Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #1  

Unhappy Proud of losses, but Sooooo much more to lose!

I have lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks, including a 2.5 pound loss this week. I feel it should be quicker, but I am recovering from major surgery and still on some of my post-surgery meds (why I gained so much weight int he first place). Regardless, I glad to be losing, but I still have to lose at least 70 more (and that is being easy on myself) and the road ahead seems so long and so daunting. I am not quitting on my diet, but I just have the blues and feel discouraged. Anyone else with a lot to lose get this way???
Ava W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #2  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava W View Post
I have lost 11 pounds in 5 weeks, including a 2.5 pound loss this week. I feel it should be quicker, but I am recovering from major surgery and still on some of my post-surgery meds (why I gained so much weight int he first place). Regardless, I glad to be losing, but I still have to lose at least 70 more (and that is being easy on myself) and the road ahead seems so long and so daunting. I am not quitting on my diet, but I just have the blues and feel discouraged. Anyone else with a lot to lose get this way???
I know you feel like 11lbs in 5 weeks isn't a LOT, but it's still a start! That's 11lbs that you're NOT carrying around with you anymore. Trust me, when you first start out it seems SO daunting that you still have x to go, BUT trust me! Once you get the momentum going & lose 30-40lbs you feel SO different about it! You have to put one foot in front of the other before you can get down the road

I remember when I was at the 30lb mark and I just kept thinking sheesh, this doesn't feel like much compared to OTHER people; but you can't compare yourself to others You WILL lose it eventually! Now I'm coming up on 50lbs and that's a HUGE thing for me!

But just have faith in yourself! You've came so far and you will get there, I promise! Just keep your head up!
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248/183/150

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Anyone else with a lot to lose get this way???
Yes! When my weight loss slowed to about 2-3 pounds in 5 weeks (if I'm lucky), and still had 60 pounds to go I was way down in the dumps, and extremely frustrating. I no longer have the fun of imagining losing a certain amount of weight by a particular date.

Giving up at this point just isn't an option. I am constantly having to adjust my perspective in order to maintain my commitment to lose weight and gain health... Like realizing I'm not on a diet, but am reconditioning how I will eat and approach food for the rest of my life, and that exercise and physical fitness is just as important.

I've had to put at least as much emphasis on NSVs (non-scale victories), as the occasional movement down on the scale.

Lifestyle changes are a ***** to accomplish! Somehow, accepting this fact has helped maintain my resolve. But I *still* get the blues, and try to accept this fact, too, knowing they will come, and especially, they will go.
Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #4  

Thanks for responses. This is my second go round and it seems like it is moving so much slower this time. The first time I could calculate "if I lose 2 - 4 pounds in a week, by X date I will be back to normal!!" But this time I just don't know how long it is going to be before I look like myself again. I just keep telling myself that if I weren't dieting, I could gain 11 pounds in 2 weeks, so at least by dieting I am moving in the right direction...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #5  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Quote:
Thanks for responses. This is my second go round and it seems like it is moving so much slower this time. The first time I could calculate "if I lose 2 - 4 pounds in a week, by X date I will be back to normal!!" But this time I just don't know how long it is going to be before I look like myself again. I just keep telling myself that if I weren't dieting, I could gain 11 pounds in 2 weeks, so at least by dieting I am moving in the right direction...
Sometimes it just goes slower. Are you getting enough water in? That could be a problem if you're not. Have you tried drinking 1 cup of hot/warm water with lemon in it? It's supposed to help flush out any excess water, I swear it helps me! lol.

Also, you WILL get there! Just gotta keep heading in the right direction Are you exercising or anything like that?
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I think, for me anyways, instead of thinking of as a diet and thinking of it as a way of life, it may be easier to look at it. I used to "diet", then after going to ww for YEARS of up and down on the scale, i've finally started trying to look at is this is the way i have to live or it will never come off or i'll gain more.

Your doing great! 11 lbs in 5 weeks is fantastic, i only lost 15 lbs in 6 MONTHS!!!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Quote:
I just keep telling myself that if I weren't dieting, I could gain 11 pounds in 2 weeks, so at least by dieting I am moving in the right direction...
I know you have heard a million times that it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle, but it's so true. I am not dieting. I am improving my health by eating less and making healthier choices and getting some exercise. And the changes I make will be changes that I plan to do for a lifetime. The old Sandi and her unhealthy ways are gone forever!

I am always watching everyone and thinking they are losing so much faster than me. But the truth is that it's not a race. It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb, a 7,000 calorie deficit to lose 2 lbs and a 10,500 calorie deficit to lose 3 lbs. That's a 1000 - 1500 calorie deficit every day to lose 2-3 lbs in a week. That takes some work. I think we all (myself included) need to start realizing that we are doing an awesome job with this and quit being so hard on ourselves. Do the work consistently and the weight will come off, sooner or later.

Last edited by Sandi; 02-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #8  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

To help, I couldn't look at the big picture. I made a picture of a pizza. I carved it into 8 slices (I had 80 pounds initially that I wanted to lose). Each slice represented 10 pounds. I worked towards those 10 pound goals. At first they came quickly and then the came more slowly, but little by little.

175 was my '80' pound goal. As I got closer to there, I realized I could lose more and wanted to lose more. It wasn't so daunting now to add 15 more pounds to my goal, so I went to 160 for a goal and didn't (and still don't) find a need to break it down into 5 pound goals, but I might change my mind as I've been stuck between 171-176 for two months now.

If I would have started at 255 last January and said "I need to lose 95 pounds" and after a month seeing I still needed to lose about 81 pounds, I would feel discouraged. Instead, I enjoyed removing that slice from the pizza - I could see a chunk missing. (this was on my blog). Then I got to take another slice off - wow! 20 lbs of 80 is a quarter of the pizza - I was already a quarter of the way there! Woo-hoo!

And my initial goal was a realistic one. I knew at my height there was no reason I couldn't get to 175. From there it will be baby steps until I figure out where my body wants to settle. And for now, I'm thinking 160 is a good place and I'll reassess from there.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Well put Sandi

That being said, 11 pounds in 5 weeks is a pretty rapid rate Your doing fine, and once you can excerise it'll speed the process along even more. Remember, don't be in a hurry. The weight will come off.

Its taken me almost 4 years, with a few breaks inbetween, to lose 165 pounds. And i've managed to lose 15 since starting here Nov 7th. But I haven't gained more then the typical fluctations, since I've started. Because this is a lifestyle change. Not a diet.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Don't think about it. Just do what you are doing and carry on. The time will pass anyway. So carry on like you are. You will get there when you get there. It will be ok.

I also have 100 to lose, maybe more. But I can't be looking at the forest now.

This is one case where it is FINE to not be able to see the forest for the trees! I can only cope with one tree (lb) at a time!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-22-2012 at 02:18 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #11  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

You've gotten some great advice. The time will pass so just keep doing what you're doing and it will come off. on losing 11lbs, that's amazing! it is a lifestyle change, I had to committ to myself that this is how I will eat for the rest of my life (eating healthy) set small goals for yourself and focus on that (the next 5lbs in stead of the next 70lbs) chip away at it and as time goes by you will notice a difference. Hang in there! And enjoy your weightloss so far!

Last edited by InsideMe; 02-22-2012 at 02:33 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #12  

Thanks to everyone for the great advice! I have been thin my whole life, except two times. Once, a large weight gain after my first major surgery. And now, a large weight gain after my second major surgery. The combination of medication, pain, bed rest, and way too much bread to combat nausea (and honestly, I ate little else but bread) and I can gain a huge amount within about 6 months.

Aside from injury, I have never had a problem maintaining a low weight, so the lifestyle part is not a problem for me. The problem for me is the actual losing of the weight, which I do view as a diet, especially because I am mostly doing meal replacements now.

Last time I lost the weight I was off all my meds and more mobile. This time, I am not healing as quickly, so I know the weight will take longer to lose. Meantime I just tend to be very hard on myself about how I look and how much I weigh. But I will keep at it.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 AM   #13  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

Remember that the time is going to pass regardless of if you are fat or reducing. It might seem like a long time, but in reality it isn't. I've been at this a year, I know it will probably take me another year to get to goal because as time goes on it gets harder to lose. But I haven't been this size since I was 18, so that means it took me 13 years to put on the weight I've gotten rid of in one year.

I'm at the stage where I can't look at the big picture anymore. I can't think of the 15kg I have to go. I am just thinking about 1kg. As long as I stay the same or drop in weight, I know I'm doing something right, something that is good for my body.

Good luck, you can do it. And 11lb in 5 weeks is great, I'm jealous!
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #14  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

I think you are doing very well. It's easy to feel discouraged or overwhelmed when you have a lot to lose. It was very hard for me to lose so once I had lost 100 I felt very down about how much I still had to go. I just hung in there and kept plugging away.

Be kind and patient with yourself. You've just had surgery and recovery can be enough to make anyone a little down.

Once you reach goal you won't really care about how long it took; only that you got there!

Hope you feel better soon!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #15  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

I like what a lot of other people do - break it down.

You've lost 11lbs and you'd like to lose 70.

Can you lost 10lbs again 6 times? Yes you can - since you already did once.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote