Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/260/150

Height: 5'11

Default Is this normal?

I started my weight loss journey a week ago. I've been working out everyday for 1-2 hours a day, and I'm restricting my calories to 1500 a day when I was previously consuming well over 2000.

Today, I weighed myself for the first time since I began, and I was shocked to be told that I've gained 7 lbs.

This is so discouraging, and I want to ask if it's normal. I've been told that my body needs time to adjust and so right now it's trying to keep everything it can inside, but at the same time I've also been told that in the beginning weight practically falls off and then slows down later on.

Help!!!!
EricaNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

Many people find that they retain water when they start working out (or resume working out after a long hiatus). You should also evaluate the foods you're eating to make sure they're not too high in sodium, which could be causing you significant water bloating. If you're PMSing, on your period, or at any other part of your cycle which usually causes bloating, that is also a likely culprit.

Also, it may sound silly, but are you strictly logging and counting those calories? Many people increase their consumption when they begin to work out because they feel they "deserve" it or because they're simply hungrier than usual.

I'm sure other posters will have other ideas about what your scale is telling you, but whatever the cause, don't give up!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Another 'silly' question: did you weigh yourself under the same conditions today that you did last week? If you weighed yourself during the day, the food and drink in your system are being 'counted' as your weight. (I recommend weighing in the morning, after the bathroom, before food, nekkid!)
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #4  

I've been keeping a pretty strict calorie log. I haven't thought about the possibility of the foods I'm eating being high in sodium. Do you have any suggestions for yummy healthy foods that are low in sodium?

I'm also on my period, so that's more than likely the culprit.

I did weigh myself around the same time of day, but it was around 5 PM, which is probably the worst time I could pick.

Thanks, ladies.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #5  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Your period, plus working out fairly extensively? Yeah, I'd say that's exactly what happened. Inflammation from hormones and muscle repair equals crazy water retention. Keep doing what you're doing, give it six weeks, and I'd be shocked if you aren't down 8-10 pounds from your start weight.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I think weighing yourself at 5:00 may not be the best idea. Just as DietVet suggested - I weigh in the morning, after potty, before food, wearing the same thing every time (nothing.) Anything other than that will be impacted by what and when you ate during the day. TOM has a lot to do with it, too.

Try AM weigh ins and keep a daily log for a couple months and see what fluctuations occur at certain times of the month. It will help you see the natural pattern you body follows. Good luck. It sounds like you have the process under control. Keep up the good work.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #7  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

I agree with the girls above. I've been weighing myself everyday (I need to stop doing it...becoming obsessive). When I weigh myself in the morning after I pee I show a weight loss, but if I weigh myself again that night after I've eaten dinner or even before I show as much as a 2 lb weight gain! And the next morning? I'm back down to what I was the morning before, if not a few points lower!
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #8  

Thank you, everyone.

I do feel better about it now. I just need to take your advice and make a few adjustments (watch my sodium, don't expect weight loss on my period, weigh myself at the right time, etc.)

I appreciate the advice!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

First of all, let me just say that you look gorgeous in your photo. With your height you should be able to model once you lose some weight!

It doesn't seem quite right that you would gain so much weight early on if you're restricting your calories that much. Did you weigh yourself on the same scale, same time of day, same clothes (or no clothes)? What do you mean when you say you were shocked "to be told" you gained 7 pounds? Didn't you look at the scale yourself?

All I can say is that if you continue doing what you've been doing this week, the weight WILL come off. As some people say on this board, trust the process.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote