Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default FEBRUARY running!

Sorry for the delay everyone, busy busy busy today!

So here it is - February's running thread. Come share your milage, questions, experiences - we want to hear it all! We don't care about distance or pace - if you run, you're a RUNNER!

I did a quick 4 miler this morning. Lower milage today in preparation for Sunday's big 20 mile run! I'm so excited! It will me my longest run to date and indicates the peak in my marathon training. I do have one more 20 miler planned, so it's a long peak!

Good run today, nothing too exciting to report. Doing well with my food this week, trying to keep the deficit to a minimum so I have plenty of fuel for Sunday's run. I'll probably pull it up to full blown maintenance cals Friday and Saturday.

That's it for me today - happy running everyone!

Last edited by ncuneo; 02-01-2012 at 03:41 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #2  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the new thread ncuneo!

I'll repost my message from earlier today:

PaintedButterfly: I only recently started running but I don't always take rest days between runs. Only life gets in the way so often I do. Not because I believe it necesary though.

--
I want to thank you guys for helping me on my way with running. Ever since I quit the c25k I feel a bit lost and on my own. Haha. I try and google stuff, but I prefer just simple help from people who have been where I am at.

Like I said the other day after I ran my first 2miler, I did a 2.5mile today in 27 minutes. It's a bit slower than my 2mile run because you guys advised me to maybe slow down some. I found it VERY hard to slow down. I felt like I went very slow but the difference is really small. I still run an average of 11min/mile. I did not have any pains from my previous run and during running I don't get uncomfortable either.

I got a heartrate monitor today and been figuring it out somewhat. During the run I tried to keep my heartrate below 180 - only near the end it started creeping up to 185-187. I know it's rather high but even when I slowed down and paid good attention to my breathing it stayed that way.

So any tips on how to slow down without feeling like I am walking are welcome. And what should I look for as signs that I am overdoing it?

Thanks in advance! And keep it up you gals!

--
Update: Just did a short practice run, a 1.2mile in 14.40 minutes. That's an average of 1mile/12min. I paid super good attention to slow pace, kept my heartrate between 160-170. I think I got the hang of this a bit slower running now. Hihi.

Last edited by philana; 02-02-2012 at 05:55 AM.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 151/142/130

Height: 5ft 9

Thought I'd reply here in the new thread
Thanks for the input ncuneo and philana. Wow you do a lot ncuneo! Atm I'm just doing the running 3 times a week and hill walking every day (but I walk more on the days I'm not running). I guess it would make sense to include some exercise that doesn't just use my legs! My legs are killing me today . I'm trying out stretching before running (I do a walking warm up already) and hoping that will help.
Does anyone use a pedometer? I just got one and I'm planning on working my way up to 10000 steps a day but I don't know if it'll work when I'm running too or if that's cheating (probably is :P).. I guess I could mess around and change the stride length but I'm having difficulty getting it to measure accurately just when walking :\ I can't get a consistent stride length it seems lol

Last edited by PaintedButterfly; 02-02-2012 at 09:24 AM.
PaintedButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #4  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Migraine today NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ncuneo--

so you have 2 20 milers? when is the second one? and when is your marathon (in comparison to that second one?)

Im going to warn you straight out..... your first 20 miler is going to SUCK. SUCK BADLY. Suck so much that you will doubt your ability to run another 10K further..... Im not trying to discourage you you WILL DO IT. Youll be fine--> but the doubts will still be there.

My whole point:
#1) ive been staying out of the disscussions about pace and long runs when training for fulls and halfs becuz i didnt want to *start* anything, but here's whats up.... YES, its *technically true* that your long runs are *supposed* to be anywhere from 60-90 min/mile slower than goal race pace. BUT, and i stress BUT, you dont have a goal race pace, is that correct? you just want to finish, and you really only have "1" pace anyway, when youre running longer distances, correct? im talking about you personally Jen. I believe in the go slower to go further motto, and i definitely think that you should, on THIS FIRST 20 miler.
HOWEVER, the running slower on long training runs is really advisable for people who are going to "RACE" the marathon.... or at least "race" themselves..... someone who is highly trained, with different paces in their pockets they can pull out any day-- doesnt necessarily mean a competitive or professional runner, but a more advanced one. The reason their long runs are slow is because they tear up their bodies so much when they race long at race pace, that they cant afford the training time it takes to recover. A "newbie" to these long distances, on the other hand.... its just... DIFFERENT.

You cant TRAIN for 20 miles at a 12 minute/mile than "magically" expect to pull out a 10 min/mile on the big day.... YA RIGHT. a seasoned runner--> different story. EVEN I feel uncomfy NOT doing my long runs at goal pace, or at least the 2nd half of the run at goal pace. Sometimes i do. Sometimes i even make them LA Threshold runs. But i reserve some long runs FOR goal pace, because it builds confidence... just like that "half-mary" you just did in training, KWIM?

My ADVICE to You: do this 20 miler slower--> ONLY to guarentee you finish it. Then do your second one, at the pace you "expect" to run the marathon at. Your NORMAL PACE-- or at least the 2nd 10 miles of it and above ALL, if at ALL POSSIBLE, can you get another 20 miler in before the big day? (thats why i first asked about the timing of your 2nd 20 miler and the marathon). You dont need a month to taper, IMO. Thats more for, once again, people who are RACING the race..... two/three weeks is adequate time to taper, and believe me, the confidence and endurance you gain from doing a third 20 miler, will be priceless

other runners will give you advice "straight from the book". I am trying to give you practical advice.
if you can get in 3 20 mile training runs, by the time you do the marathon you will be so comfortable with the distance, it will literally be cake. My first was.. BECAUSE I DID THREE 20 mile training runs ( and lots and LOTS of LA Threshold training).

So, im ready for the storm of dissaproval on my advice now
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Philana-
may i ask why you are converned with your HR staying within a certain range on your runs? Does it matter? Are you UNABLE to finish your runs because your HR is so high? Or were you told/read somewhere to keep it in a particular range?
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #7  
say what?

mkroyer - I just use it as a means of slowing down some. I was running rather fast and my heartrate was up in a range that to me seems high (180-190). I did my first longer than 8minutes run this week (2miles) and the other day 2.5 miles. I finished them both relatively easy. But I am very bad at really listening to my body. I ran them quite fast also.

Looking at my heartrate helped me figure out wether I was running slower than the last time. But if you have a better way for me to keep myself paced then I'd like to hear it. I'm sure i'll notice eventually if I keep going too fast but I rather not reach the point where I am no longer enjoying myself.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #8  
Calorie Counter

Well I started week two of couch to 5K and did the first one in the dark across frozen solid fields in bright moonlight which was fantastic. The ground was so crunchy under foot
I've got to say I think comparatively this week is easier than the first week even though it feels a bit daunting going up the 30 seconds to 90 (haha all you marathon runners must think this so bizarre lol) because there's then a 2 minute walking period I reckon it's easier

So what I'm saying if you're a C25Ker and on the first week and thinking bloody **** I'm never going to be able to do this- hang on in there. It gets easier
Old 02-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I just did day 2 of Couch to 5K!

I had tried it once before, in the heat of summer on a day when I biked and swam and then tried to run on a track at high noon. Yeah, not so much....

Also, I'm doing trail running since I feel at home on trails and they seem gentler on my legs. I really like it, even though I think I get a bit of exercise induced asthma (wheezy and tight, not just winded.) I'm joining a gym that my friends belong to so I can do a couple of treadmill runs a week and I'll see if it makes a difference in the breathing being inside instead of out in the cold.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #10  
Closet health nut!

MK - so my first 20 is this weekend, then the rest of the runs go 16, 12, 20, 12, 8, RACE (March 18th).

So probably no room for a 3rd 20. Although I could probably go 20, 16, 20, 16, 20, 8 then race, but I don't think I'm comfortable with that at this point.

I will being doing a second full, I already know it, and I've already picked out my next training program and it does have 3 20s in it, so I'll get there.

I think your pace advice is sound advice and I've actually kinda of been doing that, basically just practicing doing a negative split on my LRs.

As far as my first 20 sucking...I'll keep you posted LOL. I'm not convinced, this training has been going so well that I'm staying really positive. My 18 miler was AMAZING, and I did a negative split on that run. I've been really honing in on my fueling, hydrating and pacing strategies and I think it's really transformed my running and my confidence. That's not to say that I'm not going to be doubtful after the 20 that I'll be able to go for another 10k

I apologize for not having time right now to address the other posts, but I'm under a HUGE deadling and gotta run!

Spin class and strength training tonight, 6 mile speed run tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #11  
say what?

Just ran 2.2 miles through 3inches of snow. It was so awesome! Hihi. I felt like I could have gone longer, but was out in the cold for 29minutes and figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. Was good practice on my ankles too. Hihi.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #12  
Calorie Counter

Philana that sounds gorgeous . I wish we had snow here. We just have freezing temperatures and a lot of ice but they reckon we might get snow at the weekend.

Seagirl high five fellow C25Ker! I get mild exercise asthma too.. seems to be worst when running frustatingly. One thing that I've found that helps is to concentrate on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.. so in through my nose for three, then out through my mouth for three. Somehow that seems to help. I think the cold weather makes it worse too . I've seen recommendations to wear a scarf over your nose and mouth to basically warm the air up and it's supposed to help but I just can't imagine running like that :|
Old 02-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #13  
say what?

Did another run in the snow today, we (the dog and me) did 2.6 miles in 32 minutes. Would have been less had we not been hold up by all the dogowners and kids on sleds. Lol.

A picture of the scenery for those interested:

Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintedButterfly View Post
Philana that sounds gorgeous . I wish we had snow here. We just have freezing temperatures and a lot of ice but they reckon we might get snow at the weekend.

Seagirl high five fellow C25Ker! I get mild exercise asthma too.. seems to be worst when running frustatingly. One thing that I've found that helps is to concentrate on breathing in through my nose and out through my mouth.. so in through my nose for three, then out through my mouth for three. Somehow that seems to help. I think the cold weather makes it worse too . I've seen recommendations to wear a scarf over your nose and mouth to basically warm the air up and it's supposed to help but I just can't imagine running like that :|
Thanks. I'm going to try the scarf tomorrow when I run outside. I went to the gym with my friends today and did Cto5K on the treadmill. I didn't like it as much because I was constantly hitting the up and down buttons for the speed instead of just being able to change my stride. And it was so hot! but I liked being with my friends so that was good. My lungs felt better with the warm air, though.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #15  
Closet health nut!

Sounds like you guys are doing so great with c25k!

Just guzzled down my half cup of coffee and my half bagle with PB. I usually put a banana on it too, but I just picked them up from the store and they are too green...my eating went ok Firday and yesterday so I don't think any of that will be an issue on today's run, but I wasn't as "clean" and on plan as I like to be. However, I wasn't an all out piggy so any additional cals should just fuel me. My only concern is that I haven't slept that well the last 3 nights...so I'm hoping that I've gotten enough rest to pull this off. I kinda want to go back to bed right now...but am contemplating maybe another half cup of coffee instead...I have 90 mins before go time so I should be in the clear if you KWIM

Got my GUs out a ready, trying not to be too pissed that I'll be consuming 400 cals in gel today...that's a freakin' meal! So...20 miles...I can't quite wrap my head around it...it's not too overwhelming because it is only 2 more miles than 18, which I've already conquered, but still...anyway, gonna get that extra cup of coffee and get ready...what to wear, what to wear.