Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 133/133/110

Height: 5ft.5in

Default Hard time doing Jillian Michael's Ripped In 30

Hello all, I'm new to this website. I just started calorie counting and incorporating exercise. I was working out to Jillian Michael's Ripped In 30 week one and I feel like it's so hard for me. I can hardly keep up. The parts that are really hard for me are the combo strength training moves and the cardio. I sometimes feel like I have to stop doing the leg portion and just do the arms. I get the feeling like my stomach is nauseated and like I'm going to pass out. Also I feel like I just can't keep up on the cardio. I constantly stop and walk side to side. I wear a heart rate monitor and my heart rate can get up to 181. I'm sure it's just that I'm out of shape and need to work up to it. I guess I want to see if anyone else feels this way and if it got better with time. Thanks for any input!
Petitegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 247/210/160

Height: 5' 10"

I had a hard time at first too. Still struggle through some of it, but it is getting easier. Just keep doing what you can and in time you'll be able to do more. Good Luck!
superchick36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Don't feel bad- it IS a hard program. I did the 90 day program called P90X and thought I'd do Ripped in 30 as a kind of "break". Not! The workouts are shorter but they are really hard! Just do your best. It gets better.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #4  
For my future self!

S/C/G: 187/179/150

Height: 5'4

Don't feel discouraged. I have a hard time with ALL of the workouts videos that I own, including a couple of Jillian videos. The first step, in my opinion, is to get off the couch. The second step is to see it through and never give up. Work at your own pace and eventually you will feel better. I'm about to pop in Firm video in a few. Good luck, you CAN do this.
VioletBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

If you find certain moves difficult, modify them somehow. Like how if you can't do a push-up, you go down to your knees to do a modified pushup, that sort of thing. If you can think of a way to make it a little easier until you are ready to do the full routine you will be, at the very least, improving rather than breaking down and feeling bad.

Jillian kicks my butt, too.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/169/125

Height: 5'5

I'm new here too, and have also just started Ripped in 30. I know exactly what you mean! My first go yesterday I was so nauseous I had to pause the DVD and wait a moment. Today it was a little bit better, but I still needed to go easy during some of the cardio. But you know what? Even with the breaks and the modifications, it's still better than sitting on the couch or pressing the snooze button. It will get easier, I'm sure. Keep updating - I'd be interested to know how you progress!
roncygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #7  

Thank you all for the encouraging words. It really helps to know I'm not alone on this. I'm going to keep doing it as best I can and work up to getting through week one without modifications. I'm not sure I can do it everyday, but I guess I can work up to that too. Last time I did Ripped in 30 I was sore for at least four days. I did it today so hopefully I wont be sore for too long this time.

Roncygirl, your right, even with mods, doing it is much better than sitting on the couch.

I'll keep updating my progress.

Is it supposed to be done everyday? Do you guys do it everyday?
Old 02-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #8  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I have trouble with the combo moves as well. I usually have to stop doing one of the moves and focus on the other one. For example, if I am finding the leg moves to be harder than the arms that day, then I will stop doing the arms and only focus on the legs.. For the last 5 I try to do both again though however. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't

Last edited by Candeka; 02-15-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #9  
Warrior Princess

I have 30 day shred and I made it through (barely) a few times and I gave up on it for now. I'm currently doing Yoga and hand weights. I also have a Gazelle but I'm bored with it. My goal is to work my way back up to Jillian again. I was SO sore from her that I would literally scream when I had to sit down or stand up. I have never been that sore in my life. Keep at it if you can!!
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #10  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Jillian Michaels is TOUGH!! Level 1 or level 4 she is one hard instructor - I think you are doing a good job easing into it - I couldn't do the entire workout when I started, but I kept with it and eventually I worked up to doing level 1 and 2 together for a crazy workout.

There are also a bunch of great dvd workouts you might want to consider to build up to her dvd's - the biggest loser ones are a little easier I find, so is Leslie Sansone and Denise Austin is really great! Also Jillians new dvd, extreme shed & shred has a level one that I find is easier than Ripped in 30 if you wanna give that a shot.

Otherwise, keep doing what you're doing and I'm sure if you stick to it, you'll build up to the entire workout - good luck.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #11  

I did Ripped In 30 on Tuesday and I'm still sore. On Wednesday I did about 45 min on my elliptical. I didn't work out Thursday and I'm not going to be able today. So I think I'll do Ripped In 30 again on Saturday. When I did it on Tuesday, I felt ok about not being able to do all the moves and keeping up. I just did what I could. I'll just keep at it and build up. I figure if I feel really sore, then I'll just concentrate on cardio until the soreness gets better and I feel like I can go at it again.

lm3898, that makes me feel better. It's so nice to know that it's completely normal to feel like I do and that it get's better. I have a Leslie Sansone dvd that I do too so I can do that one if I'm too sore. I like Denise Austin too. My mom used to workout to her videos when I was little.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #12  

I was thinking about getting Jillian's new Body Revolution, but I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't get it until I can try to work out consistently for a couple of months or so. I tend to work out for a week or two then stop so I really want to give it a good go this round.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I know that we'd all like to be able to do things without ever having to modify them but my trainer told me today, "I'd rather you be able to do 10 half push-ups than 1 or 2 full push-ups". He had me doing a superset and by the second set of pushups I was really struggling so I ended up doing rather shallow ones. But I knew that if I went too low I wouldn't get back up.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 173/169/125

Height: 5'5

Well, I made it through Level 1 (did it Monday-Friday) and started Level 2 today. Not much more challenging in terms of "oh my god I'm gonna collapse" but I find the moves more complicated (or maybe I just need a few more gos to get them down). Either way, by the end of week 1 I was loving level 1. Btw, I found the nausea went away when I stopped working out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach... I think I need some fuel in me to get through a workout.

LM3898 - I am inspired by your Level 1&2 combo!! I'm going to aspire to do that once I've made it through all 4 levels.
roncygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #15  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Wooo roncygal!! Glad it's getting better for you - this stuff really just takes time and effort annnnnnd repeating!! I've been doing awesome heavy bag kickboxing at a gym recently but Sunday I did Jillian's No More Trouble Zones and it was hard again b/c I haven't done it in awhile so I was so sore yesterday even though I used to get through it much more easily when I did it a bunch, so I guess I'll be re-incorporating that into my rotation - it's a good one!

P.S. Personally I find level four of Ripped to be easier than level 3 so that's something to look forwad to haha. Good luck!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote