General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #1  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

Default Something to say about a used car salesman

My DH is a used car dealer. I know- the first thing that pops into your head is that he's a dishonest ***. Thats what most people seem to think anyways. I cant even count the number of times that people treat him badly or get upset because they think he is trying to pull one over on them. He discloses all of the information on every car that sits on his lot. He wants to help people find a car that they'll love and be happy with. and yes- we do HAVE to make a little money. I can't think of anyone who can just work for free. In fact- he does LOSE money on a car every so often.

My husband just started his own small car dealership. He loves cars, loves to drive them, fix them.. and yes, sell them. I am blown away by the amount of people who come in and think that they are getting "ripped off" because a cigarette lighter cover is missing... or that the tires arent brand-new... or whatever else thing they can think of.

I understand that people want a nice car- so does he, but dont treat the dealer like a crook because the car is used. If you want a brand-new car, go spend the money on one... if you think the price of the car is too high, please dont ask him to stay an extra three hours after the office closes so that you can come and look at it, and then want $5,000 dollars off the price. Sure- negotiate. But I'd be a rich woman if there was that much markup in used economy cars.

Last thing- if you make an appointment for 9:30 at night, saying you'll bring in cash to the office, meaning that the dealer has to wait 4 hours after closing to sell you the vehicle, please dont just bail without a phone call. The least you can do is give some notice that you wont be showing up.

Ugh! sorry- the funny thing is that my hubby doesnt really complain about this stuff- he knows its part of the buisness. But I do hear about it and it drives me INSANE! the individual that you buy your car from is a person too- he has a wife at home who would love to eat dinner with him once in a while and for people to stop giving her a funny look when she mentions that her husband is a dealer. Yeah- there are dishonest people in the world... but please, treat people how you want to be treated.

Ok- rant over. Thanks.
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #2  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I can feel your pain, but on a smaller retail level. I work at a large clothing retail store and a woman wanted a damage discount (10%) on a jacket because it was missing the SPARE button. The other buttons were there, but the SPARE button was missing. So I told her no, it's not damaged, i can't give you the discount. I've also had people point out the TINIEST flaws on a garment (and mind you, these are cheaply made, $20 something shirts) that I honestly can't see and want a discount. Like, the thread is pulled a little bit loose or a knit sweater has a tiny snag that I fix in a few seconds by stretching the garment a bit). Or if a thread is hanging there. And I usually say no, that's just a flaw, it's not damaged. I want to yell "IT'S JUST CLOTHES, THEY'RE NOT PERFECT! THEY'LL NEVER BE PERFECT!!" If beads are falling off, if there's a small tear, the zipper is broken, I'll give you a discount. I've also had women make me call a bunch of different stores to find some cheap clearance shirt that has a minor flaw. Or they don't want one that "looks used." Or it has a return label on it. Because obviously if it was returned, that means that someone wore it and soiled it, naturally. If someone wore it, we wouldn't be selling it. They always seem to think they are being ripped off someway. I would never be that picky about a piece of clothing.

People want something for nothing, and they think that because they're shoppers, it gives them a right to be rude, nasty, and just plain awful. That's just so rotten that those people didn't show up when they said they would! Just goes to show how truly cruddy people have gotten. They don't have any integrity anymore.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #3  
IF for Life

S/C/G: 198/183/147

Height: 5'8"

I feel your pain.

I sell real estate, I wasn't involved in the big bubble, I've never hidden anything, and I work my butt off, but people still have a really negative opinion of the profession (some of it is legit).

You have to develop a thick skin in business and work really hard for your clients and customers. I have found that once they get to know you and trust you that their attitudes change. I won't work with people who treat me badly - usually those people can't make a decision anyway. Life is too short.

It's very frustrating, but once your husband establishes his credibility and people get to know him, he will be fine.

Hang in there.
Sounds like he has what it take to be a success.
Italiannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Height: 5'6

I am so sorry that people treat him this way. It is sad, really. I get it though-I see it everyday. I am a cashier and many people are great to me, but 2-3 times a day, I come across a person who is not, who goes out of their way to say mean things to me, or to degrade me. People imply that I am stupid because I do this job, and let me tell you, that just isn't so. I just needed a flippin' job. However, those nice ones make it so worth it. I bet that can also be the case for hubs. Feel grateful for those considerate folks that make his job easier at times, because I bet those folks feel grateful for such a hardworking salesman.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #5  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

People are just a$$holes, I have no faith in humanity anymore.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen View Post
People are just a$$holes, I have no faith in humanity anymore.
Me neither. At my store we have that "wear red" and get a 20% discount, or donate $2 to the American Heart Association. Well this one guy had a piece of red tape taped to his wrist and wanted his discount. My coworker told me this and I would have said "It has to be an article of clothing, sir" and refused it. What a total jerk. It's for a good cause too! Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but its' for the AHA! People think they can get away with *everything*. We've had people switch out tags to get more money back, and flat-out demand that we give them more money back than what they paid! I imagine the same goes for cars... demanding money off because of literally no reason.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #7  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit bear View Post
Me neither. At my store we have that "wear red" and get a 20% discount, or donate $2 to the American Heart Association. Well this one guy had a piece of red tape taped to his wrist and wanted his discount. My coworker told me this and I would have said "It has to be an article of clothing, sir" and refused it. What a total jerk. It's for a good cause too! Ordinarily I wouldn't care, but its' for the AHA! People think they can get away with *everything*. We've had people switch out tags to get more money back, and flat-out demand that we give them more money back than what they paid! I imagine the same goes for cars... demanding money off because of literally no reason.
It's very true, people demand so much, they'll even rip off charities because they can't be bothered, because they think their needs are so much more important. People are just plan old rude. It was like the day I went into a macdonalds and people were complaining because there service was too slow...well no one asked you to be here. They even have to the nerve to be rude to some 15 year old who's just making a little extra cash after school. It's disgusting. You don't like the service when their clearly short staffed maybe go home and cook your own meals then! Same with Car's if it's not the car you want don't buy it. You want something brand new go by a friggen brand new vehicle from a dealer, don't waste someone else's time!
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #8  

my dad was a used car salesman. Most honest man I know. People don't realize how narrow the profit margin is on these things.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote