General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 05:52 PM   #1  

Default wedding dress question?

I found a dress on ebay for about $40 (right now...we'll see if it gets bid up at the last minute), and it's just what I want.

However, the waist is about an inch and a half too small. (The chest is right on, and the hips don't matter because it's a ballroom style gown)

Before I went away to college, it probably would have fit fine, but I've slacked on exercising since then. I'm starting on an exercise routine again (want to make 3rd black belt) and I think I'll join a gym again.

I think it seems like a reasonable goal, since any wedding would be, like, a year away, but I feel like such a dork having to exercise my way into a dress.

Anyone have advice or comments?
Old 07-30-2003, 05:54 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just do it! You have a whole year and the waist is the place that responds best to exercize. I bet you'll have to get it taken in before the wedding!
Old 07-31-2003, 07:42 AM   #3  

Ditto what Ruth said.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:13 AM   #4  
12 pounds lost in 2006

I'd try working on cardio a few times a week like walking, aerobics, swimming, etc. And also doing sit ups and toning exercises for the abs.

I agree with everyone else. You have a year so no worries
Old 08-03-2003, 01:40 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone. If you want to see the dress, here is the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2846632962
I'm still in shock that I bought it.

I'm definitely going to get a good cardio routine down. I also need to work on the eating thing, because whenever I do karate and the gym several times a week, I just inhale food (meat especially).

I can't wait until the engagement is official, so I can actually talk about marriage and weddings without feeling like a dork.
Old 08-03-2003, 09:31 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 242.5/193.4/170

Height: 5'9"

Wow, that's gorgeous! Did you get an incredible deal? Congrats!
Old 08-04-2003, 06:10 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

That is a DRESS! It is absolutely gorgeous and the price was sure right! You will be a beautiful bride with your slim waist and gown!
Old 08-13-2003, 12:41 PM   #8  

Default The Dress is here!

It came in the mail yesterday, and it is beautiful! It's dupioni silk, more of a natural white than the bright white I've seen. Everything fits perfectly, except for the arms. Luckily, the dress has huge seam allowances in the arms, so it shouldn't be a big issue.

I had heard so much about wedding dresses being sized smaller than normal clothes, that I was really scared I wouldn't be able to get it over my hips. However, I'm a 14 in regular stuff, and a 14 in the dress. I'm so happy.

My parents like the dress too. My dad got a bit surprised looking, seeing his daughter all grown up.

Thanks for your help everyone!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:41 AM   #9  

Your dress is beautiful and the wearer will be gorgeous too! My thoughts are...why not try and get whatever body parts into shape before "resizing" the dress. What's a better motivator to take off a few extra lbs and get those arms looking gorgeous!

My son just called me night before last to say he is asking his girlfriend to marry him and they are getting married next spring so this was a huge motivator to really kick butt!

Good luck to you and your future spouse and from an old married lady (31 years) this is a small piece of advice, make each other your best friends and believe me the love will just grow and grow!

Faye
Old 08-25-2003, 04:08 PM   #10  

You have a whole year!!!!! Pace yourself, and envision how great you're going to feel when you slip into gown. Who know's maybe when you have you're final fitting you'll have to have it taken in!!
Old 08-26-2003, 12:53 AM   #11  

I'm definitely going to keep exercising. Between the dress, my black belt test, and wanting to hike up Half Dome next year, I have plenty of motivation. :-)

I joined a women only gym, and it is wonderful. I highly recommend it!
Old 08-26-2003, 07:14 PM   #12  

Absolutely gorgeous dress.... I can heartily recommend all the advice given above.

My aunt made mine and the month before the final fitting she had to take the waist in 4"!!!!! she made me promise I wouldn't lose any more and even on the day it was a little loose (this was 28 years ago....)

Keep it up and please post some photos of your special day

Yo-Yo Dee
Old 10-11-2003, 05:50 PM   #13  

Default What a beautiful dress

Trixiepup!

What a beautiful dress. I just love the neckline, and the cathedral train. And at such a bargain too! You are going to be just glowing on your special day.

I am getting married next spring as well, and have harboured fears that I won't find a dress I like in my size (currently 18-20). I have a goal of being a 16 by the wedding, and your find has given me hope!

Emma
Old 10-13-2003, 03:03 PM   #14  

Emma3Jane,
There are lots of dresses out there. Get measured by a seamstress and check out ebay. The professional dress sellers usually give good measurements for their dresses. The individuals tend to be a bit more flaky. Check out David's Bridal, too. Try on some stuff and see what you like and what looks good on you. Also, try looking on craigslist.org (if there is a location for your area).

Check out the seller for my dress. I was very pleased with their service. While my dress may need pressing/steaming before the wedding, it's in great shape overall. I don't know what they have in larger sizes, but if you aren't under a deadline, you might find a good deal.

The only bad thing about getting the dress so early is that I can't tell people about it because our engagement isn't official yet. And I feel like a freak because I've bought a dress and am not engaged, so I feel like one of those women who planned their weddings at age 6 when that's not the case.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:06 PM   #15  

Wow!...You have a VERY beautiful wedding dress!...and that had to be the deal of a lifetime for you!!!...It looks very classy and expensive!! My niece is getting married in July..never thought of looking on e-bay..she is on a definite budget!
Closed Thread