Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:30 PM   #1  

Angry #196 School Days, School Days

School Days, School Days, dear old golden rule days....

OK, I know that for most of us school is either 1. over, 2. not starting for a couple of months, or 3. something we don't even think about anymore. But, as the summer winds down for some, for me it is OVER!!!! I was wondering what you (or your kids) enjoy about the first day of school! (and the last thread was getting long!)

School started for us this past Wednesday! Mark is a big 1st grader, Drew went back to Preschool, and I actually had students in a class. I'm not teaching as of yet, but I am assisting. I'll do my first lesson next Thursday, and by the following week, I will have completely taken over 4 classes. For those of you who do not know, I am student teaching in a 7th grade Reading and Language Arts classroom. I am really excited about it and the kids seem great (but it's only been 2 days so we'll see...) Mark had a fun first day, but he is so tired that he was uncontrollable tonight. He has been so busy. This is the first time that he has gone to school for the entire day, and he has swimming lessons every night from 6-7, so he is really dragging by the time we get home.

I hope that everyone is doing well.

Holly, have you found a place yet? Don't give up, there is one out there for you and David.

BA, when will your move be done? Living out of a box really stinks.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:46 AM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I can't believe I remembered all the words to the song...

"School days, school days, dear old golden rule days,
Reading, and writing, and 'rithmetic,
Taught to the tune of a hickory stick,
You were my queen in calico,
I was your bashful, barefoot beau,
When you wrote on my slate, 'I love you so,"
When we were a couple of kids."

There's a lot of music stuck in the ol' hindbrain. I was singing old jingles with our houseguest last night. Gem had a handful of raisins, so I started singing

"Lay some happiness on me.
Give me raisins and I'll be
So much happier, you'll see.
Lay some happiness on me.
I think raisins taste just dandy
A natural energy treat.
Raisins are as much fun as candy
And as good to eat."

School is far behind me, and a few years ahead of Gem. So we're rather in a school limbo right now. I might as well enjoy it while I can. I understand it starts getting crazy when they go to school. /grin

One thing I've noticed about food and family lately is that I have to pay more attention to the clock at home. *I* may not need to have snacks out all the time, but Gem needs to eat regularly. Yesterday I picked her up from Grandma's and brought her home. She was all sorts of fussy, and kept bursting into tears for no reason. I thought she may be coming down with something. Finally after both of us were frustrated trying to communicate with each other and failing, she took me by the hand, led me into the kitchen and said "Food, Mommy!"

I had assumed she'd had a snack at Grandma's when she got up from her nap, as usual, but I guess they skipped it that day. So I quickly gave her a little yogurt cup and prepped half a PB&J sandwich. By the time her sandwich and milk were ready, the yogurt was gone. What a difference! She started chattering and singing.

I wish she would eat a wider variety of food. It's hard to give her graham crackers or Cheezits when I don't want to eat them. (Well, I WANT to, but don't need to) It's hard to eat my veggies when she won't even look at them (I keep reminding myself that she's two -- she has plenty of time to learn to eat them). The pediatrician says she has a pretty good diet for a two-year-old -- fruit (especially berries and oranges), milk, cheese, hotdogs, chicken nuggets (the only reason we do drive-thru anymore), whole wheat bread, peanut butter, yogurt, crackers, and of course the ubiquitous Cheerios (Which we call "O's" in public and "Purina Toddler Chow" in private).

I remember the FIGHTS I used to have with my Mom about food. Actually, we didn't fight. She pushed, I refused. I used to sneak loaves of bread out of the bread drawer and hide them in the closet, then go sit in there and eat slice after slice of "squishy white bread". I'd eat off the crusts first, then roll the rest into little pellets and eat them one by one. The epitome of decadence!!

My Mom was of the "cottage cheese and raw veggies" diet crowd. I think they all were at that time. Carbs were BAD -- see, we've gone full circle again. /sigh She gave me those little appetite suppresant candies ("Ayds" I think they were called). She pushed me to get out of the house, even if just to take a walk.

I don't want to obsess over food anymore. I want it to be a healthy, interesting, but not overdone thing in my family. I don't want Gem to go through the micro-managing of food that I grew up with and still try to resist doing. I know more about nutrition, dieting, healthy food, and weird Oriental food plans than anyone has a right to know.

So I need to be aware of what Gem eats, and offer her good foods. But not obsess or take it personally when she doesn't want to eat veggies. She's got lots of time to learn to love healthy food. If I offer it, eventually she'll try it. (At least, that's the plan.)

Sorry to ramble this morning. Just got to thinking... (A dangerous pasttime, I know.)
Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 AM   #3  

Denise, You are a much better person than I am!! I would never have the patience for a class full of 7th graders. I'm so glad you like your new job and I know you'll have a great year!! We're getting ready for school here too, but we don't start until August 20th. I started buying school supplies yesterday. I just have to stock up for the whole year when Wal-Mart has them so cheap (notebooks for 9 cents and crayons for 20 cents). That way when they run out in the middle of the school year, I just send them to school supply box to get what they need.

Synger, Too Funny!! I remember the Ayds candy and my mom also gave them to me!! The only problem was that I liked them and would sit down with the whole box!!

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes when I really think about it I realize that part of my problem is that I do eat like a kid and that I have to start eating like an adult. If we go to a buffet, or someplace like that, I fill my plate with the same foods that my kids eat, instead of eating more "grown-up" food.

My mom and I also fought about food and I was put on diets starting at about 5 years old, so I've been careful not to make food an issue with me kids. I just give them plenty of healthy choices and they are really good about eating when they're hungry and stopping when they're full. It means that I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because the little ones are rarely hungry at meal times, but always hungry in between meals. As long as they're not filling up on junk, I just let them eat when they're hungry.

Have to start getting everybody ready for the Y. Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i, for one, am just ecstatic that i DON'T have school starting soon. yuck, yuck, yuck. being so freshly out of it, i still have a bad taste in my mouth.

but actually, david and i *did* sign up for some cooking classes at the local JC, starting aug 18th. so technically, i'm still going to school. but i'd rather not think of it that way, cuz it's all just for fun.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:31 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default School Daze!

Holly - Oh a cooking class! How much fun is that? What kind of cooking will you be doing? I keep wanting to sign the Cute Boyfriend and I up for a "Martini & Sushi" class that is offered at a posh place near us but it's expensive.

Synger - Funny how parents influence our eating so much. When I was visiting my mother last week, I learned her new husband doesn't like anything unless it comes from a can! My mother LOVES to cook so this has become a frustrating part of her new life. That evening, she made fresh salmon on the grill with a garlic and ginger marinade and a horshradish sauce on the side. He complained that the skin was still on the fish and it was undercooked (he likes everything well well done), that the sauce was too hot. It was like eating with a 2 year old! Luckily, my mother was a diverse cook and I've carried on that tradition very well.

As for school! Well, I'm taking a sailing class with the Cute Boyfriend right now and having a blast. However, I did sign up for my fall classes a couple weeks ago and luckily got into all of them. I have a great mixture of fun classes (film, photography) with some mentally stimulating classes (writing, pysch). I've bumped my hours up to 15 and I've still working 30 hours so this should be interesting. I'm still looking forward to a great semester.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:01 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I miss school. I like the fall season, everything seems fresh & new. I liked starting the new year, you never knew who was going to be your new friend til the first 2-3 weeks, so anything was possible.

I don't have any of the issues you guys mentioned w/my mom & food. She was actually very very good, encouraging me to eat healthy. We both still eat pretty healthy to this day. She would cut up veggies (carrots, cukes, zukes, peppers, broccoli--which she called trees, and cauliflower--which were flowers) and serve them w/dill dip. She even got some of my friends to eat veggies, when their mothers told her "Oh, she won't eat that." The only thing I would never eat, and will never eat, is celery. Just the smell of raw celery makes me wanna hurl. I put it in soup when I make it, but that's about it. I substitute chopped up water chestnuts in tuna & chicken salad for it. One time @ Girl Scout camp they got me to eat it, only by putting a TON of peanut butter and raisins on it.

My mom's only been heavier the last 10 years, and it's nothing I would consider heavy, even. She could stand to lose 40-60 pounds, but like her daughter, hates to sweat & is completely uncoordinated & klutzy.

Tonight I am cooking for my best friend & his boyfriend @ their house, making a recipe from memory. Beef Spiedini? It was thin steak w/a stuffing inside & bacon wrapped around it. We're having grilled veggies & wheat pasta w/it, and blueberries for dessert. (I think I'm sneaking in turkey bacon)
Old 08-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #7  

Hi all,

I am going back to school at the end of august and my daughter is starting school at the end of august. I am going to go school shopping as soon as my tax credit comes. I can't wait. My daughter starts Kindergarden and I will be in my second year at school.

My food has been doing good, I'm on my 3rd day of atkins induction and the cravings have set in to the point that my tummy feels all messed up. I can't wait till it goes away! But I have already lost 6lbs so i'm happy.

Well I know this is short, but i must go for now.

Bella23
Old 08-04-2003, 10:06 AM   #8  
Losin It For GOOD!

Heya everyone,

Well the move is "half" done... we got all the boxes moved on Saturday, of course it was the most humid day we've had all summer. I almost passed out a few times and I'm still trying to recover from getting extremely dehydrated. You just could NOT drink enough.

We completely move out this coming saturday and then I'm also on vacation!! wahoo! Hopefully I'll have access to the net, but no garantees.

Our new place is SO phenomenal - I'm getting really excited.

Oh random question - anyone have any ideas of where I could pick up a whole lot of wooden chopsticks for really cheaply? I'm going to do an oriental theme in the dining room and found a pattern for a really cute table runner made from chopsticks. They don't need to be anything fancy!

Well I gotta run.. i have a ton of stuff to do at work this week to prepare for being on vacation next week - I cannot wait!!
Old 08-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Beth Anne:

I usually can find a package of 12 sets of plain bamboo chopsticks in the Oriental section of my local grocery store. If they're out, I go to a Chinese market in a nearby town, or take an hour lunch and walk to Chinatown to the stores there.

If you have to find chopsticks online, here are some I found for the plain bamboo ones. (If you are looking to spend more money and get nice laquered ones for your table runner, most of these places sell those, too). You didn't say whether you needed Chinese chopsticks (rounded end) or Japanese (tapered to a point end), so this is a mixed bag.

If you don't mind the kind that are together at one end and you have to break them apart, try this (100 for $4.00):
http://www.winghopfung.com/disbamchop.html

Here's one that you don't have to break apart (100 for $8.60)
http://www.katagiri.com/ctlg/ep.htm

If you need a WHOLE LOT of them, you can buy them by the case from Dynasty Wholesale
http://www.dynastywholesale.com/page-9.html

(There's no such thing as too much research)
Old 08-04-2003, 11:26 AM   #10  
Losin It For GOOD!

Synger - You rock!! thanks SO much for the help...

*** off to browse...

I'm planning to put a plant with a beta fish in it on the runner... I think I can use either japanese or chinese chopsticks and I don't mind breaking them apart either.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 PM   #11  

Default Re: School Daze!

Quote:
Originally posted by Goddess Jessica
Holly - Oh a cooking class! How much fun is that? What kind of cooking will you be doing?
we're taking 3 classes - one is basic, one is "california low fat cooking" and one is "regional chinese food." i'm excited, they start in 2 weeks.

beth anne - what a cute idea! david and i will start thinking how to decorate once we get the furniture in. right now, i just have plain old furnature, a few pictures in frames, and a couple old posters. so we're excited to do REAL decorating.. and have it NOT look like a college apartment. we've got ideas for a tropical jungle bathroom. heh. but the decorating is going to be slow because of money restraints. we'll have to see how much extra $$ we will have a month. we worked out a budget, but of course we have to see how it works in practice as opposed to on paper.

so we get the keys wednesday night, but we're not moving in the big furnature just yet. right now we have the basics with us, plus a mini fridge and the microwave. we're going to be sleeping on the floor. anything to get out of david's parent's house!

alright. to work i go.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:07 PM   #12  

Hey BA, maybe I've mentioned that we used to live in Japan? At any rate, we have an Asian theme all over the house, but mostly in the Living Room.

Another great table runner or mantle runner is just using an OBI which is one of the belts that's used with a Kimono. Obi are the right width - about 10 inches or so - and very beautiful.

Anyway, we've done lots of inexpensive things that go with our authentic stuff from Japan. We'll be mixing in stuff from Korea when we go to get our precious Elijah.

I'd like to know about your chopstick runner. Post a pic when you finish it!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:52 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Happy Monday!!

Life here is pretty good. I have started off the day on the right track. I am eating well and I went back to curves. At the moment, I am very proud of myself. Now I just need to stick with it in the long run. I know if I could just do what I am doing today, I would be successful. One day at a time. I know I don't have to be perfect, just consistent.

Holly Your classes sound great!! I am going to sign up for a cake decorating class. I know, I know. But Jacob's birthday is coming up and I want to start making him super cool cakes every year. I do pretty good on my own, but I think the class would really help. I made a cake that was ruby slippers once. They were soooo cool!!

BA Sounds like you are being very creative!

Bella Good luck with Atkins! I sure have heard great things about it!!

SAPF I do not miss school at all!! I wasn't a good student.

Funny - none of my food issues have anything to do with my mom. She has always been supportive of me. I am actually very lucky.

Denise good luck with school! I am sure you'll do great!!!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:19 PM   #14  
Losin It For GOOD!

You girls will laugh... the reason for the "Oriental" dining room is that room has this really um.. interesting.. wallpaper. It's navy blue with pink slashes across it and long stemmed flowers... I can't really describe. Anyway, it reminds me of chinese restaurant wallpaper ha ha ha and I saw this REALLY cool show on BBC America where they made a chinese themed room and took some cloth napkins and stenciled chinese characters on them, and used them as wall hangings.. and got inspired. Then I found the pattern for the chopstick runner in a magzine.

An Obi sounds BEAUTIFUL but I have to keep this room 1 year old safe. My friend's little girl will be over a lot. I stopped at Home Depot today to buy electrical socket protectors and brackets to attach my bookcase to the wall. Her favorite passtime is pulling all my videos off of the shelf, and in this house the shelf could VERY easily fall over on her if not properly secured. I spent part of this weekend using this cool tubing from Home Depot to hide all the cords in the living room - we had to run the tv wires, phone cord, and 2 speaker wires from one side of the room to the other. It was a little pricey, but came out looking quite neat and nice. I need one more length of tubing to finish off hiding everything and then I'll be done. But its $12 a tube, so it can wait, because its just ugly wires running over the door frame - anything within kid-reach is hidden

I plan on taking a "photo tour" of the house when we're moved in, I'll be sure to include posting pictures of my home decorating fun. This is the first house I've ever really wanted to decorate. It's quite fun.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:58 PM   #15  

sunday david and i accompanied a few of his friends to the nearby renaissance fair. i wore some fun ren faire garb with my boobs all pushed up and hanging out, david was all dressed up and rather drunk, we ate fun food like 'toad in a hole' (pastry with beef inside) and gyros and turkey legs, watched middle eastern belly dancers and a dumb jousting act, and i got 2 necklaces. we were there from 10 am - 7pm. it was a long, long day. but good.

and last but not least, we found out we get the keys to our place on wednesday. just 2 more nights in david's parent's house. 5 1/2 weeks... isn't htat some horror movie or something? it kinda was for me, too. i can't wait to have our own place. =)

and now it's lunchtime on a very slow day at work. i'm eating my healthy choice and countig my calories, like the good little loser i am. catch ya'll lata!
Closed Thread