Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Opinions on Planet Fitness

I currently work out at home on my elliptical or by taking walks. I am very inconsistent in my workouts, though. Every time I get into a pattern, I have a day or two where I can't exercise and that just ends everything.

I don't want to pay a lot of money for an expensive gym membership that I might not use. I have heard that Planet Fitness offers $10 per month packages. They have different cardio and weight resistance training equipment that might stop me from getting bored. I just wonder if I will actually use it, as the nearest one is about 8 miles from my house.

Does anyone have any feedback about Planet Fitness? Odds are I will take the cheaper route and continue to do my own thing...
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #2  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

your planet fitness experience depends on the owner. the one i joined in virginia beach, sucked. it was all muscle heads showing off for each other, which is the exact opposite of what it's supposed to be. the lunk alarm never went off when i was there.

however, one of the folks here on campus used to work at a planet fitness, and now is a member of one in the local area, and he says they are definitely not like that in general. they tend to cater to a less 'gym oriented' crowd, and anyone that shows off, or wears inappropriate clothing, or generally breaks their list of very reasonable rules is shown the contract they signed, and then shown the door.

it is nice that they are open 24hrs during the week and only close on friday and saturday evenings. i ended up wasting my membership, because i didn't like the clientele at the one i was a member of. but i think that was simply because of the location (right next to a military base). and it was a bunch of young military guys flexing for each other. fun to watch, but not so much when they were staring at the fat chick on the elliptical :P
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #3  

Thanks for the feedback. I am scared to get locked into a contract only to find I don't like the atmosphere. I just need to get motivated and stay consistent with my own workout routine. That's probably the more economical way to go too.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #4  
SanityNow

guacamole, do they have any type of 'try out' introductory offer? A (different) gym by me had a 7 day free 'try out' introductory offer. It's a good way to see what's what before making a commitment.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #5  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

see if maybe you can talk to the owner/manager of the one nearby and request a 1 month trial period to see if you want to join. tell them you are seriously considering it, but want to make sure it's the right atmosphere for you. a lot of gyms will do that to get a membership.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I have one and like it though I probably could use it more than I do.

I've done Bally's and LA Fitness in the past. But I find PF way more affordable at the $150 ish for a year. I never took the group classes at bally's and didn't bother with classes and hated the daycare at la fitness.

I was a student when I did the bally's 3 yr for $1500 thing. I can't remember what the total cost was at LA Fitness but I remember it was the $50 a month charge.

So to me $150 contract is a steal. Because honestly? Even if I hate it? My two pairs of new balance sneakers a year costs more than that.

And I'm getting what I want -- a basic gym without extras I never use. I did have to wait til my kid was school age though to join because they don't have daycare. But that was ok with me.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-20-2012 at 06:41 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I thought that Planet Fitness wasn't a contract place....I may be wrong, but my dh was a member there once and didn't stay a full year, i don't remember any extra being charged on our account. Have you called the one near yoU?
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

I'm currently a member of planet fitness and love it! In my area it's brand new and open 24/7. Anyways I have a month to month contract. I joined when it was $1 down (regularly approx 25 I think?) and it's $10/month. They tell you the date they bill on (mine is the 17th of the month) and if you want to cancel you just give them notice at least 2 weeks before you're due to be charged and they cancel it. You aren't locked in nor do you have to pay to get out.
nu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 176/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'2.5"

Oh and I forgot to mention Ive only ever seen one guy who was there moreso to check himself out in the mirror than workout. At my gym there are people of all ages and sizes and quite a few families that work out together. I never feel like anyone is looking at me which I LOVE haha. Hope this was helpful and good luck with whatever you decide to do.
nu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #10  

Thanks for the feedback! One of the problems is that there aren't any locations within 5 miles of me - and knowing me - I probably won't go if I have to travel farther (especially in traffic). It does seem like a good deal, though.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

I belong to PF and it is a no contract deal. Its actually my "second gym" near my parents house, so when I visit I have no excuse to not work out. I never have any problems with the other members - everyone is always very friendly. The typical crowd is not really hard core athletes, but more like regular people just exercising.

I've also never had any problems with the equipment.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote