View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #18
Veela

S/C/G: 172/170/130

Height: 5'7

Diabeticdiva, I think think there needs to be a distinction between juicing all natural whole vegetables and fruits juiced at home and reconstituted juices or liquid diet supplements. A juicing diet and liquid diet are not the same thing. Liquid diets generally consist of protein meal replacements which are chemically processed and manufactured. What we are talking about here is buying whole fruits and vegetable and making your own juices at home with them using either a juicer or a blender. The only thing removed from the fruits or vegetable is essentially the fiber.

As for your concerns regarding calcium, there are a lot of vegetable which contain calcium including spinach, kale, broccoli, collard green and romaine lettuce. These vegetables also contain a form of calcium which is far more accessible to the body than milk or dairy products.

Fruits and vegetables also contain protein and when juiced the protein actually becomes more accessible to the body. Because it with the right type of juicer is breaks down the cell wall and makes it easy for the body to process and absorb the proteins it contains.

As for the caloric intake when doing any kind of juice fasting you are told to drink lots of water and to drink the juices was when you are hungry there is no real restriction to the amount. Some people drink 4-6 20oz glasses of fresh vegetable juice in a day. This type of whole food is very dense in calories but the enzymes, minerals and vitamins are immediately accessible to the body.

Saying that this is unhealthy is like saying that eating nothing but fruit and vegetables for a specified period of time is unhealthy. I think people are really misguided about juice fasting, what it entails and the amount of food and nutrients actually being consumed.

It is meant to be a break for your digestive system and it is considered beneficial if you are trying to deal with food sensitivities and other issues since it gives those parts of the digestive track a chance to recover.

I am not saying this is something that anyone should undertake lightly. Conducting a juice fast correctly and breaking it correctly take planning and education it is also not something that is recommended necessarily for weight loss purposes.

Fat Sick and Nearly Dead calls their program a reboot which is essentially what a juice fast is. It can be a really good opportunity to break food addiction and allows a person to focus on healing their body on an internal level. Basically giving the digestive track a chance to reset and recover.

I think anything beyond 14 days without proper support from a healthcare provider (it does not have to be a doctor, a nutritionist, dietitian, holistic practitioner etc.) is dangerous.

Weightloss should be seen as an additional benefit to juice fasting not the purpose for it. It is meant to fill your body with such nutrient dense food that it begins to release, toxins stored in the body, and recover.

I am not personally planning on undertaking a fast myself, although I may in the future but I think juicing needs to be recognized as beneficial on many levels.
Veela is offline   Reply With Quote