Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #1  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

Default Sooo. I just have some things I'd like to talk/vent about.

Sorry for the diary entry, y'all! lolol

The good stuff first! I don't give myself a lot of credit or compliments at all. I have been doing so good these last two weeks starting out. And it's kind of effortless. I'm not saying there aren't times where I'm tested or that I'm craving something really bad, but I kind of overlook all of that and look at the big picture. I think I'm so sick and disgusted at the way I've become that this is gonna be a way of living for me, albeit differently.

I've been getting up at 6:30 and doing the walking, except for Tuesday. I was being so lazy that I slept in until I had to get up for work. But guess what? I made myself walk when I got home which I absolutely HATED. So, I woke up today at 6:30 and I walked. And for a couple of seconds, hopefully close to a minute I jogged. It wasn't much, but it was more than I've ever done.

When I tried to lose weight other times I'd make up excuses of why I could cheat or why a couple, three, four, five hundred bites were okay so long as I still said I was on a diet and I turned it around the next day. Only for a couple days to pass until I gave up completely. I can't feel that coming on.

I'm drinking water. I'm eating vegetables. I'm watching my portions, and paying attention to calories. I'm saying no to people asking me if I want snacks or candy that I know at this point in time if I say yes, it'll never be no. It will continue to be yes, until I fall off again, and I'm not doing that.

I come to this site religiously. I post, or I read and read if I'm really feeling kind of like I want to do something bad, until the feelings gone.

And I think it's easier for me this way, because I know things aren't off limits, just smaller portions, and when I feel like I won't binge on them.

The only thing I won't give up is diet coke. I know...I know. But I'm still losing with it, and sometimes we just have to have that one thing that we won't give up just for us.

Anyway, I know this is long, but I don't really have anyone to share these things with.

Okay, so I went to the store...by passed all the junk. I only went for a couple of things, and it wasn't easy, but I did it. I looked longingly all of the cookies, and the ice cream, and I went for the carrots and the yogurt.

Also, I loooooove milk. But I know the calories and things that come with it and I can't stomach skim milk. So I bought vanilla almond milk just to try. And I'm glad that I didn't get regular almond milk, because it would've been too strong. But this is subtle enough, and seems milky enough for me to tolerate long term. So yay for that!

These are small accomplishes, but I don't think anyone knows how big they are.

Anyway, on to the venting. I work with three girls in our department. I work in a call center. They've been really encouraging and supportive of my decision to lose weight. I talk to them sometimes when it's been getting hard. However, we were talking the other day...and for some reason they thought it was okay to tell me how small I should get. They asked me how much I was trying to lose, instead of saying how much, I said I wanted to get down to a size 10-12 and then think about it when I get there. They immediately were like, "oh, no, no that's why too small for you. You should get down to like a 14 or 16 and be happy there". I know they didn't mean it in a mean way, and they feel like they're looking out for me, but I was put off. Who are you to tell me how small I should get? That's for me. I'm losing the weight. I'm doing this for me, no one else. They're both sizes 14 and 18...and I don't really know what it was about, but I didn't like it.

Losing weight is definitely a roller coaster of emotions. And anyone who isn't losing weight doesn't know how hard it really is.

Last edited by watchoutforthatcar; 02-01-2012 at 09:06 PM.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #2  
Getting smaller everyday

oops. double posted.

Last edited by watchoutforthatcar; 02-01-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #3  

Vent away. Sometimes you just have to get it out of your head. Then you can let it go and watch it fly away like a bird...
val30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #4  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

It sounds like your doing a fantastic job of sticking with your plan! Be kind to yourself. You deserve those compliments and credit for the great choices and effort that you're putting in.

As for your co-workers, maybe they see that your committed to losing this weight and feel insecure about the possibility of you becoming smaller than they are. I've read over and over on these boards that many women feel better when they have a friend/relative/co-worker that's bigger than they are.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<The only thing I won't give up is diet coke. I know...I know. But I'm still losing with it, and sometimes we just have to have that one thing that we won't give up just for us.>>

I totally agree. My own nonnegotiables are a glass of wine with dinner and the occasional all-you-can-eat sushi dinner.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

BIG HUGS....I too won't give up diet drinks. It's either that or a Snickers....I'm just saying

People are telling me the same thing...don't get smaller than a 14. My MOM...who I absolutely adore....said that under 14 would be to low. My 6'2" model friend who weighs MAYBE 110 pounds told me to stop losing when I was a fitting 18W. I think since they've seen me at my heaviest, they really believe that any smaller size would be great.

Last edited by free1; 02-01-2012 at 10:49 PM.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #7  
Getting smaller everyday

OhThePlaces -- Thank you! I too was wondering that. They were so adamant about it that it felt like they just didn't want me to get smaller than them.

freelancemomma -- As long as we don't over indulge I think it's fine. Am I going to sit here and knock back 6 cans in a day like I could've done before...no! But a glass I want to drink whenever I feel should be up to me. I buy 2 liters now, just because I can become verrrry unaccountable with cans.

free1 -- Definitely think diet coke is better for us than Snickers! I can't/don't want to imagine how many calories I've racked up on sweets in the past years. She's 110 but telling you to get to 18W? How is that at all fair? lolol Nobody has ever seen me small, ever! I've always been big. If I want to get down to a size 6 I will! I don't think I would ever want to get that low...I really enjoy having curves, and 10 is doable for me. I feel like 10 is doable and achievable for me. I can still shop in whatever store I want, and still look good. I say we get the lowest for ourselves, and stop worrying about what everyone else says. My momma is no longer alive...but she just wanted me to be happy.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #8  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

In my opinion, very few women should stop losing weight at a size 16. Most women would still be considered overweight and have a high BMI wearing a size 16. I think they probably said that because 1) They don't want you becoming smaller than them and 2) because they can't picture you smaller and probably think that you are unable to do it. They probably don't realize that they feel that way.

However, it is very possible for you to get to whatever size of pant you want! You might end up loving a size 14 or you might end up getting to a size 10 and than find out that with your body, a size 8 would be better!

I would just let their comments roll of your shoulders and keep on doing what your doing. I've lost like 5 pounds and am still wearing a size 13 (a very chunky 13, I have rolls and muffin top from **** since I have very little muscle from living on my couch) and people tell me "omg you've gotten so skinny, you should eat more". It's very annoying. Good luck!!!!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 239/200/130-140

Height: 5'8.5"

So, I tend to be a glass is half full kind of person, and I always assume the best from people. I'm not always right, but, it admittedly makes me happier to feel that people are innately good.

With that said- I think they were trying to be encouraging in their own way. They've probably tried and failed at weightloss before (what woman hasn't, really) and are afraid of you falling prey to overwhelming expectations. Take it as a sign of concern, feel flattered that they are concerned, and keep doing what you're doing!
SouthLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:21 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

You are doing amazing

Don't let your coworkers discourage you, but be aware of the fact that they might get a little uneasy about you possibly getting smaller than them. Just realize that only YOU should decide where you feel comfortable stopping.

It might be best to NOT discuss your goal with with them (just say something like "well I haven't decided yet" if they ask you) and just discuss actual weight loss if they are supportive that way.

Also I haven't given up diet coke either! Haha I refuse to That and pizza... and Wendy's chicken nuggets!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #11  
Getting smaller everyday

Thanks you guys! From this point on I'm going to keep these things to myself (my weight loss and discussion to my coworkers). I've put in my head that people think that I can't do it (including myself), and that's giving me a lot of motivation right now.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one not giving some things up! Lolol I've read all over this board where people are giving up soooo many things, and I think how is this possible?! My brain can not compute it at all. I'm so envious of them, but I can't cut out everything.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #12  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Yeah, don't worry about the diet coke. I drink diet mt. dew like a fiend. Eventually I'll make that commitment to give it up, but that isn't now.

I'd have to agree with some people when they say maybe they're trying to be encouraging and its just not coming across that way.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #13  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I think it's a myth that you NEED to give things up to lose weight. Granted it's much different if you have an issue with some foods (i.e. you can't eat a reasonable amount or you binge when exposed to it) but for a lot of us if we eat it occasionally and watch how much we consume, then we're ok.

I still get sideways glances from people who know I lost a lot of weight when I suggest going to Wendy's or want some pizza. Throughout my weight loss I had to hear from my fiance's parents that I was on a diet, how could I eat pizza? well when you eat it reasonably, you're fine. I've learned to savor the taste of my food and eat smaller portions. I can still enjoy myself while meeting my goals

Because sometimes, dammit, you just want a burger and fries.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #14  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

In order to lose weight I have to give up pretty much everything except spinach and chicken breast, so I envy those of you who can lose without being that extreme! Having said that, just keep in mind as you start to feel better that soda is really terrible for our bones.

I can drink Diet Coke and lose weight, and I love and miss it, don't get me wrong, but whenever I'm tempted I think about my mom showing signs of osteoporosis and make the choice not to take the chance. Just some food for thought. You're doing awesome, though, and the girls at work are just afraid you're actually going to succeed.

I got the same thing at my job the first time I lost weight. I'm sure some of them are secretly thrilled that I gained a bunch of it back. This time around I know what to do to keep that from happening, though, so they're just going to have to suck it up.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 268/181/160

Hey, watchoutforthatcar, I am a KY girl as well . Anyway, I also won't give up my diet soda either. That's the only thing I said I wasn't giving up, and I've lost 68lbs. I work at Wal-Mart in my town, and I have had some of the girls I work with say some things to that effect. At a size 16, I am smack dab in the middle of the size range that most of the cashiers fit into. I keep to myself most of the time, but I do have a few girls there that I talk to regularly. It can be frustrating. Don't worry though, they probably aren't meaning to sound like they did. In any case, you are doing an amazing job!

Last edited by fatferretfanatic; 02-02-2012 at 09:36 AM.
fatferretfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote