Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

Default Running Shoes (Any Suggestions)

I want to begin the Couch to 5k Program again and I was wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions on a good running shoe that I can purchase. I did the C25K a few years ago and was very successful. I was able to run 6 miles a day but I can't remember what brand running shoes I purchased before I began running. Any suggestions would help. Thank you!

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 01-26-2012 at 10:57 AM.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #2  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

I went to Runners Den. I like it there, because they look at how you walk and how you stride and PICK the right shoe for your feet. They put them on you, and let you go outside and do a small lap to see how your feet like them.
I got a pair of "Brooks".
My feet are super happy in them.
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

I'd go to a specialty running store and get shoes fitted to you for sure! Good running shoes can be pricey but it's SO worth it!
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzingurl77 View Post
I'd go to a specialty running store and get shoes fitted to you for sure! Good running shoes can be pricey but it's SO worth it!
We don't have any specialty running stores. Only have the mall and a few stores that sell running shoes.

Last edited by LAgreeneyes; 01-26-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLindsy View Post
I went to Runners Den. I like it there, because they look at how you walk and how you stride and PICK the right shoe for your feet. They put them on you, and let you go outside and do a small lap to see how your feet like them.
I got a pair of "Brooks".
My feet are super happy in them.
I think they have "Brooks" at our local mall.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #6  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I'm a big weirdo, but I love my Vibram Five Fingers!!! http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_footwear.htm

I have these: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...ila-Womens.htm (in the magenta!)

Also? Go to a LOCAL running store and get fitted. Those big box places sometimes hire crap people that have no idea what you really need.

GL!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I'm a big weirdo, but I love my Vibram Five Fingers!!! http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...s_footwear.htm

I have these: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/pro...ila-Womens.htm (in the magenta!)

Also? Go to a LOCAL running store and get fitted. Those big box places sometimes hire crap people that have no idea what you really need.

GL!
Oooooooooooooooooooooo, I have been seeing those online. How do you like those running shoes?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:46 PM   #8  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

OMG those so remind me of shoes Al Bundy developed on Married With Children. So freaky! I have almost always gotten Brooks runners, very comfortable and great support.
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 AM   #9  

Agreed, go to a local running store.

We cannot fit your feet online.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Make the effort to go in person.

If that is not possible... do the wet footprint on paper thing and figure out if you need an SL 1 last (straight) or an SL 2 (curved) one.

Also figure out your arches -- flat, normal, high?

What about pronatation?

Do you need a wide toe box? Some brands are better than others.

Do you need a narrow heel? Some brands are better than others for that.

How you lace can help with some things but it won't fix all probs if the shoe is just not even close.

I get mine at Zappos.com because I can return easily and swap out if it isn't right.

Try shoe dog to get model ideas.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/...t/shoe-dog.jsp

For the last few years I've gone with New Balance because I need a shoe for underpronators that's cushioning and I have very big feet. I'm trying out a Brooks Glycerin now because that also has wide toe box.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-27-2012 at 08:52 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #11  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Please be careful with the Vibrams, those are a very specific shoe with a very specific purpose and not for most runners.

If you absolutely cannot go to a store then go online to roadrunnersports and at least figure out your foot type to see if you need a Stability, Support, or Neutral shoe.

Good running shoes are probably the single most important when it comes to being a runner. Bad shoes cause more injuries then probably anything else. Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #12  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAgreeneyes View Post
We don't have any specialty running stores. Only have the mall and a few stores that sell running shoes.
Runners World keeps a list of running stores so it wouldn't hurt to double check with their list that there isn't a store in reasonable distance that you just don't know about: http://www.runnersworld.com/store/se...17-0-0,00.html

The thing is, some brands are better at meeting certain needs than others. I overpronate and have a bordering-on-wide-but-not-quite foot, with a narrow heel. I blister easily. When I got fitted, I also weighed quite a bit more than I do now. Asics have been wonderful for me. But for someone else, they may not be so great. When my brother got fitted for his shoes, he got Brooks which have worked great for him. Nike, New Balance, Brooks, Asics, etc etc all have good shoes (and probably the occasional dud) but some may not match your specific needs. And certain styles within a brand are going to be better for you than other styles.

If you don't have luck with finding a running store near you, then yeah I would give that shoe dog a try or runners world also has a shoe advisor (http://www.runnersworld.com/shoeadvisor) - I tried it right after I got my last pair of running shoes out of curiosity and the suggestions were pretty similar to the shoes I was trying on at the running store.

Last edited by Somni; 01-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/158/145

Height: 5'7

You really need to try on the shoes before you buy them. If you don't have a real running store near by, some on-line stores (like Zappos) have a very good return policy if it turns out the shoes don't fit right. Road Runner Sports has a "shoe dog" to try to guess which kind of shoe you need.

There are 3 basic types of feet - 1. People with low arches (usually over-pronators) who need a motion control shoe, 2. People with high arches (either under-pronators or neutral) who need a neutral or stability shoe, 3. People with an average arch (can be neutral, over-pronators or under-pronators) who most likely need a stability shoe. Of course some people just have strange feet. You need to get a shoe that works with your type of foot and stride. Some recommendations:

Low-arches overpronators who need a motion control shoe - Brooks Ariel, ASICS GEL-Evolution, Saucony ProGrid Stabil

High to medium arches neutral runners who need a neutral shoe - Brooks Ghost, Mizuno Wave Rider, ASICS GEL-Cumulus.

Medium arches with some pronation who need a stability shoe - Brooks Trance, ASICS GEL-Kayano, Saucony PowerGrid Hurricane.

Of course there are a lot more shoes that fit these categories. I just picked one type from each of the major brands. My favorites are the Mizuno Wave Rider and the Asics Cumulus. But I have a fairly straight stride and slightly high arches (I'm a neutral runner). Everyone is different, which is why there is no "best shoe" for everyone. Good Luck!
Alenna 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #14  

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I will try to find a running specialty store. It sounds like it's worth the time and money. It's a great investment.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #15  

I googled running stores in my area and I found one that is about 30 miles away. Not too far away right? Well, I read a few reviews online and some of the views.

I always check reviews for stores and products and this is what I read. Not too many reviews.

Quote:
GREAT place to buy tennis shoes. I wear them everyday for my job so it's important that they are good for my feet/body. They watch you walk to try and target your problem areas. Then they will fit you in the shoes that are right for you. Very friendly staff and prime location.

Quote:
Finally got around to going to this store after hearing one of my co-workers sing their praise for months. Went in today to get some shoes to get ready for 5k season. great selection of shoes, not too many racing flats though. Very friendly staff, but probably not the place to go if you want to talk to a runner haha. All in all, great service great selection and competitive prices.
I called the store and asked them if there were any "runners" that worked in the store that actually helps customers and they said yes. He said all of the other workers are trained to do the running analysis (testing).

Are there any specific things that I should look for as far as a good "running" store?

So I guess I will give it a try?