Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #1  

Default Going. To. Pull. My. Hair. Out.

I am so at my wits end. I have NO idea what to do next and I am about to plow into a box of girl scout cookies....someone talk me off the ledge!!

Here is the deal. I had been working out two times a week for the last 3 years and watching somewhat what I eat. I didn't gain any weight but I didn't lose much either. I went down one size, nut no weight loss. I am 36, 5'7 and 268. I do have decent muscle tone and when I tell people what I weigh, they don't believe me, neither do the docs when they look at my chart and see my weight. I look like I am heavy, but I don't look like I should at this weight. In Aug. I started Weight Watchers and I lost...........nothing.

So, about 6 weeks ago, I started using Lose It app. I have been eating 1700 calories I started doing the gym 5 days a week. I have been doing weights 2 days a week (a chisel class for an hour with a fairly difficult routine...the same one I have been taking...and I switch it up with boot camp every few weeks and sometimes I toss in a third class..a bootcamp).

The other three days I do the treadmill. I do 8-10 intervals in a 45 minute period where I get my heart rate up to 150 for 1 min and then down to 140 for 2 minutes. I am up to an elevation of 7 with an MPH of 4 (fast walk because my knees are in terrible shape). That's my 150 rate.

Can you all guess how much I have lost? Nothing. NOT EVEN INCHES. Not A BLEEPING pound. I am being very good with the calorie counting. I eat what I want to eat sometimes. If I want some ice cream once a week I do it, because if I totally deprive myself, I will do INSANE. When I do "cheat" it's certainly NOT enough to throw off my whole flipping diet. I have been eating whole grains, salads, egg whites, fruits, veggies, low sugar, low salt) I eat a lot of healthy homemade soups with made w veggies, lean meat, beans, and low fat broth.

I don't know what else to do. The doctors tell me I am lying about what I eat. My thyroid doc tells me "it is what it is". I haven't seen a slice of white bread in years. I take the cheese off the ONE slice of pizza I sometimes allow myself on a Friday night. My best friend doesn't get it. My husband is astonished. He says with as well behaved I am with my eating, there is NO WAY I should be 268.

I am going insane this week because I threw my back out of wack on Sunday at bootcamp and my doc is telling me to take it easy...can't even walk well so I guess I have no choice........

I have been thinking of doing the PINK method. The diet is extreme and insane and crazy. Is THIS what I have to do?????????

I want to lose 100 lbs. Any more than that and my face looks gaunt. At
170, I am a size 14.

WHAT DO I DO????????????????????? I am about to go get several boxes of thin mints and eat them all. All of em. I swear.

Thanks for listening to me.

Jenn
sheridanville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #2  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Are you on thyroid medicine?

Also, have you thought about Ideal Protein? It seems to melt the weight & inches off of everyone regardless LOL.

Just in 2 weeks I've lost 8lbs and almost 3 pants sizes.
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #3  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

I'm also on the low-carb bandwagon. GO Low Carb! I could not lose a dang thing doing the high carb, low fat diets. I could exercise myself to death and not lose a gosh darn thing. I thought I was doomed. Then, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and realized I needed to do something drastic. I'd say, pick a low carb plan and see if it works for you. What can it hurt to try? JMO.
Good luck!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #4  
66 pounds by October 16!

S/C/G: 206/135.6/140

Height: 5'6"

First off, cheers for all the work outs, that's intense. I'm with the others. Go high protein, low carb! It makes all the difference in the world. There are a number of factors that could be keeping the number on the scale from moving. It's hard to know what's going on without a detailed account of what you eat and when. It could be a metabolism issue, hormonal imbalance, all sorts of things. I don't think an extreme or crazy diet is the answer. I'm doing Jackie Warner's meal plan (From the book This is Why You're Fat-- I HIGHLY recommend the book). It's sensible, built to challenge the factors that keep pounds on, and gives you some freedom for 2 meals out of the week so you don't feel "deprived".

Whatever you do, don't undo all your hard workouts with girl scout cookies or ice cream. One serving of ice cream can undo a lot of hard work and takes a lot of exercise to burn off. You said in your post that you "somewhat" watch what you eat, eat what you want "sometimes". You said you haven't seen a piece of white bread, but then said that you take the cheese off of a piece of pizza (which, unless you made it at home) is usually white. I think the somewhats, sometimes, and some misconceptions about the types of foods you eat could be the answer to your problems.

I did Weight Watchers for many years and now that I've tried something else- I see some of the flaws with Weight Watchers "eat what you want within reason" mentality. Don't get me wrong, Weight Watchers is great on many levels- but most of the good advice was just that-advice. They would suggest healthy foods and activities without really pushing the issue. If you wanted to eat a tiny bit of junk that used up all your points, you were free to do that. Just count the points. But ice cream isn't satisfying long term and soon you're wanting to eat again because ice cream has little nutritional value and your body craves nutrients or something more satisfying like protein. Also the program offers more leeway now more than ever for "extra" points. When I first did their program many years ago, it was much stricter and I had more success. I honestly think that they intentionally set you up to eat more than you should so your weight loss takes longer and they get paid every week, month, etc. Do what you common sense tells you. If you want change, change. Finally, you said you don't want to deprive yourself, but you can't think of eating healthily as deprivation or you're setting yourself up to hate the very keys to your success. And don't cheat by eating ice cream because the ice cream is the real deprivation. It's depriving you of your goal.

Hope this helps. I'm not trying to sound preachy, you just sound exactly like I did and the advice I'm giving you is ultimately the advice that helped me.

Last edited by Energizer Jamie; 01-25-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Energizer Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Check with your doctor to see if you have either a metabolic disorder or thyroid problem.
1700 calories a day with your amount of activity should merit some loss, but as others have said, perhaps a switch? I know I lost several pounds last spring doing Medifast, but frankly the food is icky. South Beach is another well-rounded and fairly low carb alternative.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Wow, that's a tough one. Obviously something is out of whack. I did a quick calculation and from what I found it looks as if you should eat about 2000 calories to lose 2 pounds a week (taking into account your activity level), so you should be dropping pounds like mad.

Do you weigh what you eat and track every bite? I'm not questioning your calorie intake, I'm just making sure. It's easy to be off.

Have you been to several doctors or just one? If it's only one (or even 2 or 3), maybe try someone else. Your current doc obviously isn't that interested in helping you if he/she only wants to question your honesty instead of looking for a cause. Is there someone who specializes in weight loss in your area?

That's all I can really think of. Sorry you are finding this so difficult, through no fault of your own also.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCandEs View Post
I'm also on the low-carb bandwagon. GO Low Carb! I could not lose a dang thing doing the high carb, low fat diets. I could exercise myself to death and not lose a gosh darn thing. I thought I was doomed. Then, I was diagnosed pre-diabetic and realized I needed to do something drastic. I'd say, pick a low carb plan and see if it works for you. What can it hurt to try? JMO.
Good luck!
^ this right here is exactly me. When i was eating carbs, and low fat/low cal I was losing like .3-.5 lbs a week which i would usually gain back.. but with low carb im losing weight fast and it feels great and everything tastes good so you dont feel deprived. Good luck
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #8  

Clarification: I eat ice cream, sometimes, as in no fat/low fat and I eat the serving size. And I will have a slice of pizza, whole wheat (thank GOODNESS our place makes it) and I USED to my diet my diet SOMEWHAT, now I am very religious with it. What did I eat today?

1 whole wheat bread flat thingy with 2 egg whites and a slice of fat free american (no spread)

1 O% fat chobani-blueberry

4 tangerines

1 apple

1 salad with grilled chicken, shredded fat free cheese, 2 tbs balsamic vinagrette

1 bowl of Healthy Select soup-Chicken noodle

1 single serve fat free 100 cal pop corn

I still have several hundred calories to eat tonight but I am so pissed off I am not even HUNGRY. I always eat all my calories, I never let one pass me by.

I have hypotyroidism and I have been on meds since 02. Numbers all normal and I feel decent. I am on armor 90 mg daily.

And as far as having a treat here and there, there is NO WAY that a small indulgence once a week, ie fat free ice cream, 1/4 cup, is not allowing me to lose weight. I have gone totally strict before and it still doesn't work. The scale SHOULD move, even if not as FAST!

Let me also say that my kids have a rare autoimmune disorder where their bodies see food as a virus and the body begins to attack itself. At one point they were only allowed chichen, pork, turkey, veggies, rice, oats, and fruit. My hubby and I followed their diet (it was WAY easier than to just do it for the kids.) HE lost 40 lbs. I lost nothing. Because of their disease/diet, I have spent the last 9 years in a nutrionists office...I know food. I can tell you what ingredients are in what, the calories, the good the bad and the ugly. I have been forced to know and its still not working.

I know what I eat. I know people who follow JUST a diet and lose weight. I work my butt off at the gym, AND follow a diet. I don't get it.

Grumpy.

Will read the rest of the posts....be right back!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #9  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

hi! first of DONT EAT THE BOX of cookies!! I know you're strong enough since you are on here asking for support rather than just doing it in hiding so, good for you!!

I kind of feel what you are going through. I have been there, if only for a short period of time (1.5 weeks), I worked out so much and was eating about 800-1200 cals a day. I was so frustrated, I even cried, cuz I thought my body 'is what it is' and I won't be able to lose weight. I was doing partly low carb also. My husband couldn't understand what was going on with me either.

As it turns out, and maybe you have figured it out by now, with as much as I was working out, I definitely wasn't eating enough calories and with my hard workouts, I needed some carbs. (I had always thought carb was my enemy also). I incorporated good carbs in my diet and never went under 1200 calories.

My question is, are you logging absolutely everything in?
just in case those small things are adding up and you're eating too many calories.

and also, are you sure you're eating enough to fuel your body without going over your prescribed daily calorie intake? like others are saying? otherwise, you're body is freaking out from starvation

I'm almost 40 and I thought the secret to weight loss was no carb and 800 cals a day! haha.

like the other advice given here, just give yourself a break and try another angle at the diet thing. see if something else works for you. That's what I had to do and it worked.

I hope you get the success you deserve soon, for working out as much as you have been. you're gonna do it!
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

When was the last time you had the thyroid checked? Could you be IR?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #11  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

It sounds like under treated thyroid to me. The range on thyroid "normal" levels is HUGE, many docs say any TSH between .5 and 5.5 is "normal" but normal is subjective. Many women don't feel right unless their TSH is between 1.0-2.0. What are your labs? You might need a dosage bump. It is really hard to lose weight when you are hypothyroid. I know, because I have Hashimotos and when my thyroid ain't happy, nobody's happy. And nobody's losing any weight!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #12  

My first doc said to me that I was eating too much, keep a food diary, so I did. He looked at it and said that I was lying and if I WASN'T lying, then I was eating too much fruit???

The second lady I saw last a few weeks ago said I was lying about my excercise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My new endocronologist told me "it is what it is" and that I need to "deal with it". He was 500 lbs. He said my heart is strong, I am not disbetic, my cholesterol is great, but resting pulse is 65 and and blood pressure 114/70. Deal with it. ??????????

Even if I ate more than I should, at 5 days a week excercising, there is no way for me not to see a loss? Right? Even a .3 of a pound???? I never worked out this much, by default, I would lose SOMETHING????

I mean, my one chisel class....the instructor is INSANE. We do like 60-75 reps of everything. The girls in there are using like 4 lbs weights and struggle and I am using 8 lb and doing ok. I can do 100 squats with 5 lb weights.

I keep beating myself up about it and I am so frustrated. I am going to look into the suggestions...no carb? What is the best one?

Thank you all for your replies...sorry I am so frustrated...I am so over it!!!AND to top it off, not going to the gym bc of my back, and my ENT put me on 10mg of prednisone this week!!!!!!!!!!! I have been getting CHRONIC sinus infections. It SUCKS!!!! I swear I am going to gain 10 lbs JUST from the steroids.

Sniff sniff
Old 01-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #13  

I have to go to see a WHOLE NEW endo bc of that last guy. He was like, "What are you complaining about, I weigh 500 lbs" What DOCTOR says that?????????????

I might need more. I have been about .1 for awhile. I don't have my recent labs. They tried to switch me to synthroid and it was a disaster. Mine is all natrual bovine (or pig???) horomone and it is apparently hard to maintain what each pill has. I haven't noticed any lows with it. I spazzed with the synthoid tho. Crash and burn.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well... could be you're overdoing it with the exercise. Since you have to take it easy anyway, keep your calories the same and see what happens over the next two weeks. It's all trial and error.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #15  

I was insulin resistant during pregnancy, but they say not now? I also had PCOS but that seems to have resolved after the birth of my second child. All good now.