Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default Signed up for a 10k

oh boy. Another woman on the obesity help website had a post about signing up for a local 10k. I thought that sounded like a good idea because I used to love jogging way back when and I thought that this would be a good motivator to really get my butt moving. So I'm happy that I've done this but a little worried that I am in over my head. Yikes!! oh well, I'm in now. We are going to be on-line training buddies as we don't live close enough to get together. I bought a treadmill last week and have been on it practically every day. I have to work up to jogging at least 6 miles in the next few weeks and then I have a 10 week training program for completing a 10k. Oh did I mention this is on April 29th???
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

kinda surprised you, didn't it??? But good for you! At one point, i entered a 5K walk/run, with a dog and a 10 year old. needless to say, we finished dead last, BUT WE FINISHED! And that was the greatest accomplishment.

you'll be fine. just be sure to watch your knees.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:20 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

Good for you! I second Jiffy's advice about the knees. I got a little carried away with Zumba and am taking a few days off to recover. I didn't pull or harm anything, but I could feel that they were being overtaxed and the last thing I wanted was an injury.

It is hard to reign back the energy when motivated to exercise. I always push myself too hard.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #4  
Jen

Thanks for the support! I am walk/jogging twice a day gradually increasing my jogging time. It'll be a lot of hard work but looking forward to it in a weird way. Already envisioning where to hang my race number afterwards!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #5  
someday 145

S/C/G: 286/ticker/145

morning. sorry for butting in. i haven't had surgery. i just lurk around and read posts. you guys have such a great support system. anywhos..
jen...there is a great program called C25K. it's a 9 weeks course of walking to running. they also have one for 10Ks. running world put it out. when i did my first 5K i had to learn to run differently. i always did treadmill, and outside is so different. for me it was harder. good luck to you and have a great time doing it.
chipper15173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #6  
Jen

Thanks so much for that. I did see that program when I was looking on-line for help. I am training on a treadmill for now but when the weather is a little nicer at the end of March or April I will start running outside.
Old 01-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #7  

Congrats and remember there is no shame in possibly having to walk at some point. As Jiffy said - it is completing it that matters. I did my first 5K at about your weight and "wogged" (jog/walk). It was the Revlon one in LA and they finished with us running into the coliseum and onto the field. I still remember the feeling.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote