Old 01-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #1  
Re-started IP 01/16/12

S/C/G: 220/206/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Why do people try to sabotage us??

OK, I've only been restarted on IP for 9 days. I work as a medical caseworker so among my coworkers is a mixture of nurses, doctors and people with no medical background at all. Well a few people know that my rheumatologist put me on a diet based mainly on lean protein, and I have a few close friends there who are very supportive. Well apparently word has spread or something?? I was in the break room filling my water bottle the other day and one of the nurses said "Yeah, drink a lot of water to flush out all that protein!!! I'm serious!!!" she walked out before I could say anything. Then today the office bought pizza for everyone so I said I was going to eat my salad and veggies in the other break room so I wouldn't be tempted by the smell of the pizza. One of my friends said "cheese has protein! Can't you have the cheese pizza?" (I don't know about you but I get questions like this ALL the time, like people think anything that remotely has protein in it, I can eat!) I said nope, can't have it, too much fat. The nurse speaks up "Yeah, cheese does have a really high fat content." then next thing I know she pokes her head over my cubicle and says really loud "I DON'T KNOW HEATHER, THIS DIET SOUNDS REALLY ***SCARY***!!!!!" WTH is she talking about?? How does something "sound" scary when I haven't told you anything about it? I asked her "What's so 'scary' about eating lean protein and plenty of vegetables??" suddenly she changed her tone from serious to joking "I just think it's scary not to be able to eat cheese!!" So I said not to worry, I'd be able to enjoy cheese in a few months, but I'm not going to jeapordize my weight loss. I don't know what's up with this chick but it seems like she's trying to make me look like some kind of kook or something, doing some "dangerous" diet... she doesn't even know what diet I'm on other than that it involves protein and veggies which she's seen me eating at work! Some of her comments make me think she's heard something inaccurate about my diet, which means people are gossiping.
Sorry to rant, it's just annoying and I needed to vent!

Also, I constantly have people offering me food even though I'm on a diet.. which is fine, I don't expect those around me to keep track of my own habits - but even when I say no thanks, can't have that, they keep pushing! Just today, someone kindly bought fruit cups for everyone and offered me one... I said no thanks, can't have it and her answer was "awwww are you sure? What about just a little?" dude... this is one of the people I've actually explained the diet too. I don't get this food pushing thing. If I bring a snack or treat to work I just set it out and let people know they're welcome to it. I don't carry it from desk to desk pushing it on people even when they say no thank you!! What is that about??

OK. done venting for real. On the POSITIVE SIDE, today was a great willpower day as I had pizza and fruit cups under my nose all day and stayed OP. HA!
JULIGAL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #2  

GOOD FOR YOU staying strong!!! People are jealous, plain and simple. They're jealous you're doing something for yourself and making smart choices for yourself. I'm an RN so I can say this: Nurses can be totally awesome, but totally NOT awesome too. Blech, I'm embarrassed you've been treated this way from someone who should "know" better! Ignore these stupid people. STAY STRONG! You know this diet is safe, and furthermore you can rub it in their faces every week when you come to work skinnier and skinnier and healthier and healthier.
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/124/?

Height: 5" 4

I would be super annoyed. People should mind their own business. I don't eat at the office and you just reminded me about a coworker that used to always inquire about what I was eating. He can't say anything now but years ago I used to bring a lunch to work and he'd always come up and say "What's that?" me: "Lunch."
Coworker "What is it?"
me: "A sandwich." (duh!)
Coworker: "What's in it?" (Leaning in so his face is nearly into the plate.."Is that mustard"

I couldn't stand it.
HappyHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #4  
Re-started IP 01/16/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoliday View Post
I would be super annoyed. People should mind their own business. I don't eat at the office and you just reminded me about a coworker that used to always inquire about what I was eating. He can't say anything now but years ago I used to bring a lunch to work and he'd always come up and say "What's that?" me: "Lunch."
Coworker "What is it?"
Coworker: "What's in it?" (Leaning in so his face is nearly into the plate.."Is that mustard"

I couldn't stand it.
LMAO!!! I am picturing this guy all in your face and it's crackin me up. Ya know remembering that little story of yours might help me not get all irritated at work - cuz at the end of the day some people are just plain DUMB!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 269/236/180

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIGAL21 View Post
OK, I've only been restarted on IP for 9 days. I work as a medical caseworker so among my coworkers is a mixture of nurses, doctors and people with no medical background at all. Well a few people know that my rheumatologist put me on a diet based mainly on lean protein, and I have a few close friends there who are very supportive. Well apparently word has spread or something?? I was in the break room filling my water bottle the other day and one of the nurses said "Yeah, drink a lot of water to flush out all that protein!!! I'm serious!!!" she walked out before I could say anything. Then today the office bought pizza for everyone so I said I was going to eat my salad and veggies in the other break room so I wouldn't be tempted by the smell of the pizza. One of my friends said "cheese has protein! Can't you have the cheese pizza?" (I don't know about you but I get questions like this ALL the time, like people think anything that remotely has protein in it, I can eat!) I said nope, can't have it, too much fat. The nurse speaks up "Yeah, cheese does have a really high fat content." then next thing I know she pokes her head over my cubicle and says really loud "I DON'T KNOW HEATHER, THIS DIET SOUNDS REALLY ***SCARY***!!!!!" WTH is she talking about?? How does something "sound" scary when I haven't told you anything about it? I asked her "What's so 'scary' about eating lean protein and plenty of vegetables??" suddenly she changed her tone from serious to joking "I just think it's scary not to be able to eat cheese!!" So I said not to worry, I'd be able to enjoy cheese in a few months, but I'm not going to jeapordize my weight loss. I don't know what's up with this chick but it seems like she's trying to make me look like some kind of kook or something, doing some "dangerous" diet... she doesn't even know what diet I'm on other than that it involves protein and veggies which she's seen me eating at work! Some of her comments make me think she's heard something inaccurate about my diet, which means people are gossiping.
Sorry to rant, it's just annoying and I needed to vent!

Also, I constantly have people offering me food even though I'm on a diet.. which is fine, I don't expect those around me to keep track of my own habits - but even when I say no thanks, can't have that, they keep pushing! Just today, someone kindly bought fruit cups for everyone and offered me one... I said no thanks, can't have it and her answer was "awwww are you sure? What about just a little?" dude... this is one of the people I've actually explained the diet too. I don't get this food pushing thing. If I bring a snack or treat to work I just set it out and let people know they're welcome to it. I don't carry it from desk to desk pushing it on people even when they say no thank you!! What is that about??

OK. done venting for real. On the POSITIVE SIDE, today was a great willpower day as I had pizza and fruit cups under my nose all day and stayed OP. HA!

I totally understand where you're coming from! Why do they Think this diet is soo bad? I had people tell me this diet is going to mess up my pancreas, others that our bodies need sugar. Oh and the famous " nothing is going to happen if you if you have a piece" they dont understand how this works. I hate having to explain...
NewSexyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #6  

Height: 5'0"

It's funny, I was a vegetarian for decades and no one ever said a thing and didn't even realize that I didn't eat meat. The minute I go on a weight loss diet, they notice everything that goes into my mouth. I loved it at Christmas - my sister put a plate of baked goods in front of ME and said "you can't have those". I felt so betrayed. Like you, this is a diet that my doctor put me on, so that helps to satisfy people some of the time. It gets harder as people start noticing the weight loss. Thank goodness that there is a place here on the forum where we are all going through it together and can support each other.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #7  
Re-started IP 01/16/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSexyMe View Post
I totally understand where you're coming from! Why do they Think this diet is soo bad? I had people tell me this diet is going to mess up my pancreas, others that our bodies need sugar. Oh and the famous " nothing is going to happen if you if you have a piece" they dont understand how this works. I hate having to explain...
Right?? And on top of it being annoying it's CONFUSING!! At least to me. I do not understand this fascination with what someone ELSE is eating? There have been plenty of dieters in the office over the years and I've never taken the slightest interest, other than if we're having a potluck I always try to bring something healthy so there are at least options. It's just bizarre that people are soooooo nosey lol
Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #8  

Default HaHa!

Quote:
LMAO!!! I am picturing this guy all in your face and it's crackin me up. Ya know remembering that little story of yours might help me not get all irritated at work - cuz at the end of the day some people are just plain DUMB!

You all are killing me! Don't worry, everyone else will be moaning and groaning when it's swimsuit season. That's when you start asking what they are all eating!!
zzsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #9  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Juli..I have had the same thing at work. I think it is an issue of you being different..by trying to eat healthy. Others are threatened that someone is not acting like them and eating everything at the pot luck or celebrating holidays by eating carbs. It is a bizarre desire to control you. I Have not exactly figured it out, but eventually people gave up trying to talk me into eating things!!

Stay strong..You are doing so well. IP really does work and is a wonderful program.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #10  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I said nope, can't have it, too much fat.
Here's something it took me a long time to learn and maybe it'll help a little in your situation. Now when people offer me stuff, I just smile and say no thank you. I NEVER say I can't have that. Somehow saying that seems to put up people's hackles. They get a little defensive. Well, you know the scenario. Anyway, hope this helps.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #11  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Here's something it took me a long time to learn and maybe it'll help a little in your situation. Now when people offer me stuff, I just smile and say no thank you. I NEVER say I can't have that. Somehow saying that seems to put up people's hackles. They get a little defensive. Well, you know the scenario. Anyway, hope this helps.
I'm with Linden, just say, "no thanks." As soon as you mention that you can't have something due to a diet, people can just really get in your face in regards to their pushing the food on you or most commonly, giving you their opinion on your diet. This is the reason I haven't advertised what I'm doing to lose weight. One of my friends, who is on IP, just tells her coworkers that she has cut sugar out of her diet.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 263/182/185

Height: 5'11"

I have noticed that when well-meaning folks offer me off-protocol food that their responses depend on my answer. If I tell them that I'm on a diet, they tend to get defensive or "pushy". If I tell them that I'm diabetic, I'm completely left alone and oftentimes encouraged. If I tell them that I'm on a medically-supervised diet, I get innumerable questions about my diet, medical conditions, weight, etc.

I understand that most people have their own notions of what "healthy" is. I know I did. However, we can't control other people's reactions to our highly restrictive diet for weight loss, but we can only hope to educate on why it works for us.

Last edited by watel; 01-26-2012 at 10:30 AM.
watel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHoliday View Post
Coworker "What is it?"

I couldn't stand it.
Haha! I just had a mental image... (I have a warped sense of humor

Coworker: "what's in it?"

You: "See for yourself" then open your mouth with chewed sandwich.

Bet he doesn't ask about what you're eating again!
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 239.4/ticker/140ish

Height: 5ft 5.5in

I don't have a problem with coworkers (no job ), but my mom and sister are always doing this too. My mom is like, "Emily, you're eating too much protein." I'm like "Mom, I doing what I was told to do." "But Emily, you're not weighing your meat!" "Mom, can you not see me here with this scale?... Two 4oz patties = 8oz of protein!"

And then my size 4/6 sister, who thinks she's fat, is constantly telling me I should be running and that I should train with her for soccer. I don't play soccer. I am having like, 800 calories a day, I should not be running. You have no idea what this diet involves, so stop telling me how I should be doing it!

Erg. At least the friends I've told about it are supportive. Whew. I feel better now that I've ranted.
EmilySebetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilySebetka View Post
I don't have a problem with coworkers (no job ), but my mom and sister are always doing this too. My mom is like, "Emily, you're eating too much protein." I'm like "Mom, I doing what I was told to do." "But Emily, you're not weighing your meat!" "Mom, can you not see me here with this scale?... Two 4oz patties = 8oz of protein!"

And then my size 4/6 sister, who thinks she's fat, is constantly telling me I should be running and that I should train with her for soccer. I don't play soccer. I am having like, 800 calories a day, I should not be running. You have no idea what this diet involves, so stop telling me how I should be doing it!

Erg. At least the friends I've told about it are supportive. Whew. I feel better now that I've ranted.
People just don't understand the diet. Over Thanksgiving I went to my husband's grandmother's house and she kept saying, "I'm just worried you aren't eating enough", and everyone kept saying, "oh, you can have this, can't you? It's sugar-free!" And when I would say "no", they got this look of judgement and confusion on their faces. Try as I might to explain that it is a strict diet and these foods prevent you from losing weight, they just couldn't wrap their heads around it.
I just brush it off. I know that I have more knowledge about healthy nutrition and my body than they do, and it's unfortunate that won't admit it to themselves, even after seeing that it works. Lord knows there are others out there who need it....
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote