Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #1  
SanityNow

Default Request for hummus suggestions

Hi. I'm back on the 'plant-based' track, and today made a quick batch of hummus - i forgot how good it is! Chick peas, pumpkin seeds (i didn't have any tahini) frozen shelled edamame, turmeric, onion/garlic, black pepper and enough olive oil to get it moving.

If I just keep hummus as a fridge-staple I can cut down on the dairy and junk and up my nutritional intake.

But I'm going to need more combinations...how do you make your hummus? I'd like to try a black bean or red bean hummus next.

Thanks so much. I think I'm going to succeed this time around.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:46 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Black bean and peanut butter? Sometimes I go tahini, sometimes I go peanut butter.

1 can black beans -- (15 oz) drain/rinse
1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
2 1/2 Tablespoons tahini
3 cloves garlic
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt and cayenne pepper to taste

That's the Sue Spitler recipe.

HTH!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #3  
SanityNow

Sue, so you're using broth/water instead of oil - brilliant. I'll make a batch this week. Thank you
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #4  

I like a can of chickpeas, a splash of olive oil, garlic, a jalapeno, a huge fistful of flat leaf parsley from the garden, lemon juice and enough water to get the consistency I like.

Also it does not have to be just a dip or sandwich spread. I like it on a warm corn tortilla with fresh salsa or tossed with hot pasta.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I love the recipes from Appetite for Reduction. My favorite is the "pizza hummus" which is basically the base recipe (link below) with sundried tomatoes and basil added. Be creative and you won't get bored!

http://books.google.com/books?id=2bB...page&q&f=false

Last edited by ade903; 02-15-2012 at 05:22 PM.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #6  
SanityNow

Hi Tommy and Ade903 Thanks so much for the great ideas. I have a LOT to play with You know, the hummus I had for lunch kept me over until....now.

This is great.
Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #7  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

Height: 5'10

I like making a roasted red pepper hummus. Just your basic hummus recipe: chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, fresh lemon juice, but I roast the garlic and 1 red bell pepper in the oven until charred. It's amazing.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm a purist. In my world, all these recipes are for bean dip not hummus!

I make mine with garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, cayenne and olive oil. The trick to a great hummus is to use hot beans. It comes out smoother and tempers the garlic.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #9  
SanityNow

Good morning Kalipea and zenor77, thanks for your replies. I'm still amazed how simple it is going to be for me to get in my plant-proteins and fiber now. And it's so yummy and satisfying.

I haven't gotten to the point where I cook my own beans, but chick peas (garbanzo) are the first on my list.

I had some hummus on a half scooped out everything bagel this morning and am very content. Tomorrow I'll have it on sliced apple

Thanks again. Have a great day.

Last edited by SanityNow; 02-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #10  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Haven't made it but sounds amazing.

Slow Roasted Tomato Hummus
(Makes about 1 1/2 cups hummus. Recipe created by Kalyn, with much tasting along the way and inspiration from other blogs.)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup slow roasted tomatoes
(or use scant 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes and a little water)
1 can garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas)
2 T garlic puree (or less if you're not a huge garlic fan)
1/4 cup tahini sauce
2-3 T fresh lemon juice (start with 2 T and taste)
2 T olive oil
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. sea salt, or to taste
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #11  
SanityNow

Definitely trying that one. Need to pick up the sundried tomatoes.

I have a recipe for tomato soup made in a blender : a couple of tomatoes or a box of the little ones + a big one, Sundried tomatoes (2 or 3), yellow pepper, basil, water if you need, and hemp seed to give it some smoothness. Blend until warm ( I have a vitamix).
Really good.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #12