Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #1  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default The tickers here depress me sometimes.

I really like reading these boards, and I know it's dumb, but sometimes I see people's tickers high weight starting at like 160 or 180 and it depresses me.

I read about how they talk about how super fat they and it just makes me think, "why the heck didn't I start THEN instead of now." or holy cow, if they are saying they're huge at 170 I must be freaking enormous. I can't even imagine getting to where they are now.

I know it's silly, but it still makes me feel blah sometimes, and I'm sure people well over my weight probably think the same thing about me.

Maybe it's just because it's snowy, cold, and cloudy outside today that put me in this mindset - but does anyone else ever think that?

Last edited by Vex; 02-07-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I definitely agree sometimes. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the 100 lb club. You guys KNOW what this is like. By the time we are the weight we are, our metabolisms are broken, perhaps for good. Someone who is "only" 30-50 pounds overweight (though of course it seems like a huge issue for them) don't have some of the same issues and struggles that we do. Granted, some of it is very similar, and I have learned a LOT from folks who have less to lose than I do. But I still come back here, because there are just some things that I won't discuss or vent about in other forums.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #3  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I have those thoughts sometimes when I read someone who's 160 talking about how 'huge' and 'disgusting' they are. My knee-jerk reaction is always, "Wow, what must they think of me?" But then I remind myself that they're not thinking of me at all, that it's all relative, and they have a right to feel just as bad about themselves as they want (even if they are nearly at my goal weight.)

Sometimes it works. Other times, not so much. The tl;dr version of all that is: I hear you! And I'm doing this for the second time, so it's even *more* depressing this time around.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I do wish I'd started sooner.

But I don't internalize other people's body rants. I don't think taking that on board would help me any. So "what must they think of me?" isn't something I think about. I really don't think they are thinking about me -- they are caught up in a rant.

I do sometimes think "How old are you?" because in some of the rants they strike me as younger than me. But then there are those here older than me too. It's going to be a mixed bag. Weight loss is so personal.

A

Last edited by astrophe; 02-07-2012 at 02:44 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #5  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

My weight gain this time came in two very distinct phases of about 50 lbs each. I was just a bit heavier than I am now at the end of phase 1 and it's odd because I feel much thinner now but then I felt like I was all kinds of a slovenly slug. I am working out more so I think I might be smaller than I was at this weight before and I, too, think 'wow, if I'd started from here I'd be done now!". There's a girl right now on the Biggest Loser who used to be a competitive weight lifter and it's killing her that she can't do what she used to do. Bob told her, 'you are this girl, right now' and he's right! I try to look at the ways this journey MORE than my previous and smaller journeys is making me a stronger, more 'together' person and becoming an integral part of who I am. It's hard to look at the bright side sometimes and I get as freaked and overwhelmed as everyone else, and that's why, like others have said, I come here to vent around people who get it! <3
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #6  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Default re:

That's true about being the person you are right now. I was just having a depressed moment I guess. I feel better now though. More caffeine and reading you guys helped

Last edited by Vex; 02-07-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #7  
Changing my life

S/C/G: '09HW337 '11SW 314.0/266.6/155

Height: 5' 6"

Yes. They do depress me sometimes. But then I slap myself (mentally, of course) and remember that this is MY journey, not anyone else's. And then I lurk around in the featherweight threads, just to remind myself that 'skinny' people have to work really hard to keep the weight off too.

And I post in the 300+ thread a lot. Cuz they feel my pain.
rachaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

If they really bug you, change your profile. Go to User CP and select Profile Options. There is an area there where you can turn off seeing the tickers. Remember to save your changes.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I must say, I AM now one of those 160+ pounds and what a glorious thing to be here!! I do not take this weight for granted, no sir-ee.

It bothers me enormously too and always has. I hate very much to see women so disgusted with their bodies. Perhaps that notion should bleed over to all of our weights, but it makes me all the more upset when I see someone I feel is small talk about how huge they are.

I am very grateful to have been where I have because it just makes where I am now that much sweeter. I'm not at goal. I've gained 20 pounds. But I'm still very happy to be where I am.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I am very grateful to have been where I have because it just makes where I am now that much sweeter. I'm not at goal. I've gained 20 pounds. But I'm still very happy to be where I am.
When I got down to 150 and felt FANTASTIC this was exactly my attitude. It was nice to have come from where I'd been, knowing what it's like, and to know how hard I'd worked to get to where I was.

I'm frustrated by a substantial regain, sure, but now that I know exactly what I'm working toward, it makes me that much more determined to get there.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I understand how you feel, though I try not to take it too personally. As some others have said, this is the exact reason I mostly stay in this area of the forum. I even feel funny going to some other areas because I'm not experiencing what they are.

An example is the younger people threads. They have a completely different set of concerns that someone who is my age (60.). I'm not worried about a bikini body, for example. And I want to shout at them that their health is the most important part of this, not some cute boots! LOL at myself! Those are very important reasons! Just not to a 60 something woman who wishes she had done this sooner.

I feel out of place in the heavier forum, too. I think I don't relate very well to someone with more to lose than I do. I know there is wisdom to share no matter our weight. And support is always welcome. But does someone who has 200 pounds to lose look at someone with 100 to lose as a lightweight?"

Perhaps the dividing line is "obese." Anyone heavier than that has a lot in common with all others in the same boat.

I disagree with using the word "disgusting" to describe ourselves, no matter our weight When my DD was small, she had a friend who was a terribly picky eater. That friend referred to anything she didn't like as "disgusting." It upset my DD that someone would call a banana or some other food she liked by that term. The same applies here, perhaps. We are not disgusting at any weight. And if we're in here, it means we're trying to improve. That's what really matters.

Lin

Last edited by linJber; 02-07-2012 at 11:07 AM.
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I must say, I AM now one of those 160+ pounds and what a glorious thing to be here!! I do not take this weight for granted, no sir-ee.
This!!! I am so thrilled to be at the low end of the 160's. I put on a size 4 pants for the first time in my LIFE this week and am completely over the moon about it!

Yes, there are things I still want to improve: I'm not at a healthy weight yet, for example, but I feel like I'm close and I love it. It's just so nice to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

As to the OP, I hear you! it wasn't that long ago that I made a similar post to yours. I don't like hearing women going through extreme body hate. Don't get me wrong. I definitely believe that body image issues can and DO exists for all shapes and sizes but at some point it's important to learn to love yourself, love your body, and accept who your are. What I HATE is that the media doesn't embrace that and instead they continue to airbrush models and choose models that only fit one body type. I want to see more diversity in modeling so we see first that there are women that look like US (and by real women I mean non-airbrushed women!).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

I cant say that I get sad by seeing them I do however feel like I might not have much in common with them on my weight loss journey. My secretary and friend is a size 00 and her goal this year is to gain 10lbs. So supporting each other I am working on helping her gain while she is helping me lose. I must say it is interesting to realize that while I have lost 22lbs she has not gained an ounce. I imagine for those who only have a little to go it is just as hard if not harder for them to get there. They say the last 10lbs or so hang on really tight.

That said imagine what your ticker is gonna say at the end.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I definitely agree sometimes. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the 100 lb club. You guys KNOW what this is like. By the time we are the weight we are, our metabolisms are broken, perhaps for good. Someone who is "only" 30-50 pounds overweight (though of course it seems like a huge issue for them) don't have some of the same issues and struggles that we do. Granted, some of it is very similar, and I have learned a LOT from folks who have less to lose than I do. But I still come back here, because there are just some things that I won't discuss or vent about in other forums.
that's how I pretty much feel.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #15  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

It all depends on perspective. Plus, there is a lot of self loathing involved, which really has nothing to do with you, it's just how they feel about themselves. When I was 170lbs I thought I was disgusting too, and now I am almost twice that! But just because they have less to lose doesn't mean it's still not really hard. From what I know, it's actually easy to lose a lot of weight in a short amount of time if you have a lot to lose, whereas if you only have a small amount it takes longer and is harder to get rid of. Thats not to say that it's not hard to lose weight if you're larger like me - because no matter what it's difficult to change habits, change your heart/mind, etc. For the purpose of my demonstration, the "ease" is just physical... But if you don't address the mental, the physical won't happen, or it does and you end up gaining it back and sometimes more.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote