General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Valentines Day....

Love it, hate it?

We've all heard that Valentines Day is a "Hallmark Holiday" but it has it's romantic aspects (IMO).

I've always been on the fence. Going from despising the entire idea when I'm single and lonely to hoping I get flowers or a card (or chocolate LOL) when I'm dating/in a relationship. For the most part, men don't really care either way, but I'm wondering what you all do for your significant others (if anything)?
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

The only reason I like valentines day is because my DH will actually spend time buying a sappy card for me. Otherwise, I do not hear the mushy stuff throughout the year.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #3  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Don't really care either way. DH and I have always low keyed that kinda stuff. I know he loves me daily, I don't need chocolate or a card. Same with previous boyfriends.

I always considered it an elementary school thing... because in my life that was when the main action was for valentine's.

But now with a elementary child I enjoy her efforts at making me cards -- they are childish and cute. And helping her with her student cards for classmates.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 02-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
But now with a elementary child I enjoy her efforts at making me cards -- they are childish and cute. And helping her with her student cards for classmates.

A.
Definitely! I completely left out the kids. I love picking out cards for my son to give out to his classmates and seeing what he makes for me and brings home from school. He's 11 now, so this might not last too long LOL
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I don't love or hate it. This year is going to be rough though. I broke up with my boyfriend of four years in June - and for good reasons - but we're constantly in talks of reconciling so that's somewhat confusing. But what's even worse is I think I'm...maybe...in love with...or just have strong feelings for...someone I can't have. It hurts. I'll be thinking of him on VD, realizing he's with someone else. At first, it hurt really bad to think of it but I've been trying to put less and less thought into it so it's not hurting quite as bad now. It'll probably hurt like **** on VD anyways though...
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 186/178.5/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammasita View Post
Love it, hate it?

We've all heard that Valentines Day is a "Hallmark Holiday" but it has it's romantic aspects (IMO).

I've always been on the fence. Going from despising the entire idea when I'm single and lonely to hoping I get flowers or a card (or chocolate LOL) when I'm dating/in a relationship. For the most part, men don't really care either way, but I'm wondering what you all do for your significant others (if anything)?
I'm with you! I've always been all "I hate valentine's day" when I'm single and hoping he thinks of me when I'm in a relationship.

This year I'm on the boo bandwagon because I just went through a recent break-up lol. But at least I recognize it for what it is My friend and I decided to have a v-day's sucks party for the two of us and have a girls night
Alicia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Oh man, I hated Valentines Day. Like HATED IT all through high school and college. In HS it was the prom fundraiser to have a carnations sale and to pass them out on Valentine's. If you didn't get one, the school would buy a yellow one and it would say "from a Secret Admirer"... So, getting the single Yellow Carnation basically meant you were a loser.

OK, so I never was a complete loser, but I only got 4-6 each year when girls with boyfriends would get TONS and the clique-ish groups would all send a gazillion. Well, I wasn't in a clique. I flitted within a few groups, but didn't really 'hang out' with any. Man... tough days.

Then in college it was all about boyfriends and I never had a boyfriend ALLLLLL through college. The guys I liked were always taken and no one else interested me... Plus, I had major insecurities and kept my distance.

Then, I met my DH and we spent our first weekend together as a couple over the Valentine's weekend. It wasn't PLANNED that way, it just happened that way and that day, V-Day was the first time we made love. So now how can it NOT be a big deal as it's a special anniversary for us as a couple?

Now we try to go out around that time, but never on Valentine's as it's insane, but some time in February we try to take an evening for us to celebrate our relationship. 19 years this year. (married for 18).

So, it's odd that this loather of Valentine's Day got it so turned around like that, but it happened.

But mainly, I think it's a day to feel miserable if you are single and don't want to be.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Oh man, I hated Valentines Day. Like HATED IT all through high school and college. In HS it was the prom fundraiser to have a carnations sale and to pass them out on Valentine's. If you didn't get one, the school would buy a yellow one and it would say "from a Secret Admirer"... So, getting the single Yellow Carnation basically meant you were a loser.

OK, so I never was a complete loser, but I only got 4-6 each year when girls with boyfriends would get TONS and the clique-ish groups would all send a gazillion. Well, I wasn't in a clique. I flitted within a few groups, but didn't really 'hang out' with any. Man... tough days.
That's OK: I never got even one—not even one from the school. I went to four high schools, so I crossed paths with ... oh... about 3,500 to 4,000 people or more at school in four years, and no one ever saw fit to give me one lousy carnation. My friends and I felt silly giving them to each other, so, yeah.... I tended to be the only person in the classroom without a carnation.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 02-09-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My wife is a floral designer and has been for the past 9 years.

My Valentine's Day consists of baking a ton of stuff to keep her and the rest of the team fueled up, working with her at the shop until midnight or later for two days prior (I can't do anything that requires design skills, but I can tie bows on arrangements, write out cards, and create routes for the delivery drivers to follow the next day, which saves time for the actually talented people to do what they do best), bringing her dinners in tupperware, and rubbing her feet at night. Oh, and if the day falls on a weekend, I usually end up delivering, too.

One year I tried to do a romantic Valentine's dinner after she got off work. She fell asleep eating it, with her fork halfway to her mouth.

Even when I was single, I was never one of the "I hate Valentines Day" folks...just never got bothered by it.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I said this in another thread, but it's just a day for my fiance and I to celebrate each other because we can never remember our anniversary. I hope that when we get married we would remember that, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone calls to remind us, haha.

We're celebrating Valentine's on the 16th, actually. We figure that it will be much easier to go out that day instead.

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-09-2012 at 11:30 PM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 PM   #11  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Valentine's Day stopped meaning anything in my relationship years ago...though the best one I had was our 2nd one together. I was away at school and was really upset we couldn't be together. When we did, he planned a nice dinner, kicked out all his housemates, and danced with me in the middle of his bedroom as he sang our song. *sigh*. Those were the days.

Now, it is about the kids. They love making out the valentines and having the party and getting something special from mommy and daddy.
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

When I was younger, VDay meant a lot to me. I wanted the flowers, card, romantic dinner, sex-by-candlelight & 80's hair band music playing softly in the background, etc. But now I'm much older (& wiser, one would hope!) & I see it as just another money-making scheme for flowers & cards & candy makers.

That said, my husband is ever-grateful that I am not a "red roses" kinda woman... I love love LOVE pink carnations! - and OMG, they're so CHEAP on VDay, when other men are out spending crazy money on red roses, my husband is at the grocery store, getting carnations for less than 10 bucks. I love a man that knows how to save money!

Last edited by Beach Patrol; 02-10-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #13  
Restart Date: 1/01/2020

S/C/G: 246.2/TICKER/140

Height: 5'4"

I only hated V-day when I was single in high school and didn't have a boyfriend. I wish they didn't do the carnation thing in high school. Its distracting and distressing to a majority of the female student body.

I've been with my husband since I started college. We don't do anything for V-day and I am completely fine with that. He treats me so well and and is loving and attentive every day of the year. I prefer that to men who treat a woman like crap every day excluding V-Day, anniversaries, and maybe X-mas when a man goes all out and buys you stuff to pacify you. (Like my father).

This year, I have made a point to sent flowers to a few of my single girlfriends at work for birthdays etc. I have never recieved flowers at work myself but am very secure and happy in my relationship. Every girl should feel special and recieve flowers at work/school once in their life!
leopardspots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I always thought Valentine's Day was a fun occasion to make ridiculous cards for people. This year I bought Justin Bieber valentines to give to coworkers and friends and will probably draw penises on them or something. I can never be serious about anything and I like holidays in general.

I remember the first V-Day I had a boyfriend, I baked him brownies and woke him up delivering them, and he was like "what's this for" and I was really upset that he'd forgotten Valentine's Day. Since then I've pretty much just celebrated by having dinner and hanging out. I secretly hope my guy does something really out there this year for me, but I'm not counting on it nor will I be too let down if he doesn't.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I always thought Valentine's Day was a fun occasion to make ridiculous cards for people. This year I bought Justin Bieber valentines to give to coworkers and friends and will probably draw penises on them or something. I can never be serious about anything and I like holidays in general.

I remember the first V-Day I had a boyfriend, I baked him brownies and woke him up delivering them, and he was like "what's this for" and I was really upset that he'd forgotten Valentine's Day. Since then I've pretty much just celebrated by having dinner and hanging out. I secretly hope my guy does something really out there this year for me, but I'm not counting on it nor will I be too let down if he doesn't.
LMAO @ penises on the Justin Bieber cards! HILARIOUS, I love your sense of humor. I actually bought my boyfriend a card with a picture of turtles "humping" on the front. He loves turtles and I couldn't resist.