Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/256.8/115

Height: 4'11"

Default Anyone with Kidney Disease?

I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease that developed as a complication of my spina bifida. As a result, I also have hypertension (I've had it since I was 6).

I can't do a low-carb diet, as my doctor says 50 to 55 percent or so of my diet should come from carbs and I should only be eating 15 to 20 percent protein. I'm fortunate that my kidney blood work is always pretty good, so I don't need to limit potassium or phosphorus at this time.

I'd love to hear tips and stories from anyone who has the same condition.
medigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #2  

I do not have kidney disease.

But it seems to me that something like Weight Watchers, or post-introductory-phase South Beach, would be compatible with the carb/protein/fat breakdown you need.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/126/115

Height: 5'5"

I have total failure in my left kidney. I was born with a defect, it was 'fixed' as a baby with a bypass.. now it is dead and rotten! Urologist wants to remove it but I can't do the 3 mths down time.

Anyways, my right kidney is good, but I suffer from constant infections, plus I have stones.

To be honest I don't pay much attention to it in regards to my diet. I absolutely should though..
SammyPajammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

My sister has kidney issues, they said it might have been caused by a urinary tract infection gone horribly crazy or that it may be hereditary. I believe it's called Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis. It's a type of glomerulonephritis that can cause nephrotic syndrome and other kidney disease. She ended up on dialysis. Four years ago she had a transplant (my left kidney) and she's been doing well ever since. She is on a lot of medication and after speaking to her she said they recommend a mostly vegetarian diet, too much meat can lead to too much protien in the urine. She's very happy and healthy, hiking and eating right. Good luck!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/256.8/115

Height: 4'11"

Vixxi, I'm sorry about your sister's condition. I am trying to keep myself off of dialysis, which is why I am focusing so much on diet. Because of where I am now, I can eat meat, but it's good to have vegetarian meals a few times per week. I can always tell when I've had more meat than I should, as my blood work will show more creatinine. Sammy -- I can understand not being able to take three months off. I have bilateral damage, so they can't just remove one bad kidney and let the other one work. I have about 20 percent damage in one kidney and 50 percent damage in the other, so I'd be left with one kidney that only functions at half capacity!
medigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:44 AM   #6  

Medigal,

I also have stage 3 chronic kidney failure. My GFR runs around 40, but it is slowly getting worse. For those of you who don't know, that means my kidneys work at about 40% today. I went on the Atkin's diet (and felt great) but I happened to get bloodwork at that time and my GFR dropped to 26. My nephrologist said NO Atkin's dieting. I had no idea!

Mine is the result of many years taking Vioxx and Celebrex, so make sure you monitor kidney function if you take Celebrex today. Vioxx was taken off the market a few years ago. I sure wish I could take my Celebrex because the aches and pains were definitely less when I took it. Now I just live in constant pain from my joints, bursitis and possible fibromyalgia.

Still trying to find a diet that works. I was on a diet and went to the gym (I'm a swimmer) consistently for 15 months and only lost 30 pounds. I just couldn't do much more that that, and I was exhausted, so I quit and now have gained it all back. I am so tired of being this size.

Hugs to you all!
cragots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/198/125

Height: 5'6"

Default Esrd

Hello!
I also have ESRD. I currently have 0% function in my left kidney and less than 50% function in my right. I take 3 meds for my BP due to my kidneys not being able to regulate. I found out when I was in high school (when I was super skinny) and have had to alter my sodium intake greatly.
I noticed I was gaining a ton of weight after HS when I was in college due my improper diet. Now I am overweight and need to get back in shape and go back to only taking one med or possibly none at all. I also ended up having so much stress that I developed Bells Palsy on my right side. I am currently recovering from this..

These are my tips:

-Count the sodium content.. I have to stay under 2000 mg a day. Everything counts! I attempt to stay away from fast food since it has a horrendous amount of sodium.

- I limit Caffeine and alcohol
- I limit protein (since I leak protein in my urine.. )
- A vegetarian diet is best.. However I can not quite get rid of meat.. not fully. I do incorporate many meatless meals for the week.
- I also take supplements. Prescribed are Vit D.
-Limit your stress!!!!

I am hoping to maintain my kidney function so I will not have to go on dialysis. It is extremely difficult to alter your lifestyle .. as I myself fall of the wagon.. but I know that I really need to stick with this and live!
Best wishes.
jlariccia is offline   Reply With Quote