View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

I'm glad that you're in tune to your body enough to know when to mix it up. About every 6-8 weeks, you totally should.

There are several different ways to work your muscles and this is the reason.

Research different exercises. Mix up your routine by lifting heavy 3-5 sets and sometimes do light 3 sets of 20 reps. I tend to always include the same whole body lifts of squats, chest press, lunges and pull ups and then mix up different small muscle exercises or superset subsequent exercises after the main four. Challenge yourself to learn a new way to do shoulders, or do them at a different angle. Maybe even figure out a routine that uses only gravity and your body weight to do the exercises instead of weights.

Any way to mix it up is fine so long as you pay attention to your body and look for signs of overuse or other pain that may indicate your form is wrong.

Don't progress too quickly.

I think you're off to a good start considering your intuition and motivation.

Best wishes to you.

If you're wondering my expertise...I'm a degreed physical educator and former teacher, group exercise instructor, hopefully certified personal trainer (I'll know Wednesday), biggest loser competion director and I manage a gym. There are many different methods for a reason. Find your niche.

Last edited by fitness4life; 02-05-2012 at 04:14 PM.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote