Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #1  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Default Dieting and religious Judaism

This forum is an outreach to women who devote hours to preparing sabbath meals for others and then need the support to control their urge to eat unhealthy amounts of that food.
we are obligated to eat bread on the sabbath, but how do we prevent ourselves from eating 4 servings in one sitting?
I used to enjoy the quite hours after my family finished the meal on friday night and then i would eat challah, drink wine and dessert and just unwind.
As I cleared the dishes I would have a little extra taste of this and that.
I have given up on losing control. I have asked Hashem to give me strength and I have been praying hard.

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 02-07-2012 at 03:22 PM.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #2  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I try to plan exactly what I am going to eat Friday night and Saturday and stick to it.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #3  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

lucinda, my perspective might be an unpopular one... but I don't think you should give up on the way you enjoy the Sabbath, even if that celebration is centered in part around the enjoyment of food and drink. Maybe instead of curtailing your intake on Friday nights to the point where your enjoyment of that time is decreased, a better option could be making your weight loss plan a little more strict during the rest of the week so that you have more "wiggle room" on Friday nights. Or, keep your intake especially light during the day on Friday so that you can truly enjoy the food, wine and time with your family after sundown without any worry or guilt.

Just a thought.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Good advice chickadee 32. I do try to curtail my intake during the week. I do enjoy a glass of wine for kiddush and I do eat challah for Motzie. But I have to waych myself b/c i tend to cheat so much on Shabbes that I can undo all my hard work. Like right now I just had a serving of the soup I am serving tonight. So now I must tell myself to be satisfied b/c i have already consumed my calories for the day.
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote