something else that might work for you is a salad shooter, I recently purchased one of these and its great at chopping, shredding and slicing. One veggie that doesnt work too well with it is celery.
The Cuisinart I linked to? Yeah, I was seriously considering that one. It got pretty good reviews and is more the size I was looking for. Boscov's has it for $40. I was originally looking at ones that were like $15-$25 max but the reviews for those weren't nearly as good. Also, this one says it does 'chopping and grinding' vs. many others saying 'chopping and pureeing'. Grinding is more akin to mincing than pureeing is, I think. ??

Would that Cuisinart grind graham crackers into crumbs? I bake a lot and mainly use a mixer but whenever I make a graham cracker crust I always wish I had some kind of food processor . . I still put them in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.

The Vidalia chopper looks pretty good but it doesn't have much selection in the size of the chopped pieces. I prefer a bit smaller pieces.

HEY! You're only 2 lbs. away from your second goal. You go!!

Last edited by loose seal; 02-22-2012 at 04:20 PM.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Lol thanks for noticing!

Yeah the cuisinart would be perfect for graham crackers.....I've used it for that, for saltines, and even ritz crackers.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote