Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #1  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/130

Height: 5'7

Default 5K In 2 weeks

On a whim I decided to sign up for a 5k run.
A little about me, I have been running for maybe 5 months now. I can run a mile easy. I have only been able to run 2 miles without stopping once. After that 2 mile run, I have never been able to run that again. I don't know if my body is rejecting running. But it sucks! I know my body is fully physically capable to run 2 miles. But my BRAIN wont let me. It's a tough fight.
I remember watching TBL and thinking, its not psychological at all. But it really is. Well, for me I know it is.
Anyway, it just feels like my body wont be able to keep up. When I walk I feel like I can run, I'm not tired its just not my brain and body cooperating.

Any tips on how to get past this point?

I have a 5k to run Feb. 12th, and I would hate to end up walking it when I KNOW I can run it!
Help!?
TheLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

I have the same problem. There's nothing physical keeping me from running it, just my brain freaking out.

If only I knew what to do about it.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #3  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

I wish there was just an "Off" button for my brain. Just to let my body do what it needs to do! Sheesh!
Old 01-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #4  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

How fast are you running? Maybe it seems counter-intuitive as you'll be running longer to go the same distance, but how about running slower and seeing how far you can get that way?

I run very slowly, and every time I start I think I won't be able to do it (I'm still pretty new to running - I started running in September and did it for about 6 weeks before I had to stop, and I just started again 2 weeks ago), but I can make it 4 miles at a slow pace (4.5 mph). If I pick up the speed much more I find it much harder to go for longer - and it's definitely more mental than anything, as I routinely maintain a higher heart rate on the bike or eliptical than I do when running! Keeping it slow definitely helps me a lot.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 AM   #5  
say what?

Wish I could help, I am struggling through the same thing. I am desperately holding onto c25k because on my own I barely run an inch. lol. But knowing that I should be able to do it helps me.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/220/150

Height: 5'6

Do we need to be running, how about if we walk,.i running. I know I can walk 5k in an hour ive done it before, I just neef to.concentrate
BABYPHAT4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #7  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

I run my mile's at a 5.0 with an incline of 1% Just so I'm not smacking my feet down on a flat surface.

I wish I could do the C25K. But 2 weeks isn't long enough to put that into shape. lol I want to see if I can do it, and STICK to it.

I can walk some of it I suppose. I just feel like my body CAN jog it. I know that if I need to walk I can. I want to be able to say that I ran a 5k.. not walk/ran a 5k. I expect too much from myself I think...

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLindsy View Post
I run my mile's at a 5.0 with an incline of 1% Just so I'm not smacking my feet down on a flat surface.

I wish I could do the C25K. But 2 weeks isn't long enough to put that into shape. lol I want to see if I can do it, and STICK to it.

I can walk some of it I suppose. I just feel like my body CAN jog it. I know that if I need to walk I can. I want to be able to say that I ran a 5k.. not walk/ran a 5k. I expect too much from myself I think...

Thanks everyone for your input.
That's exactly my running pace. But I found when I visited my parents (nice warm climate) that it was easier to sustain a run outside -- I think I move a little more slowly, thus running longer, plus there's stuff to see outside. My mind got distracted more easily. "Oooo -- look at the sky! Look at the cacti! Look at that funny house! I wouldn't want a mailbox shaped like a manatee!"
shanhat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #9  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhat81 View Post
That's exactly my running pace. But I found when I visited my parents (nice warm climate) that it was easier to sustain a run outside -- I think I move a little more slowly, thus running longer, plus there's stuff to see outside. My mind got distracted more easily. "Oooo -- look at the sky! Look at the cacti! Look at that funny house! I wouldn't want a mailbox shaped like a manatee!"
That made me laugh so hard! I used to hate running outside, I felt like everyone was looking at me. But now I don't really like to run on a treadmil. Id prefer to be outside. It just seems easier, because you can look back on how for you have gone. Idk that is just me I think. :P
Old 01-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #10  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

Yeah the psychological barriers are a pain. I'm facing them right now. I had an experience with a bad pair of shoes and now my body is anticipating pain when I run so I'm balking at distances.

You could try to build up to 2 miles again with some set walking breaks. Run a mile then walk for 10 minutes and repeat twice. That way you are running three miles total but the break makes it seem like less of a crazy thing. As you carry on that way, you body will probably eventually say "Who needs a break?" and you'll run right through it.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #11  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

I thought I would update you guys, today I ended up running 2.1 miles non stop at 5mph with 1% incline.
I could have gone more, but my sock was rubbing the ball of my foot raw. now I have a huge blister. YAY.

It all really is psychological. I know that if I didn't have my ipod I would have stopped too. I need something to distract me. I get lost in the music and just keep going without thinking.

Thanks for all the tips!!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210.2/202.8/150

I have no input to give to this thread. I just wanted to wish you luck for the 5K. Barriers aside, you might even get a rush of adrenaline on the day and keep going?
I've just started running (Friday was my first day) using the C25K app' and I can't believe I have ran both Friday and Saturday! Running scares me. I feel awkward. I feel like I can't get my breathing right. Once I start I feel like I need to give up but the C25K app' kept me going right the way through. Its a different barrier to yours (and the beginning of the C25K app' is such a smal feat) but I guess I'm just saying, I get it.
Good luck.
LW12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #13  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

LW12: Thanks! When I started to run, I was the same way. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I thought my feet were gonna fall out from under me, I would trip. But you get past that.
I know it sounds odd, but after the first lap I tend to find my stride, and breathing pattern. Once you get to that point, you will know that I mean.
Running scared the crap out of me when I began too. But you will get more and more comfortable with it as you keep going. Just don't stop!
You will have good running days, and bad running days. But never give up.
Good luck to you and your C25K!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

From my experience also race day is so exciting. I did a 5k back in nov, and I hadn't been running at all! Like maybe 1 run in the month and a half leading up to it. However the day came and I set a time in my mind thinking I wouldn't be able to run the majority of it. You may surprise your self in that situation. I ran most of it, maybe walked 1/4 of a mile. I just kept pushing, and blew my time out of the water. Also pick some one with a similar pace and just keep up with them. They don't have to know! ;-) Good luck! make sure to let us know how you do! It is a GREAT feeling, just completing your first one!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #15  
Sweat Sweat Sweat!

Thanks beachlover! I'm counting on my adrenaline to help me out as well.
I hope the person I keep up with is a sexy guy with a nice back for me to drool at. hahah