Old 02-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Strict IP products vs. Alternatives- thoughts?

I have been on IP for almost 6 weeks and down 25lbs. I have been reading a lot on these boards, especially the Alternative products thread and I am curious- what are your honest thoughts about using only IP products, only alternative products, or a combo of the two? I can honestly say, I have been doing well on the IP products but simply due to cost, I may investigate even further using the alternative products. There is a big cost difference! Can you share your thoughts? And, mind you, my ONLY consideration with changing is due to cost. But, I want to see what others experiences have been. Thanks!
mtnsun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsun4 View Post
I have been on IP for almost 6 weeks and down 25lbs. I have been reading a lot on these boards, especially the Alternative products thread and I am curious- what are your honest thoughts about using only IP products, only alternative products, or a combo of the two? I can honestly say, I have been doing well on the IP products but simply due to cost, I may investigate even further using the alternative products. There is a big cost difference! Can you share your thoughts? And, mind you, my ONLY consideration with changing is due to cost. But, I want to see what others experiences have been. Thanks!
I have only done alternatives, down 22.2 lb. in 6 weeks. In terms of products, I don't see why there should be a difference. I use both drinks and bars, and am not really interested in anything else, would rather stick to veggies, my own soups, and proteins.
It seems the difference is in having a coach. IMHO, this forum brings support and accountability.
MaMaZu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 239.4/ticker/140ish

Height: 5ft 5.5in

I started using IP products and then switched to alternatives because of the cost. However, since switching I haven't been very good about staying OP. I've been making severe cheats with OP items. So I'm thinking of switching back now that I have a job. If you can do alternatives and be responsible for yourself and stay 100% OP, then by all means do it.
EmilySebetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/145/135

Height: 5'6"

I use some alternatives but first I review the nutrition label - and if its similar to an IP item I might purchase it. I am trying not to stray from the IP products because they were made for this specific diet. I am having success with the IP products. If I do use alternatives I might only do 1 or 2 a week to supplement. Maybe when I lose more I will consider more alternatives - just not right now! Hope this helps - I know many people have lost with alternatives - I am just not ready to do that yet!
chshedtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
I have only done alternatives, down 22.2 lb. in 6 weeks. In terms of products, I don't see why there should be a difference. I use both drinks and bars, and am not really interested in anything else, would rather stick to veggies, my own soups, and proteins.
It seems the difference is in having a coach. IMHO, this forum brings support and accountability.
Good point! I also mostly eat drinks, bars and puddings. As far as a coach, she really doesn't provide much "support" during the week. I have to drive about 35 minutes out of my way to see her once per week, I email her my order the night before, and she "sometimes" has all of the product I request. There has been times when I have to get with her later in the week to get my other items. We spend about 10 minutes together and that is about it. She asks me how my week went and the few times I have asked questions, she doesn't know or said she needs to read more to find out. I don't hear from her during the week at all unless I contact her. So, my point is, I really get all my support from the boards. But, the one thing that holds me accountable is the weigh in and measurements. That is the one piece that I look forward to because I love to see the numbers going down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chshedtchr View Post
I use some alternatives but first I review the nutrition label - and if its similar to an IP item I might purchase it. I am trying not to stray from the IP products because they were made for this specific diet. I am having success with the IP products. If I do use alternatives I might only do 1 or 2 a week to supplement. Maybe when I lose more I will consider more alternatives - just not right now! Hope this helps - I know many people have lost with alternatives - I am just not ready to do that yet!
That is a good idea. I was thinking of printing out the nutritional info for the IP products so I could compare. It may be a good idea to start out with a few products to have on hand.
mtnsun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I switched to alternatives after two months mainly because of the driving time of an hour each way to the clinic. I matched the nutrictional info of the altenatives carefully with the IP products using the sheets on the sickies. The alternatives have worked fine. Only disappointment has been that they don't work well in the recipes for IP packets.
I have no trouble with not having to be accountable to a coach. The bottom line is that we need to learn to be accountable to ourselves.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I use only IP products except for the RTD which I buy EAS drinks for that. I think the IP drinks taste better, but my daughter and I are both on IP and I was happy to cut down on the cost a bit with two of us on the diet.
I love my coach and she's really knowledgeable, so that does help a lot.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnsun4 View Post
I would like to hear more on this, too. Two things concern me going with alternative products:
1.Is the nutritional make-up the same? While I want to lose weight, I want to
get the best nutrition while I'm at it.
2. Is there enough support/info here to make it through all the phases?

The cost is a real concern but before I brake up with my doc, I want to be sure I won't have to go back and eat humble pie

Last edited by shiipa; 02-21-2012 at 06:53 AM.
shiipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

The nutritional aspect of alternatives concerns me. When a product says it has 18 grams of protein does that mean that is the amount of protein available or is that the amount of protein our bodies absorb? I know the IP products have very absorbable protein (which is one of their selling points) and we get the maximum benefit from that but don't know if that is true about the alternative products. Not getting enough protein while on such a low calorie diet is why other extremely low calorie diets have caused major health problems in the past. I'm sticking with the IP products until I lose this weight because then it all becomes a nonissue and I can eat regular food.
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Some of the alternative products are identical to the ones that you get from IP. Mainly the restricted (2 bars that I know of, and the chocolate puffs). I have switched back to IP for some products because there is no alternate for some of my favorite products (Raspberry Jelly mainly), but I also incorporate the alternative restricteds into my lunches. Mind you I don't know how this will work with a coach because I'm ordering from Ideal to Go so I don't have to explain ordering only 3 weeks of products instead of 4.

However; I did very well on only alternatives when I did my restart in January. I lost 10.2lbs the first week and continued very well until I got my IP things and started them 2/6. I was really curious if I would see a greater drop in weight when I went to the strict IP but there has been no difference.

HTH!!
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #11  

I have only used alternative products from the beginning. I did A LOT of research before starting though. I printed all nutritional information of the products from Ideal to Go. I use that to compare to alternate products from Nashua. I know there's a spreadsheet floating around that compares products as well. I believe ProtiThin and ProtiDiet. I use both of these products as well as Healthsmart and some WeightLossSystems from nashua nutrition. I read ALL labels before purchasing anything. I check the calories, carbs, sugars, sodium and protein. I also check to make sure there's no aspartame.

I HIGHLY recommend reading the alternative sticky thread at the top of the forum.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyMommy View Post
Some of the alternative products are identical to the ones that you get from IP. Mainly the restricted (2 bars that I know of, and the chocolate puffs). I have switched back to IP for some products because there is no alternate for some of my favorite products (Raspberry Jelly mainly), but I also incorporate the alternative restricteds into my lunches. Mind you I don't know how this will work with a coach because I'm ordering from Ideal to Go so I don't have to explain ordering only 3 weeks of products instead of 4.

However; I did very well on only alternatives when I did my restart in January. I lost 10.2lbs the first week and continued very well until I got my IP things and started them 2/6. I was really curious if I would see a greater drop in weight when I went to the strict IP but there has been no difference.

HTH!!
Would you mind telling me the name and brand of the 2 bars that you have used? Thanks.
Mechell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #13  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacitaof2 View Post
I have only used alternative products from the beginning. I did A LOT of research before starting though. I printed all nutritional information of the products from Ideal to Go. I use that to compare to alternate products from Nashua. I know there's a spreadsheet floating around that compares products as well. I believe ProtiThin and ProtiDiet. I use both of these products as well as Healthsmart and some WeightLossSystems from nashua nutrition. I read ALL labels before purchasing anything. I check the calories, carbs, sugars, sodium and protein. I also check to make sure there's no aspartame.

I HIGHLY recommend reading the alternative sticky thread at the top of the forum.
ditto for me!

I have only used alternatives and it has went well
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 247/208/175

Height: 5 ft. 6 in.

I am starting the plan for a second time and will be using Doctor's Best Weight Loss products. Their prices are fair and the selection is good. You can also purchase other products from their site.
Have a blessed day!
tle1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

I have been using nothing but alternatives since I started. I use buy my drinks from Wal-Mart, EAD AdvantEdge Carb Control Ready to drink shakes and I use the Prue Protein Bars. I have not ordered any of the products from NaushaNutrition (ProtiDiet) yet, but I have my wish list ready. The omlets, pancakes, lemon meringue bars and chili-lime soy nuts.

I lurked on here for months, I researched and researched before I decided to do this plan. And there has not been any side effects from doing the alternatives and my losses are staying steady.
rissimo is offline   Reply With Quote